Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SO can you use your computer with the car off?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO can you use your computer with the car off?

Does your typical battery provide enough juice for this? I checked my voltmeter when I had the key in the "accessory" position and the car not started - what I saw was probably 11.8 volts.

How many of you use your computer when the car is not running?

cheers
    Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
    Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

I do. But I have Espresso PC and that guy can take it from 10-15V I believe.
    - Lwin M. Maung
    If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

yes i do.. mine has gone for 90 minutes
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

Yep. No problem up to 90 min. as well. I wouldn't want to go longer than that as regular car bateries arn't made to be drained and chrged like that.

I do plan on getting an Optima red or yellow top battery soon for this reason as well as others.
        Aura MR62 (F and R)
        My Current MP3s
        IamDefiler.com

Comment

My 150watt Opus will shut down if the battery gets to a critical level...I've only gone maybe...an hour with the car off.
          MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
          Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
          Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Thats great to know! I normally only play music with the engine off when waiting for the gfriend to get off work, etc... but it would suck not to be able to use the system with the car off...

thanks guys
            Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
            Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by brrman
              Thats great to know! I normally only play music with the engine off when waiting for the gfriend to get off work, etc... but it would suck not to be able to use the system with the car off...

thanks guys

It will suck worse when your gfriend gets off work and the car wont start. So get a good battery. I recomend an optima red top. Read up on the yellow tops if you want one of those.I think i remember that a car charging system cant maintain them properly, something about full discharge and recharge. Note sure though, best to call the company.

mike
              91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

Originally posted by brrman
                How many of you use your computer when the car is not running?
                Not very often, but I do sometimes. My system only draws 2A, so I think I can run it for quite a long time without killing the battery. Also runs down to around 9V (though I wouldn't want to).

Rob
                Old Systems retired due to new car
                New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

They sell battery isolators/protectors that will kill the connection and leave enough to start the car a few times, do not own one currently but I did at one time.
                  "If the mirror aint shakin, you've been taken"

Comment

Working...
                  X