mini-itx refrigerator????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini-itx refrigerator????

i was thinking of building a mini itx, but with my knowledge, time, and skill. i decided not to try it, but i still want it to look cool and funtion. i have a mini fridge about 3 foot deep and 4 tall and thought "why not put a comp in it and keep it cool??"

what do you guys think???????
    Dupe Accounts/Troll

moisture could be a problem wouldnt u think?
    2011 Nissan Frontier SL
    AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
    OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

it's been done

Comment

Fill it with beer as well as the computer. It helps lower the temp of your system. Regular works better then lite beer.
        A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
        http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

thanks guys

if i could just shrink wrap or something i dunno moisture would be the only problem, and also where to stash my oh so loved bottles of jack
          Dupe Accounts/Troll

Comment

For a carputer why would you need anything other than air cooling? With cooling methods like peltier, condensation can be a serious problem, and alot of silicone sealent has to be employed (atleast for the last setup ive played with). Plus running the compressor seems like a wasteful drain on your power.

Comment

Well you could find a small de-humidifier and put it in there and cut an exhaust into the fridge... thats what we were going to do when we thought about that as a case idea!!
              New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

Condenstation really isn't a big problem like with peltier, ice water, etc. It happens because the peltier or waterblock is colder than the surrounding air temperature. In a fridge the computer would be warm. Moisture in the air could

I wouldn't do though for other reasons. It's big, uses a lot of power, not very effective at cooling (the computer continously generates heat - fridge isn't designed for this) and because of the last point, it would have a low realibility because the compressor would be running probably the whole time.

If you have the space for a mini-fridge, you also have the space an mATX/ATX mini/mid case

Comment

Originally posted by mugu
                  For a carputer why would you need anything other than air cooling? With cooling methods like peltier, condensation can be a serious problem, and alot of silicone sealent has to be employed (atleast for the last setup ive played with). Plus running the compressor seems like a wasteful drain on your power.

no, sorry this one is in home
                  Dupe Accounts/Troll

Comment

acornstu

Originally posted by R3l0ad
                    Well you could find a small de-humidifier and put it in there and cut an exhaust into the fridge... thats what we were going to do when we thought about that as a case idea!!
                    ha ha!!! so, i'm not that crazy?? or we both are
                    Dupe Accounts/Troll

Comment

In that case... I suppose you could do it. But the issue of compressor realibility is still there.

You should go a chest freezer and mineral oil

Comment

Working...
                      X