Help with a idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a idea

Hi, I was wondering if some of the more experienced people with computers could help me out with an idea. I own a vending machine business and I was thinking about customizing one of my drink machines so that I could install a tv screen in the front of the machine and use that spot for different types of advertisements. I have been a member of this forum for years now but never actually got around to building and installing a carputer in my vehicle. When I was trying to think of a way of accomplishing this idea, I thought about this forum. What would it take to make a simple computer that would basically just hook up to the tv screen and just play a slide show of various different slides? Would building a simple computer be a cheaper method than buying a computer from a store.

Would a simple digital photo viewer do the trick? If you want something bigger or more powerful a tablet might work.

Would the screen be inside or outside? If outside vandalism is going to be a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by vat2010 View Post
      Would a simple digital photo viewer do the trick? If you want something bigger or more powerful a tablet might work.

Would the screen be inside or outside? If outside vandalism is going to be a concern.
      The digital photo player would probably be best. I was in Best Buy the other day and they have them designed to mount behind YOUR standard picture frame, i.e., frameless. In sizes from 3x5 to 10" diag. I was really surprised!
      HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Originally posted by vat2010 View Post

+1

i think the digital photo frame is a great idea-- it is super cheap, and is usually higher resolution then a tv w/ composite input, or cheaper then a smaller vga screen...

and so even if it did get vandalized, it is going to be much cheaper then a pc to replace..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

+1 for photo frame. Cheap, simple, easy to update with a new SD card.

I saw Coca Cola has some kind of new interactive vending machine but it looked pretty expensive and complex. This is cheap and simple and I think most of those photo frames will even play video if you have it in the right format.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think about a digital picture frame. Vat2010, I planned on cutting a section out of the front signage and mount the screen there behind a piece of plexiglass.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdawgj14 View Post
              Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think about a digital picture frame. Vat2010, I planned on cutting a section out of the front signage and mount the screen there behind a piece of plexiglass.

use lexan, or something more impact resistant then standard plexi. plexi tends to shatter faster then other clear plastics..
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
              X