Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major problem with my car pc, BSOD.. killing me..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major problem with my car pc, BSOD.. killing me..

Ok guys,

I wasnt too sure were to put this as im not sure what my problem is really... i have come to a few conclusions but i will get to them in a moment... i have attached a picture of the screen i constantly get.. now i dont know why... ALL the time this happens, i formatted my drive, and could barely install win 7 because it would happen mid install, even when its installed i can barely make progress without it dieing..

This also happened when i had win XP on there... the reason im aiming for help now is, im finally getting my install going in and using it, but now that im trying to set it up, im seeing there is a fatal problem here..

After googling numerous diffferent things i think i have pinned it down to two things... i think. either a overheating problem? Which i think is unlikely because of the conditions i have been running this in, but at the same time it does occur more i think when its warmer.. the other problem im leaning towards is a bad memory stick... DDR2 i think its just cheap **** i bought years ago when i bought all my hardware... i took it out, blew the whole PC over with the air gun.. cleaned it all out and re-installed.. and nothing.

I also found a blurp of text on the web saying that a guy slowed his ram speed down in bios and it solved it for it.. i tryed this also, and it did seem to lessen the problem.. but after i try and do updates and more things on the PC it kills me evrytime but shutting down my progress.. most the time ruining the progress ive made by not being able to get back into my OS... and therefore another format.

I thought maybe it was the OS but it cant be after using both XP and win 7... it still occurs... its happened ever since i got the whole setup..

I have bid on some new ram 1gig of kingston DDR2 ram and im hoping that helps? or cures my problem...

Anyways i hope u guys have some sort of insight or maybe have delt with this before and can help... this as ruined my day as i literally spent the whole day trying to cure this problem and still ended up with a formated drive.

My board is a Jetway J7F5 VDE mobo.. and the ram im not sure on... i was also thinking a BIOS update might help. but i really dont know...

Thanks for reading guys..

ps: it reads "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
    Attached Files

I'm thinking that if you are getting that blue screen on both OS's, that it is most likely something hardware related. I have a suggestion. If you have a CD/DVD drive, Download, burn to CD, and run a copy memtest86+ 4.00 to test the ram. Your windows 7 install DVD should have a memory test utility on it as well. It's in the area called "Repair my computer" when you boot from the windows DVD. If you don't have a CD/DVD drive, try a copy of Ultimate boot CD which you can run from a USB stick. That also has a copy of memtest86+ 4.00 on it.
    ATTENTION FELLOW CAR PC ENTHUSIASTS, POWER ACOUSTIC = CAR PC KRYPTONITE!!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

To my adoring fans, No my Toyota's gas pedal didn't get stuck! Instead I saw you crossing the street and decided to floor it! Unfortunately, I MISSED!!!

Comment

I had a similar problem with my Intel board. It turned out to be the board didn't like the memory I had installed and swapping it for a different brand worked.

Comment

Windows KB articles:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183169

Good luck!
        After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
        New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

Thanks guys this is promising. Ill get some new ram in it this weekend And see how It runs.

Ryann,

Comment

what type of hard disk are you using?
            Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

Hey Guys,

Heres the HDD im using ..

Western Digital
              5vdc 0.68A
              12vdc 0.55A

Drive parameters:
              LBA 625142448
              320 gig

Model: WD3200AAKS - 00VYA0
              Date: 01 Sep 2007
              DCM: HBNCHTJAHN
              Attached Files

Comment

You could also try your drive with tools like these:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...sid=30&lang=en

Check your SMART report (you can do that with speedfan too).
                Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Jetways have huge memory issues. If the RAM is not compatible BSODs happen all the time. Select RAM from the compatible RAM list for your mobo, and even then it may not work.

Also have you tried it with a desktop power supply?
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Hey 2k i havent tryed a desktop power supply no, did u receive my PM aswell 2k? about a week ago.

but i came across this about unbuffered RAM, i may be stupid but does this differ from normal, or that is normal?

Testing with these programs ur showing me and memory tests, do they usually work? and can they usually repair?... Arggh i hate these types of problems. lol

ill get some ram this week, currently working away from home so its hard to diagnose this as fast as id like.

Ryann.
                    Attached Files

Comment

just for the note its 512 of corsair ram, im going to get some replacement tomorrow

Comment

Ok so after another full day of messing around I've come to I think a few conclusions. One being its not ram. Two the blue screens of death are nearly always different from the previous.

Itryed to boot at one stage and was only getting a loud 4 second beep and nothing else. I fiddled with the heatsink and that fixed it. But it confused me. Only a lil movement and it was good again. Then I noticed it was loose. Now with it completely removed it wouldn't boot and obvious the temp was way up. But this for me Googling. Obviously the heatsink is playing a vital part in its operation and it was loose from the thermal paste...

Does anyone think its possible that this could be creating my problem's. It makes alot of sense to the randomness of the problem too. Any suggestions

Comment

Usually the BSOD is caused by driver issues. Maybe try running linux on the hardware and see if it freezes. If it runs fine with linux, you know it's a software issue. If it freezes or gives errors in linux than you know it's a hardware issue.
                          Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

Originally posted by blk02si View Post
                            Usually the BSOD is caused by driver issues. Maybe try running linux on the hardware and see if it freezes. If it runs fine with linux, you know it's a software issue. If it freezes or gives errors in linux than you know it's a hardware issue.
                            BSODs are caused by drivers. Either bad drivers, or drivers talking or trying to talk to bad hardware or hardware that does disappearing magician tricks (like a wiggling socket connecting and disconnecting something).

My guess is something is loose. Maybe a power cable, maybe a card, maybe a component on one of your cards. Or your PSU is not doing its job and regulating well. You ever try it with a desktop power supply? Put it on a table in the house on a house PSU and leave it alone for a while. See if it works.
                            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

hey well guys i did get this BSOD afterinstalling new ram, and getting so so close through the win 7 install..... ive attached the pic..

U think i should update the BIOS?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X