Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to seal or not to seal an xenarc in a marine environment

Hey forum,

I'm in the final prep stage of my project and was concerned about installing a 7" xenarc into the dash of my boat. I know i can seal it from the front but i'm worried about moisture on the back side.

any recommendations/thoughts on taking the xenarc backing and making it 2-3 times deeper but having it completely sealed?

this is a non led lcd xenarc (700tsv)
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

it is a risk either way-- if you leave it open, the moisture might corrode the boards.. but if you seal it, it might cook..

but being that your willing to poen up the screen, i vote for a in-between.. they offer circuit board coatings--though i am not sure how durable the are for marine use:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=341-240

or a good layer of hot glue would work as well..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

i have a can of silicon conformal coating that i will spray all of the electronics with (mobo, usb-io-1, soundcard, etc) but i can't spray the back of the actual lcd screen. im not sure if that is susceptible to moisture damage or not. :\
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

that was what i was trying to find--i saw it at fry's on the last trip there, but couldn't remember what it was called..

i would probably leave all the lcd layers alone, though i agree i would prefer to seal the layers, i just don't have any ideas on how to do it without affecting the screen...

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

thanks for your input in this discussion. Im not going to come right out and say it, but i was talking to someone at a certain company that manufactures certain touchscreen.... discussed it and off record he said that the screens dont generate a lot of heat and he'd probably opt to seal it from the elements completely (enlarging the enclosure). of course the screens were never tested in these environments so it's a big risk, but i think i agree with him on this one.
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

edit: after thinking about it some more, i don't think that there is enough heat to bother it, so a enclosed screen is probably fine, but will leave the below post here just for awareness..

I agree that the screens don't generate a lot of heat, but i am more concerned with the amount of heat that the screen gets that could become contained in the screen from the sun.

in most cars, the screen is mounted in a location that the sun doesn't always hit it, or if it does, there is enough air around the screen that it can dissipate that heat.

in a boat, many screens are mounted in places that, while making them more visible to you, in most cases also make them more visible to the sun-- so i am a little concerned about the amount of heat, or sun-soak if you will, that the monitor will take on, and will need to dissipate all while being sealed up...

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
            X