Relay Voltage question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay Voltage question

Does anyone happen to know the minimum triggering voltage to activate this relay:
    http://www.amazon.com/Relay-Harness-...pr_product_top

It not the voltage that triggers its the mA. I think if you have a lower voltage you need to use a relay for that voltage and then use that relay to trigger the 12v relay. Like a 5v relay that triggers a 12v relay. Hope this helps SNO

Comment

Why do you need this info?
      You should try to get the Datasheet.
      RR-Skin: BMW OpenBM Skin for E39 [never ending progress :-(]
      RR-Plugin: IBusCommunicatoRR new Updates

Comment

Just checked a few supplys...5v 9.5v and 12v...only the 12v worked...tested this on a std auomotive 12v relay...sno is dead right

Comment

Of course Sno is right. Geez!

Implicit in Sno's reply is that you match the relay's nominal or rated coil voltage to the voltage you are using - eg, 12V if 12V, 5V if 5V, and any voltage if an Open Collector aka GND signal.
          IOW you do not use 5V to turn on a 12V relay because - even if it does - it will not have its full contact force and hence be prone to (1) fire or (2) open circuits on bumps or if hot etc.

Comment

What i a good way to operate a 12v relay from a lesser voltage source...say 1.8v,3vor 5v is the a common tidy way to do this?....ive often thought of this.

Comment

I would use something like this cheap 5v relay board put my 12v+ to common and NO 12v+ going to the 12v relay pin 86 SNO
              Click image for larger version

Name:	5v_relay.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2288255

Comment

you never said, what you want operate with this low voltage. and where the voltage comes from?
                but one thing, be carefull because of the selfinduction.

Comment

Ive got a few of those in my ebay watch list...very cheap!!! Any ideas on 3v or under?

Harryberlin what is selfinduction?

Comment

Originally posted by camo.b View Post
                    What is a good way to operate a 12v relay from a lesser voltage source...say 1.8v,3vor 5v is the a common tidy way to do this?....ive often thought of this.
                    Thru a buffer...

Usually Open Collector - ie, they turn on a device (transistor, FET etc) that connects the output to 0V aka GND. As long as it can handle the relay's coil current (say up to 250mA for typical automotive 30A relays) then it can turn on any voltage relay. (As before, output to relay coil 85 and other end 86 to whatever +V it uses.)

Whatever output (1.8V etc) must be able to turn on a transistor etc.

Comment

self induction happens when you cut the steering power from relay.
                      the magnetic field falls down and induct a voltage back to steering part.
                      can destroy yICs, if you don't terminate this selt induction.

thats why the question where do you get this low voltage.

Comment

One thing i was thinking of was a mute wire on a parrot bluetooth kit...i believe its 3v when its telling the "radio' to mute and a ground otherwise.

Comment

thinking, believing or known?

does it mean you want mute the radio with this signal?
                          do you know which signal needs the radio for mute mode?

Comment

I know the parrot outputs a +3v when muting a sterio..i want to use this as a input for a mjs usb in/out or a joycon...either way i want the carpc to pause the current media when i recieve a phone call.however its done i need a alt-D (keystroke)to be issued upon 3v from the parrot...just need to be able to operate a relay from that voltage. Any thoughts?

Comment

i think you don't need a relay. this should work with few ampere. so you can use a transistor.
                              may be you can connect the signal directly to com-port. but i don't know it.

Comment

Working...
                              X