Getting shocked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting shocked

Whenever I get into the car and turn it on, then get out and touch the body, I get a nice big shock. This is whether the computer is running or not. Is this a common problem and is there a common fix?

I have the same problem with my parents car

I have NO idea whats causing it.. or.. well.. my parents car has carpeting on the floors inside the car. Mine does not... maybe friction is charging us up ?

it really sucks *hehe*

Richard
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

We've had this one on a crx forum Im on, and a lot of people put it down to the tyres on the car. I used to get a shock off my crx with P6000's fitted, now have A539's and no shocks any more.

Dave

Comment

I get shocks in my S-10 as well, but I don't think it has anything to do with a carputer, since I don't have one. It's happened to me in lots of cars I've driven. I actually think it has to do with my shoes rubbing the carpets in the truck, then grounding when I get out.

Comment

funny thing is... in my car... it makes a difference what shoes i'm wearing... if i wear my SAO boots, no shock, my nike xtrainers, no shock, my adidas, i get shocked.... why/how? i have no idea
          Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
          Mods: Yep
          Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

It's called static, deal
            [H]4 Life
            My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
            It will be done sometime in the next generation.
            I'm a lesbian too.
            I am for hire!

Comment

Probably has something to do with the material the shoe's soles are made up of.

Comment

Damn this almost freak me out... I had both the waterflow and this thread in a Swedish motorforum recently

if you hold into your car's frame while getting out, you get small shocks instead of one large like when you close the door.

to prevent the problem, you could use the key to discharge yourself before closing the door(when standing outside).
                -
                My cars
                -

Comment

I saw a report on the news a few months back about people blowing up at gas stations because of static...
                  http://www.jeepmp3.com/
                  CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
                  Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by PatO
                    I saw a report on the news a few months back about people blowing up at gas stations because of static...
                    whatever

Wait, were they filling portable conatiners ? If so, I wthdraw my whatever
                    [H]4 Life
                    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

in auto, my teacher had that prob with his truck, so what he does is as your getting out, have your keys in your hand, touch one end of the key, and touch the other end to a bare piece of metal, releases the static, no shock to you :-)

Comment

I'd think it'd be a bad earth/ground from the car to the actual ground from the tires if its a sizable shock, otherwise id think just normal static. You could try getting those fugly dragging ground strips that provide a "better" ground .
                        -Nick

Comment

What kind of car is it? My parents have had a few Hondas, and the Hondas always would shock you upon getting out of the car. I always chalked it up to the type of material they use for seat covering or carpeting (b/c you are sliding across it getting out of the car). I have never seen another brand of automobile suffer from this as bad as Hondas.

You could always move up to leather...

Jeremy

Comment

It also depends on what material your cloths are made of.

Comment

Its my shoes. Every car I get out of I get shocked. I've learned to transfer the energy with the tips of my fingers to hurt less.
                              ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                              Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                              All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                              Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X