Cooling carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling carputer

Does anyone has experience with cooling of a computer in BMW 3-serie Tourin 2003 or other cars?
    Modifications needed or not?
    Would like to have computer on board BMW, but I'm afraid for the heat of the computer.
    Placed in dashboard (cooling by airco)or back with spare tire?

Thanks.

i will be putting a computer in my dash and was also considering this problem. here is what i came up with. i am thinking of custom bending some pipes to make a tube from the back of the computer to somewhere in your engine compartment (prefeably somewhere exposed to cool air like under a hood scoop or behind the front bumper by the intercooler). put a good powered fan on the end by the computer and a good quality cold air intake filter and you got yourself a wicked looking cooling system for your computer. Another idea, although expensive, is to have a liquid nitrogen cooling system for your computer. i read about a tower your could buy a couple years ago that was cooled this way, and you just put your computer componins in it. But i do not know if you can still buy this product, or even where you would buy it from. if anyone sees any flaws in my cooling plan, pleas tell me so i dont install it and have it not work effectivly.

Comment

The major problem I see with runnin some tube into the engine bay is rain. Alot of guys who run with CAI (cold air induction) say that rain can clogg up their air filters and thrus give crap *** performance. I guess you could translate that in to computer terms by sayin durning rainin weather kill the pc cause the extra moisture in the air could cause the filter to clogg and if you dont have a filter then put another bullet in the gun.
      Now what I would do is fine a small fridge take out all the parts. get some copper tubing. get enough to run from the carputer to the front of the car. Mount the condenser in front of the raditor. run another copper tube back to the carputer hook up the rest of the junk and rock n roll. It cools better than air and safer than water. Plus you can place drinks (EI Beer) in there.
      Thats my 2 cents (when converted to US dollars its about $00.00069)
      Originally posted by menudude
      thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

seriously does your computer output THAT much heat that you need to run a CAI to it? just put some 120mm fans on it and it'll be fine. have them voltage/temp adjustable if you want noise reduction vs airflow.

Comment

Your computer wont be damaged by heat as long as you have a heat sink on there... If your computer keeps restarting/turning off then you have a problem and you need more cooling...

Add a few fans in there (if in the trunk). If its in your dash i am not sure I have not tried it yet...
          XtReMoDs.com

Carputer Status (Not installed.)
          -VIA M10000 N
          -TM-7002S + TSK (7" LCD)
          -512MB PC2700 DDR
          -40GB 2.5" HD
          -SB Live!
          -Rand McNally GPS
          -DLink FM Tuner
          -XMRPC
          _

Comment

Kids Kids Kids Kids Come on meow!
            Its not about how much heat it produces its about how cold you can get it. Its not about how much hp you have its about How fast you can go without gettin arrested. Its not about cheating on your girlfriend its about how many of her friends you can lay.

the point is its not what you need its about what you can modd to do what you need.

Side note: Now that Im really thinking about itI dont know if I would want anything to take away from the air intake for my car. I know it wouldnt be much of a differance but races are won in the .001 second range and even if you dont race there could be a point in time when you really need that little bit. I know I have been there many times before.

Comment

How cold is the air in a cold air intake anyway? My understanding was that it's only called "cold" because it isn't affected by the heat of the engine. So it's the ambient air temperature. In the summer, it'll be cooler inside your car than outside, so it would be better to circulate that air through your carputer.
              In the winter, I think you need to be careful that the air isn't too cold, because the heat of the carputer can cause condensation and crap out your components.

Running a water-cooled system to the car's radiator - now THAT would be impressive.

Comment

Llinus knows wjhat he;s talkin about. A cold air intake does not cool the air. It simply sucks in air, much like a turbo intake does. On cool days my turbo runs much better and I get better acceleration compared to a 90 degree day.

Rain and condensation will enter this intake and you will have probs with your system. I'd simply add a small fan to the system - you dont need overkill.
                Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
                Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by brrman
                  Llinus knows wjhat he;s talkin about. A cold air intake does not cool the air. It simply sucks in air, much like a turbo intake does. On cool days my turbo runs much better and I get better acceleration compared to a 90 degree day.

Rain and condensation will enter this intake and you will have probs with your system. I'd simply add a small fan to the system - you dont need overkill.
                  Right, a CAI doesn't really take in COLD air, just air that is cooler than from the engine bay. When water is ingested by the CAI most of it is burned up by the engine and it's actually good to get a little bit of moisture in there to burn up the excess carbon. A computer however will not "burn" the excess water. Fans should be sufficient enough. Keeping it out of the sun helps. If you reall want to maybe you could tap into your a/c with tubing and run it to the case for the cold air to come in and then run another tube to the trunk or cabin for the air to come put. Just remember to use the push/pull method and seal the case for maximum efficiency. Damnit given out good tips so my install is not going to appear so dime-a-dozen!

Comment

I dont know about that whole tappin into your a/c bit. that just asking for condensation buildup

Comment

Why not water cooling? I've never used a water cooling system myself, but it seems to me that if you needed more cooling than a fan or two could offer, this would be a relatively simple way to upgrade. The reservoir, pump, and exchanger could all be relocated to someplace out of the way (say, the engine compartment), and the water blocks that sit over the processor are typically much smaller than most heatsinks. It would probably be quieter, too. My only concern would be making the system leak-proof, which would obviously be a little more difficult because of all the vibrations in a car...but I'm sure it can be done. Anyone ever tried this?

Comment

havin a water coolin system on a carpc really depends on how much you trust your handy work.
                        the safest way to super cool a carpc is to gut a small fridge get some spray foam and run some tubin on the backside of your case then foam the hell out of the outside of you case and hear that baby go BURRRRRR

Comment

watercooling wouldn't get u anything though. in normal PC modding, watercooling is usually done with either an overclocked system or a high wattage cpu when you don't want a high rpm fan noise. we're not gonna be putting any overclocked 3ghz machines in our cars....(are we?)

besides what are you going to do, run the radiator line to outside the car and ventilate it there? cause otherwise you'll still have to have a fan cool off the radiator and vent the heat to the inside of the cabin or route that outside.

Comment

Originally posted by krystar
                            besides what are you going to do, run the radiator line to outside the car and ventilate it there? cause otherwise you'll still have to have a fan cool off the radiator and vent the heat to the inside of the cabin or route that outside.
                            Stick the radiator in front of the A/C vents! 'Course, that would be a problem in the winter. Maybe use flexible tubing so you could move the radiator under a seat (coldest air) during the winter. Just thinking out loud...

Comment

Water cooling in the auto is not worth the headache.

Small gain over good airflow. Make sure you have good airflow and a quiet fan....
                              TruckinMP3
                              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X