Future automotive technologies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future automotive technologies

This is a good read about new computer-based technologies that may be added to new cars in the future.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...5514_tc127.htm

Personally, I'm all for technology-enhanced cars (isn't that what this forum is all about?). I only hope that auto makers can be certain that the computerized functions of their cars are just as reliable as the mechanical functions. Who would want to be stranded somewhere just because some little chip in the car failed and it completly won't run?

What do you guys/gals think about these upcoming changes?
    Phillip Hullquist

I entertain people through adventure movies.
    www.11visions.com

Some of our cars are already full of little chips that could cause our car not to run. If my ECU failed my car would not run. If my tiptronic control unit failed I could not change gears...

Car are keeping less and less mechanics each release. Valves are now electronically controlled, as are gauges, engine timing and fuel mixture ratios... It's not like car manufacturer's are noobs when it comes to computers.
    Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
    Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

I hear alot about the automotive industry pushing to switch over to 40 or 42volt systems in cars. Any idea when this will happen? I have been reading / hearing about it for years and it doesn't seem like any current vehicles on the road use this.

When and if this does happen, imagine how much easier it will be to design / build DC-DC PSU's !!

Comment

40 or 42V systems thats a lot of power just imagine how much it will cost you to replace a battery.

Comment

I hear alot about the automotive industry pushing to switch over to 40 or 42volt systems in cars.

Did they say the reason why?

Comment

spark? more power? bigger fuses?

and my all time favorite
            "what you only have a 12v system in there? Ha! 42v be-atch!"
            Originally posted by menudude
            thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

well..
              V * A = W
              so keeping the same amount of power but raising the volts would require less amps. for example..

12v * 100a = 1200w
              or
              40v * 30a = 1200w

there was a discussion about this in the caraudio.com forums about a year or so ago...we basically decided that since cars are going towards being more controlled electrically than mechanically, the more power, the better. im searching for the thread but i cant seem to find it...
              rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                I hear alot about the automotive industry pushing to switch over to 40 or 42volt systems in cars.

Did they say the reason why?
                One thing it allows you do is have smaller gauge wire to run everything. This is why airplanes use 24 V battery system to reduce weight in the wiring. And "Power" of a battery really depends more on size/construction than the voltage of the battery. So I would not think that a 42 volt battery(assuming same size/construction) would not have any more power than the standard 12 volt car battery.

Quincy

Comment

Originally posted by edgie345
                  40 or 42V systems thats a lot of power just imagine how much it will cost you to replace a battery.
                  I don't imagine the 40 or 42 volt battery costing that much more than a 12 volt battery today. Initially the prices might be higher, but in the end it's mass production that will bring the cost down.

Comment

Ok I get the idea of increasing the voltage would require less current for the same amount of power and also thiner wire. But its not as if the car is 1 mile long to have significant effect.

I sure agree with the idea on aeroplane and power station with weight and distance problems.

Car electronics dont use much power either. The only things that uses the most power is the starter motor, heater and head lights...they are about a few foot away from the battery.

Im sure theres more reason into it. My thinking is they wanna reduce the cost of the wirings.

A 42V batery should cost alot more than a 12V...its just the way they are constructed as they need more cells...more plates. Unless theres a new type of battery.

How about the rest of the car parts? they all need to be redesigned to take 42V. Car manufacturers hardly make their own electrical parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                      A 42V batery should cost alot more than a 12V...its just the way they are constructed as they need more cells...more plates. Unless theres a new type of battery.

How about the rest of the car parts? they all need to be redesigned to take 42V. Car manufacturers hardly make their own electrical parts.
                      Not necessarily, more plates yes, but if the current form factor is kept, the plates will be smaller. I imagine they might go a little bigger with the batteries, but not by much.

The rest of the car parts, well many of the components in your car already run on way less than 12v, it's just a matter of stepping things down.
                      [H]4 Life
                      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
                      X