Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fusion Brain digital output for HVAC.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fusion Brain digital output for HVAC.

    I'm in the process of installing the car PC in my van and want to incorporate HVAC control into it. It has the Fusion Brain 4.0 which has 16 digital outputs and 13 analog inputs. I have already done some analysis of the situation in this thread:

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...mc-savana.html

    I realized the Fusion Brain's digital outputs are not variable. It's either 0 volts (off) or 5 volts (on). That's good for turning on and off switches, but I want to control the temperature. This is done via a servo motor which opens a flap to determine how much heat to let in. The servo is controlled by a controller. The controller determines how far the temperature blend door is open based on a signal from the temperature dial. The temperature dial acts like a rheostat or potentiometer and has 21 different inputs it can send to the controller.

    I determined that it is a variable resistor logic input. This means that it starts out with zero resistance and goes up to full resistance. I'm not yet sure which one is full open and which one is full closed, but that won't be hard to figure out.

    All that being said, I would need the Fusion Brain to output a signal of varying resistance (21 "buttons" in Road Runner) to mimic the temperature dial. Since the digital outputs can only be on and off, it can't vary the voltage. I did notice that it has PWM capability, however I'm not sure if that can help me achieve my goal. Any help is greatly appreciated. (Greenman perhaps?)
    Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

    Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
    - Edit skin to liking.
    - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
    - Facilitate HVAC control.

  • #2
    Originally posted by stonestatue View Post
    I'm in the process of installing the car PC in my van and want to incorporate HVAC control into it. It has the Fusion Brain 4.0 which has 16 digital outputs and 13 analog inputs. I have already done some analysis of the situation in this thread:

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...mc-savana.html

    I realized the Fusion Brain's digital outputs are not variable. It's either 0 volts (off) or 5 volts (on). That's good for turning on and off switches, but I want to control the temperature. This is done via a servo motor which opens a flap to determine how much heat to let in. The servo is controlled by a controller. The controller determines how far the temperature blend door is open based on a signal from the temperature dial. The temperature dial acts like a rheostat or potentiometer and has 21 different inputs it can send to the controller.

    I determined that it is a variable resistor logic input. This means that it starts out with zero resistance and goes up to full resistance. I'm not yet sure which one is full open and which one is full closed, but that won't be hard to figure out.

    All that being said, I would need the Fusion Brain to output a signal of varying resistance (21 "buttons" in Road Runner) to mimic the temperature dial. Since the digital outputs can only be on and off, it can't vary the voltage. I did notice that it has PWM capability, however I'm not sure if that can help me achieve my goal. Any help is greatly appreciated. (Greenman perhaps?)
    Where you get in trouble is trying to run inductive loads (motors, servos, incandescent lights) off the digital ports. Your probably going to need some additional circuitry and hardware between your fusion brain and the systems you want to control.

    Do a search, because there are people that have done it on this board. You might want to check out RelayPros.com for some more robust controller options. Good luck!

    VegasGuy

    Comment


    • #3
      you need a digital pot. look them up. you want the "pushbutton" type, then emulate pushbuttons with digital outputs.

      Comment


      • #4
        Can you replace the servo with a standard R/C servo? They use PWM to control position.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

        Comment


        • #5
          I am not sure how easy it would be to fit.
          Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

          Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
          - Edit skin to liking.
          - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
          - Facilitate HVAC control.

          Comment


          • #6
            Regarding the digital potentiometer, how exactly would that work?
            Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

            Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
            - Edit skin to liking.
            - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
            - Facilitate HVAC control.

            Comment


            • #7
              Why not having a look at the eyeR interceptor pro. It has many dedicated HVAC features and also a back up custom infrared remote for when you PC hasn't booted up yet or fails. Though if you already have a fusion brain, and like the idea of a dedicated HVAC remote you can now buy the remotes seperately. It's has intergrated servo and PWM control.. Just a thought.

              Comment


              • #8
                It looks interesting, but can it emulate variable voltage outputs?
                Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

                Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
                - Edit skin to liking.
                - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
                - Facilitate HVAC control.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
                  you need a digital pot. look them up. you want the "pushbutton" type, then emulate pushbuttons with digital outputs.
                  Could I use one digital potentiometer that outputs different voltage levels or would I need one digital potentiometer for each dial setting (21)?
                  Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

                  Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
                  - Edit skin to liking.
                  - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
                  - Facilitate HVAC control.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can you hook up an RC/PWM type servo to the mechanical Temperature dial? System would be something like this.

                    Front end > FusionBrain > PWM Servo > Temperature dial > Controller > OEM Servo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by stonestatue View Post
                      Could I use one digital potentiometer that outputs different voltage levels or would I need one digital potentiometer for each dial setting (21)?
                      You would use one digital pot that outputs different resistance levels. You need 21 "steps", which you probably won't find, but you can probably get 25 or something similar.

                      The interface is by "up/down" switches, which you would emulate with the FB.
                      2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                      Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
                      Blog

                      Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                      The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X