Look what I broke :/

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I broke :/

I just got this little PC. Its a King embedded machine. It has a 10.4" 1064x768 200 nit screen (says 200 nits but looks brighter than my used datalux). It has a 400mhz Celeron, Microtouch capacitive touchscreen, TV tuner, 2 pcmcia ports and a USB port. Also, the first version also had a DVD decoder, this one didnt come with one but has a zoom video port for a Margi. Very cool setup for in car.

It worked great for a couple days. I played Kung Fu Chess (shizmoo.com) for 4 hours straight the first night, it was killer with the touchscreen.

Well, I decided to take it apart last night.. and everything went smooth. I just wanted to see what was inside. I dissasembled everything and put it back together. Worked fine all day.

I get home from the movies and take it apart again to see how far I could move the LCD away from the base without adding any wire. Well, far enough for me to lay the unit sideways in my center console and have the screen vertical. Good news. I put it back together, fired it up..... only fans spun.

Im getting no boot, no hard drive activity, just fans. I took it apart again, and nothing I could see had been shorting out, I checked all connections and reseated the ram. Still no go.

I was going to reseat the cpu, but I couldnt figure out how to remove it and I didnt want to put alot of pressure on it. It looks like a pga2 mobile.

Im thinking about just selling it for $100 for parts/fix or just dump touchscreen and controller on Ebay. But I would love to get this working. If I cant, I'm going to order another ($350).

Not sure what you done there, but most likely you must have disturbed some connections. All you can do is reseat anything that you can see which you must have done already.

Where did you get it from? It look interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
      Not sure what you done there, but most likely you must have disturbed some connections. All you can do is reseat anything that you can see which you must have done already.

Where did you get it from? It look interesting.
      I'm going to give every connection another look tomorrow. Worst case, I may have fried CPU. The long/thin metal piece in the 3rd picture is the top of the heatskink. It may have got bent a little, enough not to make good contact. But thats just a wild guess, it looks like its on there good.

I get them from a local electronics place (local=1 hour away), they deal in closeout stuff too and they happened to get a truckload of these. They were used for conventions and kiosks. If anyone is interested in buying a working one, I could help you out. Mine was actually new, some are used. They come with 4gb laptop hardrive also loaded with win98 and all drivers. My cost is $350, I will probably buy another for myself, I think I could get 2 for $600. Be a good deal for someone else too

Comment

Did you try punching the reset button?

(oh yea, I meant to add this...)
        current projects

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins
          Did you try punching the reset button?
          Yes

Comment

Best hope is that you have a bad connection, one of the
            screws you have removed helped make a ground?

look for a fuse, and check it.

Check your power supply.

You may have done this already!

Hope you fix it.

Comment

Quick update:

The motherboard gets its power from the touch controller. There is a standard power jack that connects the 2. I held the jack upwards with a little pressure and kept hitting the reset button, I got it to boot up twice. First time it tried to load safemode and crashed, second time it went to load windows 98 and crashed. Nothing after that except a tiny little spark on a resistor or something near the motherbaord power jack. Not looking good ..

I've had the onset of a migraine all day, so I may be in bed for a few days before I can take another look at it

Comment

Might have some damage/loose components on mobo.

Unless you are using a different power adapter than what correctly fits...it sounds like the upward pressure flexes the board, and closes the traces...
                current projects

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins
                  Might have some damage/loose components on mobo.

Unless you are using a different power adapter than what correctly fits...it sounds like the upward pressure flexes the board, and closes the traces...
                  I think you nailed it. The power connecter is good, and its getting the correct voltage to the first component on the board (so I know its not loose solder on the power input, but further down the line).

I'm not sure if I'll be able to track this one down. I have experience working with arcade machines for the last 6 years, I've repaired many a PCB. But the traces are soo small compared to an arcade board. I checked with my multimeter around the resistor that looked like it was sparking, it seems to be getting good connection. I couldnt see the exact spot because it was in the case at the time. I'll keep flexing the board just a little and check for broken traces but ..

This may be in the WTS forum Monday. Need to make sure I can get anotehr first, I'll probably buy an extra to sell or for a small mame project.

Comment

I'm just going to buy a new one, I dont have time to mess with this. Still have the center console to build. I made a deal with the supplier. I have some for sale in the WTS/WTB forum.

I would post a link, but I dont want to crosspost. Just look for WTS: King IMDM ....." thread if interested.

Comment

Working...
                    X