X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-car HUD...coming soon

I'll bet it's pricey....

http://www.slashgear.com/pioneer-nav...tion-04296284/

Interesting. I thought my windshield had a special coating on the inside to make the stock HUD display/reflect properly.

Also interesting that it's projecting forward from the visor, and not up from the dashboard.

Comment

I've seen the prototype of this at CES for the last couple of years. They always had an intermediate transparent vertical display panel between the driver and the windshield, and the system projected onto that screen. The part I wonder about with the system as described above is the angle of deflection. Windshield slope and curve varies quite a bit between manufacturers (and even models). How are they going to get the projected image/text scaled properly for all these different situations? Its more than just focal length and brightness/contrast.

Comment

The images on that link still seem to show a transparent panel between the driver and the windshield. I wonder if the images on the windshield are just there "for demonstration purposes".

Comment

lol yes. it will most "HUD" dosent mean that image will be at the windshield... it just means you will have your head up. so based on the image, it will most probably be a trensparent screen... the images on the "photo" cant be real anyway, because i think, that projecting at any place of the windshield, instead of the small area that the "oem" does, would be pretty illegal...

Comment

I want to strap one of these things to my head and run around like I'm wearing a huge Google-Glass.

Comment

I tried that with an early Walkman prototype......not so good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boombox1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2287804

Comment

The price we pay to be early adopters of technology...

Comment

There are several free Android and iPhone apps that will mirror image a speedometer on your windshield to play with. I tried a couple and the results are surprisingly good, although unless you look straight on, you will see a double image from the thickness of the inside and outside of the glass. That's where the special coating come in that a HUD equipt car has, or the aftermarket HUD's provide a film sheet for.

If you are interested in the HUD, download one of those apps for your phone and give it a try some night, it's pretty cool.

Comment

IMO the interesting thing is that the image is ~2m (6') in front of the viewer.
                    Hence I suspect the visor projector rather than being up from the dash (it's simpler), and I suspect it won't work for all - as I recall, about 5% of eyes do not have the normal "misalignment" that enables enables us to see 3D when it is not there - eg, those 3D prints that were popular a few decades ago. The latter depends on how its done - maybe it is holographic, but it seems to be a 2D display seemingly positioned over the bonnet.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
                      I tried that with an early Walkman prototype......not so good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70134[/ATTACH]
                      I wondered where the ghetto blaster in my garage went...Anyone know where this guy lives?
                      My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG View Post
                        I wondered where the ghetto blaster in my garage went...Anyone know where this guy lives?
                        His name is Raul. He and his brother Davi work at a combination car wash/pet store in Boulder City Nevada. On weekends, they like to hang out at the topless pool at the MGM (by hang out, I mean the place in the shrubs over on the north side by the trash dumpsters).

Comment

I know this topic refuses to die...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/aug...lly,24972.html

Comment

It sounds dangerous - viz: "Hudway works by reflecting light (from the display off of the windshield and) into your eyes.". (LOL)

Comment

There's a product launching soon called HeadsUp which is an android based HUD (can google for details)

Fairly sure it will be retailing < $400

Cheers,
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X