Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to keep the PC warm in the winter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to keep the PC warm in the winter?

Well winter is here and one thing i never figured was the cold being a factor. Well now that is dropping below freezing the PC will not start up. Any ideas what i can do to maybe keep it alittle warmer. I was thinking about wrapping it up but then it might over heat once it gets cracking
    2009 Volkswagon Tiguan
    Custom Built Carpc, Only way to go

trader007(i think thats the member name) found a small heating pad to use.

usually it is the hdd that will not allow the system to boot because the fluid in the bearings will not allow it to spin up, so, from what i have read, most will let the computer start up, and after some time to worm up the drive, hard reboot the system so taht it can properly load...
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

mine wont even boot untill it is running for a little bit
      2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

so far I haven't run into any issues
        though I've got a laptop that I keep in suspend mode, so there's a little 'heat' going through the board/drive
        03 Hyundai Elantra GT {Worklog}
        HP TC4400; 250GB SATA, WiFi, BT, 12.1" touch
        RideRunner; w/ mobilephone.net, OBDMPG, mediaart, RRMedia, DFXVoice and more...
        cmdRR tall skin creator

86 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
        possible carpc install

Comment

i am not sure if there is a senor or what. everything is solid state no moving parts
          2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

There is a guy in the forum who built a computer in the engine bay. Works if you turn on the computer after running the car for a bit.
            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

little up date on this. I moved the PC off the steel floor and to the top of the seat. seems that it turns on fine now. i am thinking there has to be some kind of switch controled by tempurature
              2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

lol this is the 2nd "hottest" thread

Yeh, sorry I couldn't contribute anything worth while

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                  There is a guy in the forum who built a computer in the engine bay. Works if you turn on the computer after running the car for a bit.
                  Found it here:

In the guy's signature there's a list of "cold weather mobo", you might want to check it out.
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

that looks cool but for the way i drive it would get wet in the engine bay
                    2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

what motherboard do you have? because i know for a fact that some intel boards do have internal sensors that will not allow the boards to post if the temp is out of a certain range.... its in the datasheets. thats the problem i had, you had to turn it on and it would power up... just no post beeps or post. after a few minutes you could turn off power and turn it back on and it works fine... its like it can heat itself up a little (leaving it in standby isnt a bad idea for the winter, it would be nice to install a 2nd small car battery somewhere just to keep the pc in sleep)

i ended up using a reptile thin film heating pad. its only 8w, and wont overheat. problem is my motherboard is now toast (or it seems, i think it will work again once it sits inside a warm room for a few days).

Comment

ASUS AT3N7A-I Intel Atom 330, it does have a sensor on the board i believe. Seems like if i allow power to heat the board it will start with some time automatically. I am going to move it under the driver seat or find a solar powered low amp heat pad to keep the area warm during the winter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131408
                        2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/carb...te=google_base

something like this might work
                          2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Water...ht_1973wt_1273

doing some looking this might be even better. connect it to a 12volt 3 amp solar panel and 12 volt ign hook up might just do it for me
                            2009 Volkswagon Tiguan

Comment

those are expensive and get really hot. check out the reptilian heaters from pet stores, they get warm but wont overheat... i still havent had the means to fully test them myself yet, but my mainboard is staying warm to the touch....

Comment

Working...
                              X