AC cooled Carputer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC cooled Carputer?

anyone had there Carputer cooled by there ac??????

Originally posted by Pogi
    anyone had there Carputer cooled by there ac??????
    not yet, but i've been thinking about this:
    since i'm gonna put my carpc under the passenger seat, it will be possible to cool it down with AC (the one for rear passengers under the seat).
    so if it gets too hot, you just turn it on and go
    Current Status: For Sale

Specs
    - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
    - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
    - DeLorme GPS (sold)
    - Power Inverter (sold)
    - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

watch out for condensation

and also, what are you going to do in the winter ?
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

I did. I had my computer sitting on the floorboard of my truck right in front of a floor vent. When the PC temperature got too high, I changed the control to floor and full and watched the temperature drop
        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
        I'M DEBT FREE!!
        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

yeah, condensation could be a problem, but i guess i can always put some kind of self-made filter, so it would stop the moisture.

as for the winter, maaan, i love SoCal winters -)) seriously, i don't think my M10000 would heat up that much (especially in winter) that it will need that much cooling
          Current Status: For Sale

Specs
          - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
          - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
          - DeLorme GPS (sold)
          - Power Inverter (sold)
          - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

How about this. Have your computer set up to control AC/heat by relays and such. Have two temp sensors - one on the motherboard/processor and one outside the case to give ambient air temperature. Write a program so that the computer balances your needs for a comfortable interior (max AC in a blistering summer day, max heat on a freezing cold morning) with its cooling needs. Say, it never lets the ambient temp be more than 30 degrees cooler than the processor to prevent condensation. When it turns on the heat, it sends it to the dash vents or windshield rather than the floor vents near the PC.

Is this remotely possible? What are the stumbling blocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Linus
              How about this. Have your computer set up to control AC/heat by relays and such. Have two temp sensors - one on the motherboard/processor and one outside the case to give ambient air temperature. Write a program so that the computer balances your needs for a comfortable interior (max AC in a blistering summer day, max heat on a freezing cold morning) with its cooling needs. Say, it never lets the ambient temp be more than 30 degrees cooler than the processor to prevent condensation. When it turns on the heat, it sends it to the dash vents or windshield rather than the floor vents near the PC.
              Get to work frodo!
              92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

I havent tried the AC route but I'll just add that heat is really not a problem. I mean unless you have 110 degree F weathers everyday. My case is a 7 x 7 x 3 (roughly) acrylic box under the passanger seat with just 2 2100 rpm QUIET as hell fans. You can't even hear the fans when the engine is off. And I've never run into heat problems.
                Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by samc
                  I havent tried the AC route but I'll just add that heat is really not a problem. I mean unless you have 110 degree F weathers everyday. My case is a 7 x 7 x 3 (roughly) acrylic box under the passanger seat with just 2 2100 rpm QUIET as hell fans. You can't even hear the fans when the engine is off. And I've never run into heat problems.
                  So...what if you have 110 to 120+ degree weather for four months of the year? What then? Has anybody's epia M1000 PC survived a PHX Arizona summer?
                  MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
                  Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
                  Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

wow 120+ degrees? I think I'd have more bodily cooling problems then my carputer. If its really that hot where you live try the trunk with routed AC. And some very strong fans.
                    Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by guitar333
                      Get to work frodo!

you do it, I'm much too busy
                      [H]4 Life
                      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by samc
                        wow 120+ degrees? I think I'd have more bodily cooling problems then my carputer. If its really that hot where you live try the trunk with routed AC. And some very strong fans.
                        I've actually going to have it mounted behind the drivers seat...but my car has ultradark tint and a sunshade.

Phoenix summers aren't really that bad, everything is airconditioned...the only time you're outside is to go to and from the car. It's hot enough that you don't even go swimming after 10am or before 5pm in the really hot months....
                        MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
                        Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
                        Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

AC cooled...yes mine is.
                          current projects

Comment

Condisation would be a problem, but what about that Silca Gell packs, like the ones you find in ur new shoes?

Comment

An effective way would be is to move the intake of the ac over the carputer......

It can easly be incorporated by taking a flexible hose from your carputer and insert it in the intake duct of the hvac system.......
                              ALIBABA - I30 99
                              Nemiah M10000, C134
                              DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
                              GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam
                              Mute on stereo w I300 car kit
                              Liliput 7in w usb touch screen
                              Direct connect with BOSE-CD changer

Comment

Working...
                              X