What have I learned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I learned

1/ I don't care what your budget is, it's going to cost AT LEAST $200 more. AND THEN, you are NOT finished spending until everything is buttoned up.

2/ Make sure you have extra fuses standing by.

3/ KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS. To take back extra unnecessary things you bought, or tools you will NEVER need again.

4/ Home Depot, Autozone, Amazon are your friends.

5/ Dont buy your 4-8 gauge wire from home depot. It is more meant for AC...however I do believe since you are using a dc-dc power supply it shouldn't matter.

6/ Pulling your car apart is not for the faint of heart.

7/ This will take an entire weekend...morning to night...at least for me.

8/ This is NOTHING like building a home computer.

9/ I will not be doing this again.

10/ i need to sleep now.

I'll have a full write up in a few days.

Originally posted by Champak View Post
    this goes for any electrical project!

5/ Dont buy your 4-8 gauge wire from home depot. It is more meant for AC...however I do believe since you are using a dc-dc power supply it shouldn't matter.
    it does make a difference-- you should really only use car audio type power cable-- the strands are thinner which allow for more flexibility, and the insulation is a different type, meant to be dragged over sometimes-rough surfaces. these apply both while installing it, and during it's general life cycle.

i used to say that about my carpc as well, but a couple years later, i don't think i could tolerate the other options..

i'll admit i am not completely happy with my carpc, but i am happier with it then with a store-bought alternative.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

1/ I don't care what your budget is, it's going to cost AT LEAST $200 more. AND THEN, you are NOT finished spending until everything is buttoned up.
      This rule applies to more than carpc's...

Always a good idea

3/ KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS. To take back extra unnecessary things you bought, or tools you will NEVER need again.
      I usually just keep things if it didn't cost too much. Later on I'll always find a use for it.

add Parts Express MCM Electronics and Mouser to that list along with Ebay

It does matter

You're right about this. I usually try to plan out as much wire runs as possible so I only have to pull up the carpet once, maybe twice/

Depends on what you're doing and how detailed you are with your install. For me I want to make sure that everything looks neat and is in it's right place.

nope it's better.

After the first time I have more knowledge to help me make better decisions the second time around.
      10/ i need to sleep now.
      I know this feeling oh so well.

This is my second carpc install and I can honestly say that things have been working great. I did have to iron out some issues with winter temps but things have been fine since.

Comment

For me this $200 more is a case of im in the shops and "ooooo, i dont need that... but it should be there just incase".. eg. usb devices..

Im sure i have some floating around at home,,,, but i will say this is a rule i have not followed but would advise people todo so

Receipts... i keep them for taking down notes while in the car, If its spare.. i'll find a use for it...

Over here.. Bunnings/Jaycar/Supercheap Auto and so on... yes... always the hardware store

hmm, well this subject i wont touch on as i know this could stir the pot... but lets say when you have so much spare cable... you find a use for it.

Depends on the car? some times a mobile phone can be more of a pain to pull apart. But that moment of removing a plastic panel for the first time and hoping you hear a click and not a crack.... yes

Time... i'll get back to you on this if its ever finished...

relating back to the car... i would rather change and bleed the brakes and flush the cooling system with a new radiator and a general service..... over installing a car pc... wires are not nice to trace and follow & HIDE!

lost count what number install mine is... but have done it in the past and sure will in the future.... **IT Tech Background though**

10/ i need to sleep now.
        same.... its 3:51am but at work... so many posts late at night after coming inside from sitting in front of the dash
        2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
        Base System = Raspberry Pi
        Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

Working...
        X