Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my battery keeps dieing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • my battery keeps dieing.

    so a couple months ago when i first got my truck i installed my carpc and then the battery crapped out so i went out and bought a new batter and everything was cool for a couple months until now. i let my truck sit for a few days over christmas break and when i went to go start it up it was completely dead. so i unhooked all power lines to my setup and jumped my truck and drove it like that for a couple days in hopes that it would charge back up. it all seemed good until yesterday when it died again with nothing hooked up except the negative and ignition wires to my m2. I had this exact same setup in my 92 acura legend and had no problems in there. Now i have an 03 ford ranger and it keeps eating batteries. the only thing i could think of is that my acura had a much better quality battery in there than my ranger.
    What should i unhook if i was to not start my truck for a few days so my battery doesnt die?

  • #2
    Maybe your battery no longer holds charge after you drained it? I completely drained mine about 5 times before it would no longer hold a charge. When it did go, there wasn't really anything on (except my obdpro) that would drain it, it just died. Now I have a optima yellow-top and I must say, I really like it so far.

    If you take it down to an autozone or a les schwab, they can test out your battery and get you a new one.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

    Comment


    • #3
      i was hoping thats not the problem considering the battery is only 2 months old. good thing i got it from sams club (they have no return policy)

      any suggestions as to what to unhook if im going to leave my truck sit for a few days? seems like just unhooked the amp and the power line to my m2 was not enough. unless the battery was already shot by the time i unhooked everything

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mm87 View Post
        i was hoping thats not the problem considering the battery is only 2 months old. good thing i got it from sams club (they have no return policy)

        any suggestions as to what to unhook if im going to leave my truck sit for a few days? seems like just unhooked the amp and the power line to my m2 was not enough. unless the battery was already shot by the time i unhooked everything
        If you've unhooked everything that would drain it and the battery is still dying, then I would question its ability to hold a charge.
        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

        Comment


        • #5
          ford ranger alternators are the type that can have diodes go bad and you get no warnings. the truck will work fine if you start it everyday, but if you let it sit for a couple days the battery will be flat.

          its an easy test... if you unhook your positive cable to tbe battery (the big one/all of them), you can put an ampmeter between the battery and the cable, and youll probably notice its drawing around 1 amp.

          replacing your alternator is cheap and easy, so it might be worth a shot. again, even if you have the alternator tested they will say its charging fine... not everyone checks the diodes to make sure theyre solid though. i know all this cause my ranger ate batteries to no end for 6 months before i finally decided to replace the alternator. once that worked, i read up on my what actually happened and it makes sense now... just something you dont normally think about.

          Comment


          • #6
            thanks for that information.. but i dont think either my battery or my alternator are bad.. i think its just the fact that the m2 never completely stops drawing power and if it sits for more than a couple days the batter goes dead.. i removed everything and drove it for a few days like that with no problems.. so i think all is well

            Comment


            • #7
              i think its just the fact that the m2 never completely stops drawing power and if it sits for more than a couple days the batter goes dead
              That is a possibility. Especially if you live in a colder climate. Batteries tend to lose some of their capacity during cold temperatures.

              __________________
              Laptop GPS World

              Comment


              • #8
                Now that you have made another post about the monitor power cable frying, I beleive that part of both issues is due to short, or poor connection somewhere. I would higly recommend you go over your entire install to make sure that it is not grounding out where it shouldn't.
                My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mm87 View Post
                  thanks for that information.. but i dont think either my battery or my alternator are bad.. i think its just the fact that the m2 never completely stops drawing power and if it sits for more than a couple days the batter goes dead.. i removed everything and drove it for a few days like that with no problems.. so i think all is well
                  How much power does the M2 draw? Did you check it out with an ammeter?
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                    Now that you have made another post about the monitor power cable frying, I beleive that part of both issues is due to short, or poor connection somewhere. I would higly recommend you go over your entire install to make sure that it is not grounding out where it shouldn't.
                    I'll second this recommendation. Also as a side note, your monitor should not ever be able to draw anywhere near enough amperage to melt down the wire unless it is in fact shorted out somewhere, possibly even inside the monitor itself or if it were electronically damaged. That electrical smoke sure does stink though doesn't it? I have melted more than my share of voice coils back in my SPL days to know it all too well.
                    Data911 M5 system
                    RR and iGo8PC
                    Pioneer head unit
                    Pioneer DEQ-9200 digital processor
                    Phoenix gold line drivers
                    Ultimate and Visonik amplifiers
                    SMT 3 way active front stage
                    Digital Design sub woofers
                    3 runs of 0 gauge wire

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by thewizard View Post
                      That electrical smoke sure does stink though doesn't it? I have melted more than my share of voice coils back in my SPL days to know it all too well.
                      hahaha.. yea its got a very distinctive smell. the smell hit me before i seen any smoke so i was like wtf is that smell thinking it came from inside me haha.. then i saw the smoke and thought i my truck was going to burn to the ground

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i know a mechanic that just sent out a customers car and 30min later he got a call back saying the truck was burned to a crisp. engine caught fire, and he did not have an extinguisher. long story short he has to wait for the fire department to gear up and get there.. so no more truck for him.

                        i dont know how anyone can drive without an extinguisher, but too many people do.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X