Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terminal Mode for Smartphones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Terminal Mode for Smartphones?

    Uh oh, looks like a mighty temping substitute for the CarPC.

    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/25/r...ion-on-arm-co/

    Forgive me if this has already been posted!

  • #2
    NOthing new...still has the same unsolved problem of having a phone UI in the car. Phone OSs are not designed for in car use, offer limited functionality and most important are INCREDIBLY distracting.

    As of yet the legality of terminal mode is still up in the air with many speculating this will be illegal in quite a few states. Its the exact same thing as using your phone while driving which last i checked is illegal in most of the US and quite a few countries around the world.
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

    Comment


    • #3
      Shouldn't be illegal. Any state that does make it illegal is awarded the tripzero stupidity award. Having the phone's UI on a 7", non-moving screen is a lot better than that silly 3-4" + mount that people are doing.

      Terminal mode seems like a stop-gap until operating systems in cars are upgradeable over the air.
      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, I guess I never thought of having a phone os on a screen would still be considered phone use in the car.

        On the other hand, I wonder what companies like Alpine and Eclipse have to do to make sure that the UI in their nav units are safe for in-car use. If there is nothing like that, then what's the difference with a Phone UI on a touch screen vs an in dash Nav unit?

        Comment


        • #5
          Don't you think though that there will eventually exist APPS that ARE safe to use? Windows isn't safe to use, but when you run CF or OM or RR then it becomes safeER.

          Maybe in 10 years?


          Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
          NOthing new...still has the same unsolved problem of having a phone UI in the car. Phone OSs are not designed for in car use, offer limited functionality and most important are INCREDIBLY distracting.

          As of yet the legality of terminal mode is still up in the air with many speculating this will be illegal in quite a few states. Its the exact same thing as using your phone while driving which last i checked is illegal in most of the US and quite a few countries around the world.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tripzero View Post
            Shouldn't be illegal. Any state that does make it illegal is awarded the tripzero stupidity award. Having the phone's UI on a 7", non-moving screen is a lot better than that silly 3-4" + mount that people are doing.

            Terminal mode seems like a stop-gap until operating systems in cars are upgradeable over the air.
            fwiw, Any sort of display screen is illegal in Maryland, with the sole exception of navigation and vehicle diagnostic systems. So Hand-Held phones, and this, are both illegal. Basically voice control via bluetooth headset is the only legal way to use a phone in my state.
            "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
            RevFE
            My Shop

            Comment


            • #7
              So, the phone can use its GPS to figure out when you're in Maryland and shut off the display until you drive out of the state!
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
                fwiw, Any sort of display screen is illegal in Maryland, with the sole exception of navigation and vehicle diagnostic systems. So Hand-Held phones, and this, are both illegal. Basically voice control via bluetooth headset is the only legal way to use a phone in my state.
                And the winner is.... [drum roll]
                Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                Comment


                • #9
                  State laws and automobile use are interesting. I know there are several states that do not allow police scanners in an automobile. What can they do if I am streaming the local frequency via my phone and the web? Is the ban on the hardware, or on the information that I can get?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    More information on terminal mode and another app using it - VNC!

                    Translogic - RealVNC and Jungo: Two great tastes that taste great in your car

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
                      fwiw, Any sort of display screen is illegal in Maryland, with the sole exception of navigation and vehicle diagnostic systems. So Hand-Held phones, and this, are both illegal. Basically voice control via bluetooth headset is the only legal way to use a phone in my state.
                      So Alpine and Eclipse doesn't sell their in dash nav units that plays mp3s and cd in Maryland? I'm just curious as to how UI's like RR or CF are different from the big name car audio companies....

                      P.S. Doesn't MP3car operate out of Maryland? :P

                      P.S.S. I really do want to know what the law is pertaining to this, not trying to start any wars!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X