Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PuRAM. instant boot.

http://216.119.93.139/desktops/machl...ures/index.htm

"...Super-BIOS™ (IBPT) and PuRam™ Technology... personal computer configurable WITHOUT a System Hard Drive with all operating system and program files permanently sitting a on a Flash RamDisk. It operates at the speed of the maximum available memory bandwidth up to 8.0GB/s and is capable of over 150,000 I/O requests per second, with an average of 0.0% CPU utilization. No Hard Disk design, not even 15.000RPM SCSI devices in multiple RAID cofigurations can come close to providing a fraction of the real-world performance of PuRam™ Technology."

I think this would be good for a carputer. instant boot and stuff. Someone do it!

oh and btw, those "L" computers are incredible!!!

First off, quit advertise here. Second, I'd buy it if its less than $500 for a complete system.
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoBite
      http://216.119.93.139/desktops/machl...ures/index.htm

not even 15.000RPM SCSI devices in multiple RAID cofigurations can come close to providing a fraction of the real-world performance of PuRam™ Technology."

I never knew they made SCSI Hard drives that spin at a blistering 15 RPM.
      A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Originally posted by cproaudio
        First off, quit advertise here. Second, I'd buy it if its less than $500 for a complete system.
        uh, I'm not selling those computers, so I can't really quit. These computers are really cool and I THINK they would be interesting to most of the people who come here...
        If I posted a link to the via nano-itx boards would I be advertising them?
        Come on!!

as for the scsi hard drives, 15k drives exist, if you type "15000" and "scsi" into google you get lots of information.
        for example. http://www.computers4sure.com/produc...ductid=1660729
        not that I'm trying to advertise, but there you go.

Comment

4 grand for a starting price? Are you kidding? Look at the size of that thing. How does that compare to a system that most people built here? It weighs up to 65 lbs. I think I'll keep my 45 second boot time.
          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by cproaudio
            4 grand for a starting price? Are you kidding? Look at the size of that thing. How does that compare to a system that most people built here? It weighs up to 65 lbs. I think I'll keep my 45 second boot time.
            oh I see, I'm not suggesting that anyone put one of these computers in their car.
            I'm saying that it would be neat if someone used the PuRam (very small flash memory unit) with the mini-atx mainboard. This would give you instant start up time similar to a conventional car stereo. I want my car computer to perform just as smoothly and automatically as a normal car stereo.

the l computers are serious overkill for any car, unless you plan on rendering special effects or digital movie production or something.

Comment

Just a shame that half the people who see that site think that it's all a very elaborate, and well presented, hoax.

Garry
              Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
              www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
                Just a shame that half the people who see that site think that it's all a very elaborate, and well presented, hoax.

Garry

My thoughts exactly

The "PuRam" would be very prohibitively expensive for anything
                substantially sized, also, the thing would have to communicate through normal
                storage bus channels, or possibly direct pci, which can come nothing even remotely close to the speeds advertised for the transfer rate.

Move along...
                [H]4 Life
                My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                  My thoughts exactly

The "PuRam" would be very prohibitively expensive for anything
                  substantially sized, also, the thing would have to communicate through normal
                  storage bus channels, or possibly direct pci, which can come nothing even remotely close to the speeds advertised for the transfer rate.

Move along...
                  I think it costs an extra $5k to add it on. These are no compromise machines, they are trying to make them as fast as possible with no consideration to cost, it seems. The PuRam cartridge looks very small, about the size of a notebook HD.
                  I don't know the archetecture, but I am sure they implement the PuRam in a way that allows it to use it to it's fullest capacity, and surely not thru PCI. Possibly a custom motherboard? I don't know.

I'd say for 95% sure that it's not a hoax. Mac people are just really ****ed about L for stealing their "style". They should be more mad that PCs are dead even if not better at everything that a Mac is supposed to be good for. (graphics, music)
                  I'll be 100% sure when anandtech reviews one and I see one for myself. They claim to be opening physical storefronts soon.

Comment

I think it costs an extra $5k to add it on. These are no compromise machines, they are trying to make them as fast as possible with no consideration to cost, it seems. The PuRam cartridge looks very small, about the size of a notebook HD.
                    I don't know the archetecture, but I am sure they implement the PuRam in a way that allows it to use it to it's fullest capacity, and surely not thru PCI. Possibly a custom motherboard? I don't know.

I'd say for 95% sure that it's not a hoax. Mac people are just really ****ed about L for stealing their "style". They should be more mad that PCs are dead even if not better at everything that a Mac is supposed to be good for. (graphics, music)
                    I'll be 100% sure when anandtech reviews one and I see one for myself. They claim to be opening physical storefronts soon.

you'll probably be waiting a long time before you ever see any storage device with that kind of performance
                    [H]4 Life
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/009111.php
                      http://www.macnn.com/news/21235&startNumber=41
                      My personal favorite
                      http://plex.us/outbursts/liebermann.html
                      Sorry Dino you got suckered into it too.
                      Edit: We all do appreciate the look out on new technologies though.

Comment

HAHAHA
                        oh man, I've seen all those sites.
                        You know there is NOTHING that special about these computers that would make them impossible at all. ALL THE PARTS EXIST!! I could buy the parts and make one myself for christ's sake.

None of the information given in that conspiracy site mean that the L computers don't exist. If you are logical and think about it, there is no reason to think they don't exist. If you think they don't exist, you may be right, but there isnt a single GOOD reason to doubt it. You get what I'm saying?

Comment

HAHAHA
                          oh man, I've seen all those sites.
                          You know there is NOTHING that special about these computers that would make them impossible at all. ALL THE PARTS EXIST!! I could buy the parts and make one myself for christ's sake.

None of the information given in that conspiracy site mean that the L computers don't exist. If you are logical and think about it, there is no reason to think they don't exist. If you think they don't exist, you may be right, but there isnt a single GOOD reason to doubt it. You get what I'm saying?

You obviously don't read very carefully.
                          [H]4 Life
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

I'm tired of seeing so many threads about new technology. The posters should at least know a little about the subject and even describe its application in carputers. That means... you tell us how fast it boots, how to do it, and how much it costs. Don't bother quoting stuff, because I can read that from their site.

"OMG leik this uber-new flash compakt RAM-drive cna b00t REALLY REALLY FAST! its only $3,000! GET IT"

Comment

what is this?

I think it's a big hoax. There is no info anywhere about puram, except it's a city in india. If i won the lottery, i'd blow a few bucks to prove it's a hoax
                              Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
                              Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

Comment

Working...
                              X