Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those of you that have used Peal N Seal...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those of you that have used Peal N Seal...

I am ready to install some new stuff in the car and was wondering about sound deadening material. I've searched here and on other forums about cheap alternatives. I have heard good and bad about Peal N Seal. Some say it sticks like stink and I've heard it eventually falls off walls and roofs and leaves a nasty mess. I've heard it smells like stink and I've heard it hardly smells at all.

I am asking this:

1. Do you have it installed in your car?
    2. How long has it been installed and where in the car?
    3. Any issues with it?
    4. Have you used anything else that you think is better and why?
    5. Add any other comments (relating to the subject ).

I don't want to spend a fortune on this area of the car but I need to do something. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

It's not too bad if you clean the surface really well. I have 2 layers on my doors, but I only installed it in early fall, so I don't know how well it will hold up in the summer. It smells a little when you unwrap it, but once I installed it, I can't smell anything. It works well, and is easy to install. If you're going to do a good portion, ie about 60 sq. ft. or so, I'd recommend second skin damplifier. When and if I do it again, I'm going this route. If you register on caraudioforum.com or caraudio.com, a guy by the name of second skin rep gives a 50% discount to members. Another guy on caraudioforum.com tested a bunch of sound deadeners, and he recommends it as a dynamat extreme alternative. I wouldn't recommend putting P&S on the roof or trunk, because it has a pretty low heat tolerance before it starts to come off. For some alternatives, look at Brown Bread, FatMat or RaamMat.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am a member over on caraudio.com. I read a number of posts mention just what you said. I might wait another day or two before buying anything.

Com'mon Frodo!!! I thought for sure you would be the first post in here considering you're the first to mention PnS whenever asked about the subject.
      Aura MR62 (F and R)
      My Current MP3s
      IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
        Com'mon Frodo!!! I thought for sure you would be the first post in here considering you're the first to mention PnS whenever asked about the subject.

It might stink for a few days. It needs time to breathe.

As for falling off, just make sure you apply it to a clean surface.
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

Well, I found a place local to Tampa that sells it for pretty cheap. The 4" x 33' roll is about $8 and the 6" x 33' roll is about $12.

For that much I'll buy a bunch and try it out. What the hell.

Also, don't know if this was mentioned but I found out a 12" x 30' roll wieghs 10Lbs. So, prolly a little less after the backing has been removed.

Keep those comments rolling in!!!
          Aura MR62 (F and R)
          My Current MP3s
          IamDefiler.com

Comment

Those prices are great! 1.38 ft^2
            [H]4 Life
            I'm a lesbian too.
            I am for hire!

Comment

sorry for my ignorence but what does sound deadener ACTUALLY DO?

stop vibrations? Limit sound from ouside in and vice versa?

thanks
              It aint no family car.

SEE MK2 At : -
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22810

Comment

Sound deadeners like Dynamat, P&S, etc. add mass to panels prone to vibrating to lower the frequency the panel vibrates at. It stops some sound from coming in, but it's not really what it's made for. To get rid of exterior noise, a layer of deadener underneath a foam and mass loaded vinyl or lead composite is said to work best. The deadener's great to stop the door panels or trunk panels from vibrating and also to seal any holes in the door which makes a big improvement in midbass response .

Comment

Here is a post from the caraudio.com forums. This is a guy who sells secondskin which is a cheaper alternative to Dynamat.

Q. I heard that sound deadening my car will actually keep the bass in the car. I want my vibrations to stop, but how on earth will I ever pull mad trim if the ladies can't hear me coming from 3 blocks away?

A. Using a vibration damper on you car will in fact help keep the sound in the car.
                  Without sound damping the typical car cabin will lose 2-5 dbs of "sonic energy” because the bass energy is being used to flext the panels.
                  Damping the vibrating panels makes them stronger; this makes it harder for them to vibrate with the given amount of energy your subs produce. Since the energy is no longer wasted on moving those panels it is kept in the car.

Bass in a car will force energy out of the car through the most efficient means possible, thus being the week areas of the car, thus being the thin panels of the car, thus...vibrations and panel flex.

Think of it like a sub woofer enclosure. Put a 15 inch sub with 1000 watts in an enclosure made out of 3/4 inch MDF. Then put the same sub in an enclosure made out of cardboard. Where does the energy go in each? Where is the energy lost in each? The solid box will hold the energy and force it out the port or the sub. The flimsy box will lose energy everywhere since the cardboard is far less strong than the sub woofer.

More of the energy is kept in a dampened car, making it louder in the car, and less loud out side of the car. However, once you roll the windows down there will be more bass energy escaping through the windows. The dampened car with the windows rolled down will be louder since the energy is redirect into the car and out the window.
                  The undampened car will not project as much bass energy outside the car because it is wasting some of it by flexing the panels. You will however have louder vibrations than the dampened car and the total energy will be about the same. But in the real car audio world we don’t care about energy. We care about the bass.

Dampen your car to make it more efficient at projecting bass out your windows.

Hope this helps...
                  Aura MR62 (F and R)
                  My Current MP3s
                  IamDefiler.com

Comment

I have something very similar to peel and seal in my truck. It's essentially the same thing. It's called "grace ice". I think it was about $60 at a local roofing supply place and I did everything. The doors, the ceiling, the pillars, the floor.... and I still had some left (it's quite a large roll). But to answer your questions.

1) No, but it's pretty much the same thing.
                    2) About 10 months
                    3)The asphalt portion of itstained the small areas around the bolt holes for the seat. You can't see it at all when the seat is bolted in, only when you take it out. I don't know if this qualifies as an "issue" but it's the worst thing that's happened.
                    4) DampX (I believe it's called) I have used before and it had better noise dampening qualities.
                    5)No.. any other questions regarding the subject?

Comment

OH MY!!! DDT graces the forum again and in my thread.

Well, I started the car today abit a little late in the day. The driver side is pratically done and I have only used 1 and 1/3 rolls. I bought 3 6" x 33' and 1 4" x 33' rolls for $50.xx. Havn't touched the 4" roll yet.

Just a few comments on it. This stuff is sticky as hell. I don't think I will have issues with it falling off anytime before they drop the bomb. Second, it does NOT stink at all. I didn't notice any smell what so ever. Cuts with ease with a plain pair of scissors. Tapping the floor of the driver side compared to the pass. side, I can deffinatly notice a difference in noise. More of a thud than "ting". I will most likely need another 6" wide roll for the trunk. If I had more money/time to do this I would've done two layers.

Well, should have it done by the end of tomorrow. Will post an update with pics.
                      Aura MR62 (F and R)
                      My Current MP3s
                      IamDefiler.com

Comment

I noticed a difference when I added a second layer on mine. I do agree with you, though. It was a lot stickier than I thought it would be. I haven't had a chance to do the floor yet, but here's a pic of the door:

Comment

You have a funny typo there Defiler... (You said it's so sticky, then said it does NOT stick, instead of stink...a bit confusing)
                          [H]4 Life
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                            You have a funny typo there Defiler... (You said it's so sticky, then said it does NOT stick, instead of stink...a bit confusing)
                            HA!

Yeah, that would be a bit confusing. It has been fixed. reading "it does not STINK..."

Great job on the door BBrinks. I hope mine turns out as nice.

It looks like I picked the wrong weekend to tear my interrior out. It's pouring down rain at the momment and according to the Weather channel it doesn't look like it will clear up for some time.
                            Aura MR62 (F and R)
                            My Current MP3s
                            IamDefiler.com

Comment

Well, the weather cleared up and I finished what I could which is only the floors. I also ran out with just a few more spots left but it's not a big deal.

I guess next weekend may be the doors and the trunk. Here are the pics.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Aura MR62 (F and R)
                              My Current MP3s
                              IamDefiler.com

Comment

Working...
                              X