vibration damaging carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibration damaging carputer

i have a 12w7 in my car as of now, and it hits 142.5db up front in my convertible...which obviously makes things rattle a lil (more like a LOT)

would putting a desktop pc in a custom case in the trunk leave the comp components sucetible to damage from vibration when the sub is hitting? (i show it off a bit)

if so, what countermeasures can be taken to minimize the chances of damage (besides NOT PLAYING the sub loud)?

thanks
    2005 Mustang GT:
    12w7...arc audio kar1000.2t...jl 300/4 pushng focal 165k2p...pioneer premier deh-880prs...tm-701l...audiocontrol eqs
    want: my stereo actually IN the car

put some carpet padding under the case. Do NOT strap it down to the vehicle, but dont let it loose either. Just put some cushing or padding under it and you should be set.
    What im curently listening to.
    My complete carpc setup

Comment

You have to get some vibration damping. Computer hard drives do not do well when bounced around, the heads crash, and there goes your hard drive. If it's an option, use a laptop hard drive instead of a desktop hard drive. If you can use a laptop hard drive, check out the new 7200 RPM laptop drives they have out. Not only will you save power, But they are one of the most shock resistant hard drives out there.

I also wonder if the EM fields from the subs could do damage to a hard drive. I don't have any experience with subs and hard drives though, so someone else would have to answer that issue.
      A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy2097
        I also wonder if the EM fields from the subs could do damage to a hard drive.
        Well there are no *substantial* EM fields coming from subs...

EM = electromagnetic

But getting a real powerful sub magnet too close to a HD might not be such a good idea. It would need to be pretty close though.
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

I got a 12w7 and my carputer's up in the glovebox.. using a noteboook drive... i don't have problems w/bass, but on occasion, my suspension rides a bit too rough which screws up the drive, but it is a really old drive, so that could be part of it
          Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
          Mods: Yep
          Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

man I hope I wont have this problem, I just ordered 3 1100W RMS Audiobahn Flame Q 12"s......hmm.....this might be bad news for my hard drive
            92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

00CericaRuss:
              How the heck did you manage to install a 12w7 in your dash?
              What im curently listening to.
              My complete carpc setup

Comment

Originally posted by osirisdon
                00CericaRuss:
                How the heck did you manage to install a 12w7 in your dash?

I don't think he meant he put it in his dash, can you imagine ?
                [H]4 Life
                My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by guitar333
                  man I hope I wont have this problem, I just ordered 3 1100W RMS Audiobahn Flame Q 12"s......hmm.....this might be bad news for my hard drive
                  audiobahn? why put shame to a carputer? unless you invert those subs and show off their chrome, i woulda recommended against getting them. don't put more than 700wrms through them...lol. there's much better you coulda gotten for the price...that is, unless you got them particularly for the cool look. www.sounddomain.com

sorry if this sounds like a flame, but i have just never had good experiences listening to audiobahn stuff besides one so-so install with 2 sound q's. post pics in ur cardomain/sounddomain page when ur done (audiobahn installs do look pretty to the eye, nevertheless)
                  2005 Mustang GT:
                  12w7...arc audio kar1000.2t...jl 300/4 pushng focal 165k2p...pioneer premier deh-880prs...tm-701l...audiocontrol eqs
                  want: my stereo actually IN the car

Comment

"142.5db"? Even if you are pushing out that much there is no way in the world you would even be sitting in the car listening to it unless you want to cause permanent hearing loss. Some things are just not worth doing and losing your hearing just so you can set off car alarms would be on my top ten list. Now if you are in competitions and stuff it might be an issue since the idea is a little different. Still think twice before you do that stuff.

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/wise...asp#soundchart

As for the harddrive, go with a laptop harddrive. I just completed over 70 miles of some of the worst dirt roads possible to drive a regular passenger car over (at least that I have seen) and my laptop harddrive never hiccuped. You might spend a little more money and get less storage but it does give you more flexibility with space and vibrations.

Comment

lol.. w7 in the trunk, carputer in the glovebox
                      Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                      Mods: Yep
                      Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

You want some nice subs go to www.edesignaudio.com

they have very high performance subs for a very low price, they are the manufacturer as well as retailer which keeps prices way down, their warranties are for three years the customer service is absolutely unbelievable. Their subs are just slightly geared more toward SQ than SPL, I mean audiobahns are ok they get hella loud but lose almost all SQ I would definetly go sealed to try to keep some sort of SQ or place them in a ported box that is tuned very low below 30hz and above 23hz should sound mighty fine

anyways check their subs out www.edesignaudio.com their subs are exceptional and then you add the the price and it's even more insane of a deal!

EDIT: For some reason I quoted the last post

Comment

Originally posted by stkdidy ntshidy
                          audiobahn? [...] sorry if this sounds like a flame, but i have just never had good experiences listening to audiobahn stuff besides one so-so install with 2 sound q's.
                          Another brand junky that listens with their eyes and their chequebook. How can you judge his subs knowing only the brand and nothing about the manner in which they are installed (box size/config/quality)?
                          http://carpc.riposte.net
                          I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Originally posted by stkdidy ntshidy
                            audiobahn? why put shame to a carputer? unless you invert those subs and show off their chrome, i woulda recommended against getting them. don't put more than 700wrms through them...lol. there's much better you coulda gotten for the price...that is, unless you got them particularly for the cool look. www.sounddomain.com

sorry if this sounds like a flame, but i have just never had good experiences listening to audiobahn stuff besides one so-so install with 2 sound q's. post pics in ur cardomain/sounddomain page when ur done (audiobahn installs do look pretty to the eye, nevertheless)
                            well back a few months ago when I was deciding what subs to get, i was looking through crutchfield and had no idea of what subs to get, but the audiobahn flames REALLY caught my eye with the crome basket, 1100W RMS!! and the fact that they were one of the most expensive ones in the crutchfield mag I had, so i thought they would be promising. I will make a sound domain profile soon (a few weeks, need money for Opus and an amp). I also would like to show off the basket, and the top off the sub at the same time, know where i can find a box thatll do that? These Audiobahns look more promising then all the other CHEAP ones you see everywhere 9exspecially ebay). I also just bought matching component speakers........anyways sorry to rob the thread
                            92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

Working...
                            X