No announcement yet.

Upgraded Windows, annoying problems...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded Windows, annoying problems...

Just today, I updated from 32 bit Windows 7 to 64 bit. It was fast and easy, except for what comes next.

Upon initial desktop viewing, I notice I can use my touchscreen, but it was way off. So, I calibrated through the original Windows 7 tablet pc inside control panel. It still was way off, and I couldn't change orientations to see if that was the problem.

Ok, install the egalax drivers (working ones I used to use on the 32 bit install), and they installed just fine. Except I can't use the touchscreen anymore, the calibration won't recognize touches. Grr...

I went to install the drivers for my wireless usb adapter (Sabrent NT-WHGU, device manager states RTL8187_Wireless), and the drivers off their official site won't install. It errors saying "We don't support this operating system!!".

So in search of drivers I went. Found some vista drivers that didn't work with the wireless, found some realtek drivers that didn't work either..

I wonder if my touchscreen problem is associated with not having any windows updates / drivers installed. So if I could get my wireless usb working I could update what I need, get generic drivers, etc...

The only problem, I can't run an ethernet cord outside to the car (too far) and I can't easily pull the system out to bench install everything.

Anybody have any ideas about the touchscreen or experience with these wireless usb adapters and drivers? I don't care about the wireless if the touchscreen could work.
    Current Worklog: TBA - '05 Rav4 (Mobo Dead).
    www.rav4world.com - Forums for Rav4 owners
    www.flavorfeasts.com - Cooking website/forums
    -Basic forums live atm, come contribute!

Welcome to the wonderful world of 64 bit driver hell.

Did you go to the egalax website and download the July 2011 release? That may help, as I believe they include 64 bit drivers in their driver package.

I don't have any experience with your USB wireless device, so I can't really offer any useful suggestions, other than trying to manually install the drivers through the device manager instead of running an installer program.

You should definitely update your Win 7 install to SP1 and the latest compatibility updates. I remember a big issue with my Lilliput touchscreen that was solved by one of those updates.
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

I wouldn't consider going from 32-bit to 64-bit an upgrade. Why did you do this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see why. You have 8gb ram. Seems kind of pointless to run that much ram in the car considering most all programs you will be running will be 32-bit anyway. Were you trying to get faster boot times by using 64-bit? Did it work?

I'd suggest going back to 32-bit for the sake of simplicity. I don't know why so many people on the forum think they need oodles of ram for a CarPC.
      Last edited by Tidder; 09-07-2011, 12:41 AM.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Were you trying to get faster boot times by using 64-bit? Did it work?
        Not really, boot times were about the same with the 32 bit. I couldn't pass up the price I paid for the 8gb's, so I just figured what the hell, put them in.

I'm going back to 32 bit this Saturday I hope, at least it was worth a try.

By the way, it doesn't hurt to leave the 8gb's in for 32 bit (I know it won't use it), but kinda hard to get to it and pull out a stick now?

Comment

Originally posted by kegobeer View Post
          Welcome to the wonderful world of 64 bit driver hell.
          Yeah! I was recently "not well thought of" at a new job. I was so thick - I couldn't get "the makers" system running on my work-supplied laptop. After all, he had just "copied" over to his Windows 7.
          Yeah, his W7 32 bit.
          Somewhat different to my W7 64 bit.

But it was probably the best pay I've ever got for no work!

Comment

Originally posted by detlion1643 View Post
            By the way, it doesn't hurt to leave the 8gb's in for 32 bit (I know it won't use it), but kinda hard to get to it and pull out a stick now?
            Well yeah it won't hurt, but that's 4gb you could use somewhere else too.
            Tidder

Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Well, just re-verted back to 32 bit Windows. Same thing at first, fresh install (where Windows 7 touch works, but again way off), install e-galax drivers and can't touch to activate the screen so I can't complete calibration. So I updated through windows updater (100 updates ). Touch still didn't activate, arg! So I uninstalled the e-galax drivers, restarted, and now windows 7 touch doesn't work . Installed e-galax drivers again, and still nothing......

I can't remember what I did the first time to get everything working.... At least I got my usb wireless working.

Comment

FIXED!!! WOOT!!!!

Who knew that the Windows 7 drivers didn't work with Windows 7. I just happened to try my older xp_vista_2k drivers on accident, but it worked! Touch works and calibrated.... I bet it would've worked on the 64 bit that way. But I'm back to 32bit and working so I think I'll stay at that!

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                  I wouldn't consider going from 32-bit to 64-bit an upgrade. Why did you do this?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see why. You have 8gb ram. Seems kind of pointless to run that much ram in the car considering most all programs you will be running will be 32-bit anyway. Were you trying to get faster boot times by using 64-bit? Did it work?

I'd suggest going back to 32-bit for the sake of simplicity. I don't know why so many people on the forum think they need oodles of ram for a CarPC.
                  I don't consider it any benefit to upgrade either. My 32bit setup runs circles around my 64bit setup. I needed the 64bit though because I needed 12gb RAM for the virtualization for the independent zones in my car. Its funny though because the 64bit setup takes so much longer to load up, but the VM stations cold boot insanely fast, like 2 seconds to Centrafuse for each VM. With that being said, if your not using virtualzation, there is no point in going with a 64bit OS. The extra RAM most def does not help boot speed. My Dual Zone setup (Win 7 32bit) boots up in about 7-9 seconds, even with its tons of USB devices (31+). The Multizone setup, which only has like 15 usb devices, takes up to 20 seconds to boot. In defense though, my DZ has a SSD, while the MZ has a standard HDD.
                  Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                  X