Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you guys find enough music to sustain a carputer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you guys find enough music to sustain a carputer?

I havent built my carputer yet but just thinking in advance:
    It would be quite difficult to constantly play MP3s and always listen to new stuff
    I only have 147 hours of music which isnt all that much if you think about it
    No one wants to listen to the same stuff over and over

So do you guys go between radio and MP3s or do you just have insane amounts of music?
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Actually I have exactly 499 mp3 files, which at first I didn't think was all that many, but I constantly find myself only listening to my MP3 collection. I have XM-Radio, and listen to talk radio, and some music on that, but more times than not I am listening to my MP3's. If you think about it, it is really like any other music collection, no one has an unlimited number of CD's.
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

I have about 3000 mp3s, and that is only about half of my CD collection...eventually I will get around to ripping the rest.

So far it will run for 2 weeks non stop before I hear a song twice.
      current projects

Comment

i have 969,347 hours of music on my carpc

Comment

Originally posted by lilcgt
          i have 969,347 hours of music on my carpc

I kind of find that hard to believe,,

(edited after I re-did the math): at the average 16k per second of an MP3 (after compression) , that would mean you have: 55,834,387,200k (55 terrabytes) worth of Mp3's,,

it would also mean that you have 110 Years worth of music!!
          Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

Originally posted by MeanGT
            I kind of find that hard to believe,,

(edited after I re-did the math): at the average 16k per second of an MP3 (after compression) , that would mean you have: 55,834,387,200k (55 terrabytes) worth of Mp3's,,

it would also mean that you have 110 Years worth of music!!

you mean your car doesn't have a RAID farm of 300GB drives?
            A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
            http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy2097
              you mean your car doesn't have a RAID farm of 300GB drives?

Of course I do!, fact I have this in my trunk :

(Attachments don't seem to be working!! Imagine picture of room full of servers here)

Comment

MeanGT:
                yea its hard to believe to have that many hours of music...
                128kbps from personal view its minimum to listen...i would prefer at leat 192kbps which in his case would give him way much more than 55TB (what a storage - if its on hdds)

i have pretty big collection of movies and i can hardly store 1/10 of them on hdds...btw all of them are fully legit
                Danny.

"If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
                My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

Comment

You dont need too large of a collection to be better than radio. Recall the last time you said to yourself, "This is the third time today they've played this song!!!!"

-J
                  Vehicle: 2003 Mistubishi Evolution
                  PC Specs: 1gHz Nehemiah M10000
                  512mb RAM
                  Windows XP Professional
                  80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
                  UI: MediaEngine 2.1

Comment

I currently have around 280 gigs of media (video and audio). It comes out to around 5000+ mp3's and a pile of video. I don't worry about running out of stuff to listen to any time soon.

Comment

The thing i want to know is not how you find enough. its how you select what songs to get....Like its hard for me to think of all the songs i like listening to but arent like my favs, so they dont like stick out....hmm suggestions???

-J
                      Vehicle: 2003 Mistubishi Evolution
                      PC Specs: 1gHz Nehemiah M10000
                      512mb RAM
                      Windows XP Professional
                      80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
                      UI: MediaEngine 2.1

Comment

Shuffle.

Comment

Originally posted by supralightning
                          The thing i want to know is not how you find enough. its how you select what songs to get....Like its hard for me to think of all the songs i like listening to but arent like my favs, so they dont like stick out....hmm suggestions???

-J
                          im more of an album person
                          i have everything sorted into albums on my computer
                          247 in all

when im in the mood i turn on my master playlist and choose shuffle
                          but usually im just listening to one a few of my favorites

Comment

Originally posted by supralightning

-J
                            I have a simple thing to do. Download everything from an artist you like, and start listening Heh.. That brought my collection from around 400 in September to around 1200-1500 now
                            1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

another thing ive thought about is that on longer trips no doubt i want my MP3s but for small trips like to and from class, to the grocery store, to work, etc it doesnt seem like id take the trouble to find something to listen to
                              easier thing to do is just flip on the radio unfortunately
                              2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Working...
                              X