n00b looking to get some tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b looking to get some tools

So im pretty new to electronics and what not, and im looking to get some good newbie tools to start off. Im looking to get a good solder pencil and solder (no more butt plugs!), and a good wire stripper (no more razor blade!), and perhaps a tool to test voltage in a circuit.

Any reccommend any online sites or chain stores to pick these tools?
    I know i can use google, but im looking for peoples favorites stores

Butt SPLICE! SPLICE!!

Good place to get the basics is at a Radio Shack. That is, if you live in the States.
    The ALEXIS Project
    MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
    Color Coding :
    DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

as deadweasel said: Radio Shack would be a good place to check
      also http://www.allelectronics.com if you buy stuff online.
      Danny.

"If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
      My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

Comment

Originally posted by souljetta
        good wire stripper (no more razor blade!), and perhaps a tool to test voltage in a circuit.

Isn't that what teeth are for? They are insulated too. I once stripped a 50V AC wire with my teeth. Needless to say I forgot to turn it off. Bit, teeth insulated the electricity, but as soon as my tongue touched the wires, I lost feeling in my tongue for the next few days. i could eat all the hot sauce I wanted then.

Kids, don't do it at home
        - Lwin M. Maung
        If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

Holy crap! Yeah, that will give your tongue immortality! I stripped a live phone wire with my teeth once, and touched it with the tongue. Instant buzz factor! Not as bad as the 50v, but holy crap was my tongue numb for a couple days!
          The ALEXIS Project
          MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
          Color Coding :
          DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

radio shack is a good place to get beginner multimeters and solder irons... however i would go to home depot or lowes to get a wire stripper.

if you've got the money to spend, get a fluke meter and a weller soldering iron. good stuff.

try to get a meter that reads voltage, current, resistance, capacitance, and a diode tester.
            My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

I do the teeth stripping as well. I stripped a wire on the ring generator for a 911 equipment shelf (80v 30hz) set there bouncing up and down until I was able to knock the cord loose.

Comment

Originally posted by eugenen
                I do the teeth stripping as well. I stripped a wire on the ring generator for a 911 equipment shelf (80v 30hz) set there bouncing up and down until I was able to knock the cord loose.
                A guy I worked with got some 220v 60hz to his right hand. He crapped his pants instantly. If it wasn't a near-death experience it would have been hilarious.

OK. It was hilarious anyway!

On another subject: don't bother buying a Fluke meter - they're expensive. They're worth it if you're planning to spend a lot of time working on delicate electronics. But for auto install and carputer use, a no-name digital multimeter will do just fine. I've got a Fluke at work, and a Radio Shack at home.

For wire strippers get the good ones, not the cheap ones:
                Attached Files
                So far:
                M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Also: don't buy the $19.95 digital multimeter at Radio Shack. It is a peice of crap. I bought one for a small contract job. It was so bad it had trouble checking continuity. There are decent meters that aren't Flukes. I can't think of any brand name right now, though.

Here's a link:
                  http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...0BL&type=store
                  So far:
                  M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

sears is another good place for meters
                    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Extech has a nice True-RMS multimeter for about $80 bucks right now.
                      [H]4 Life
                      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                      I'm a lesbian too.
                      I am for hire!

Comment

people people
                        all of you are missing the great tool ever
                        With this tool you can move mountains
                        you can Unearth the dead
                        you can remove and pair of panties with ease
                        you can drive all most forever
                        you can do all these thigns and more with BEER

I wouldnt be where I am today if it wasnt for beer. I wouldnt have worked in the places I have worked if it wasnt for beer. (I also wouldnt have to work at Burger King if it wasnt for beer) I wouldnt be able to drive straight if it wasnt for beer.

to my never ending supply of beer I wouldnt do a damn thing
                        Originally posted by menudude
                        thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

Hoorraaay for beer. I got a wirestripper from lowes which had some crimping things on it it was like $10 not bad for what I use it for.
                          CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                          Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

I gotta throw this in, since we're talking about tools:
                            THE GREATEST TOOL IN THE WORLD (except for previously mentioned, beer) IS THE SNAP-ON RATCHETING SCREWDRIVER!!!

This thing is the bomb! It's pricey at $48, but well worth it. I never felt this way about a screwdriver before. They tried to take it from me at the airport, and I was considering walking from Boston to Pittsburgh rather than surrender my screwdriver! Fortunately for me and my screwdriver I got to check that bag and keep my screwdriver.

You gotta check this thing out. It's no normal screwdriver. www snapon com part number SSDMR4B.
                            So far:

Comment

The best most used tool I have is my leatherman wave. Second most is the Cordless drill

Comment

Working...
                              X