Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency internet connection kit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Emergency internet connection kit.

    Thought you guys might enjoy this. I've got it stashed in my car now.. just in case!

    It's a Konexx coupler and a v90 modem. For those times you just HAVE to use the net! (Read.. no APs available!)


  • #2
    Where can I get one of those phone things from? I want to hack an old mobile phone to plug it into a standard modem in the car... so I can dial another mobile at home and access the computer and files and stuff... cos (dial up networking) In Australia, after 9pm you can dial with an Optus prepaid mobile to another optus prepaid and talk for the first 20minutes for free... or.. I could put the base station on a computer that has a perminent internet connection through a network... then get free unlimited 20minute blocks of internet time, from also anywhere is australia.. lol

    Comment


    • #3
      Whilst the older analogue mobile phones would allow you to do this, the new digital ones wont as it encoded / compresses the voice signals digitally. A data interface encodes it's signals differently.
      At least that's how it is in the UK with both digital systems.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by *********
        Where can I get one of those phone things from? I want to hack an old mobile phone to plug it into a standard modem in the car... so I can dial another mobile at home and access the computer and files and stuff... cos (dial up networking) In Australia, after 9pm you can dial with an Optus prepaid mobile to another optus prepaid and talk for the first 20minutes for free... or.. I could put the base station on a computer that has a perminent internet connection through a network... then get free unlimited 20minute blocks of internet time, from also anywhere is australia.. lol
        Originally posted by *********
        umm... make one....
        So... hmmm... make one?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by thenominous
          Whilst the older analogue mobile phones would allow you to do this, the new digital ones wont as it encoded / compresses the voice signals digitally. A data interface encodes it's signals differently.
          At least that's how it is in the UK with both digital systems.
          This is for payphone connection

          Comment


          • #6
            He He, you should have seen all the spare parts I carried in the Plemon van (thats short for plymouth lemon) while I was a tech/consultant. I could have built a couple servers/networks/printers.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've had ideas in my head to use my cell phone to connect to the internet. My phone is a Motorola SC-3160, it doesn't work as a modem. So my best bet is the 2.5mm headphone/mic jack.
              ODYSSEY

              Originally posted by Tidder
              Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
              All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
              Digital-Car UK|

              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ddt
                This is for payphone connection
                A lot of the payphones over here are being converted for ISDN internet service (I believe that some even get ADSL!) so just dont come this side of the pond.

                Comment


                • #9
                  how about usb 802.11b adapter, if its in the car, just go to any downtown area and youre sure to pick up some singals.
                  and since its USB, just unplug it when not needed.
                  just my 2 cents
                  "I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kane2g
                    how about usb 802.11b adapter, if its in the car, just go to any downtown area and youre sure to pick up some singals.
                    and since its USB, just unplug it when not needed.
                    just my 2 cents

                    Originally posted by ddt
                    (Read.. no APs available!)

                    PS AP means Access Point. IE 802.11b (or g) access point.

                    I'm wired for 802.11b here. This is the "Emergency Kit"
                    Sorry, but you should READ the post.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      hehe, I missed the AP part.
                      "I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There's some phones around.. like my old nokia 7110, which can work as a modem through its infra-red interface...

                        problem is finding another person with a mobile / cell / hand phone (whatever you call them) who has it connected to a modem..

                        and even if you do.. over GSM data runs at about 9600bps.. >_<

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My Motorola T720 has a USB cable for it, and it shows up as a USB modem. Too bad it'll only connect at 14.4. I guess if I'm really desperate.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X