No announcement yet.

Help with linux boot...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with linux boot...

Hello all,

I am trying to swich from win98lite to linux on my carputer, but linux is not as fast to boot as windows right now on my computer. I saw some posts saing that linux boots real fast. So what do i need to do to decrease boot time in linux? I mean, what services do i need to run, and what i don't. Is syslog, and this stuff really necessary? I run debian. Tanks a lot for any help
    Car: FORD EcoSport XLS 2004

Computer: Pentium II 300 @ 318 Mhz, 128 Mb Ram, 20 Gb HD DVD Rom, Trident 9685 TV-out video, Sonic Vibes Sound Card, 5.6" TFT Lcd, 300w power inverter, Genius Trackball and IRman remote control receiver.

Completion: 99%

i'm not sure about the debian boot process since I've never used it. But pretty much you don't need all that much running. I take whats running in run level one and do the same for run level 3. So I stop everything from running in run level 3 that isn't running in 1. Then I just add my networking to run on bootup and i'm good to go. Also I compiled a kernel to fit my system. I get sub 20ish from bios to running my app
    '98 Explorer Sport (down atm)
    AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
    80% done