Windows 7 users.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 users.

I have heard great things about Win 7, and me personally love the OS. Its very fast, looks great, and seems to be more touch screen friendly. I obviously use XP in the car, but really want to migrate to 7. What are the CONS of going over to 7. Is their anything that do not work in 7 yet? As you know my install is very big, with 3 soundcards and god knows how many USB devices. Most of the stuff is now fixed, so it will be a b!+ch for me to have to switch anything out. Thanx for any comments and or advice.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Window 7 doesn't suck

what I can say that it doesn't suck it seems use resources just as efficiently, if not more as XP. I installed it on my netbook and CarPC a week and a half ago. I have a Carnetix 2140, Lilliput TS LCD, RideRunner, Iguidance 4 running without a hickup. Just turn off the UAC and it rocks. I love the new keyboard, and if you install while your TS LCD is attached it will pretty much plug and play. But the calibration was inverted so I found TS kit here http://www.touchkit.com/drivers.htm and it rocks now. in short I LOVE IT. and this is coming from a guy who sick of windows and uses OSX leapord on a MBP as his primary machine.
    "Camputer - 2005 Toyota Camry LE"

Comment

I was an early adopter of Win 7 on my truck PC. Sure it was tricky at first figuring everything out, but overall I'm very happy. Only downside so far is that I've heard that the new voice recognition plugin that Jebus is working on will not work in Win 7, although I haven't tried it yet.
      TruckPC - gutted, being used for test setup
      BoatPC - All in 1 in cuddy, N7 using VNC on dash, RR
      BlazerPC - Nexus 7 with Timur's USBROM

Comment

It uses a bit more resources than XP, but it's not noticeable if you have a fast system. I run Win 7 on all my home computers, but my carpc is still XP. I did try Win 7 lite on the carpc, but I had hibernation issues with the touchscreen.

One thing I noticed about Win 7 that is that you can't seem to change the size of the scroll bars, menu, title bar etc like you could with XP, so you can't make things bigger and easier to use for a touchscreen. So Im not sure what you mean that Win 7 is more touch friendly?

Comment

It's the best windows so far. If tuned, same/better performance as XP, with more reliability.
          Recommended.
          Check my worklog:
          Corsa + Atom + Gentoo Linux + 9" capacitive touchscreen

Lord of the boards: DFI CP100-NRM

"Or you can try Ubuntu, but than don't tell everyone you are using linux,
          because it's just a secret unreleased prebeta of Windows 3829" :P

Comment

Originally posted by sharpmusic View Post
            I found TS kit here http://www.touchkit.com/drivers.htm and it rocks now.
            Do you know if the driver will run under W7 64Bit?
            New Car PC Build list in progress

Comment

I have a dual boot carpc (SP3), but never came back to it since installing win7. I figured a way to use hybrid sleep, so I only resume/boot once a week, work days are all instant (2-4s) on. It wakes faster than my OEM radio! No coming back from this ever.
              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I'll have to agree... Windows 7 is definately worth it if you're going to move to anything. Driver support has been good, and is quite fast ...about as fast as XP was on my same setup.

I have it setup on an SSD using FBWF and have been very pleased so far. I can't use hybrid sleep, but no big deal to me. Boot times fall around the 15 second mark.

Zotac 610i mini-itx board
                Celeron E3200 @ 3.4Ghz (STOCK VOLTAGE! )
                2GB ddr2
                32GB SSD
                80GB data (stores movies, music, drivers, etc)
                Asus Xonar DX pci-e soundcard
                QStarz q818x gps USB/Bluetooth gps receiver
                Lilliput EBY701
                Airlink usb wireless N
                some cheap bluetooth micro-adapter
                OBDPros scantool

Comment

Thanx guys for all your input. I will most def go with Win 7. How do you think Win 7 will run on a 1.6ghz single core system with 2 GB of RAM? I have my other six computers that I am installing into my car, but if Win 7 will not work right, I can put XP on those.
                  Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I doubt win7 will be much more demanding than XP. The problem may be flash apps and visualizations, NAV software, Webcam, phone, etc. For instance, CF3 can be very demanding - under XP or Win7, but your mileage may vary.

But if you have other computers to share the workload, I can't see why not. If you plan to use MAME, serial inputs and joysticks, etc. I would stick with XP. Bluetooth, and newer technologies (TV wireless streaming, etc.) I would use Win7. With 6 computers, if they're going to be networked, they can be safely and easily connected via Win7's "homegroup" (they will all share a crypto key and that's it, all homegroup folders are shared, internet connection can be shared, etc. XP can be a nightmare, it can be connected via wi-fi and insist on using your mobile phone that was previously connected, etc.).
                    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Win7 runs pretty good in D945GCLF (1.6ghz single core w/2gb ram) and D945GCLF2, even Aero works decently. Don't expect a lot out of it, but it's good enough. I'd say it's about on par with XP. However watch out for compatibility issues. My copy of photoshop 7 runs very unstable... that's the only proggy I've had issues with so far, other than the free version of RealVNC not working at all with win7. The paid version works great.
                      Tidder

Try RevFE
                      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Windows 7 runs great for me, with full Aero support even. As for the VNC issues, I use LogMeIn Free and it works perfect, the only thing is, you have to uninstall LogMeIn's mirror driver or it will constantly crash Windows when you remote into your computer.
                        After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
                        New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

Bah, but who wants an internet based vnc proggy when you already have the network right here?
                          Tidder

Try RevFE
                          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

True, but LogMeIn even allows access through NAT without port forwarding, so I don't have to mess with anything, plus I can keep tabs on it if I ever take it to the shop and they mess with it.
                            After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
                            New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

Working...
                            X