Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question On Boot Times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question On Boot Times

    Hey I'm working on a carputer project and I'm just curious as to what Operating systems are most of you using with what hardware, what are your boot times and what exactly your doing to get boot times to a bear minimum.

    I'm putting a switch in the door so when you open the doors it starts the system and I'm trying to get it to boot with in 7 seconds.

  • #2
    I am just using and Epia Motherboard with Windows XP Pro. My boot time is around 45 seconds or so with no real tweeks. It goes from power off to music in that time. I don't care to spend the time reducing it... I'm just out of my driveway by the time the music starts so it's no big deal. Some people are more picky tho and I've read about 30 sec boot times with XP.

    7 seconds is unheard of. I have never heard of a PC booting that fast... you can barely get through the Motherboard's POST test in that time.

    I suggest looking into your motherboards BIOS and disabling unneeded features. Also, visit tweakxp.com for some tips on increasing the performance of WinXP.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks. Well one of the reasons for the super fast boot time is that I am going to have the computer controling the ignation (no key's will be needed for the car). I've been considering a microcontroller for the car's ignition and to initialize a computer so that then the computer can take longer to boot while the car is being started.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have heard of custom linux distros being able to boot pretty quickly, so if you aren't against using linux, then you might want to go that way.

        Comment


        • #5
          Linux is kind of what I was thinking. Is there any one here who has used linux for this?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mybrotherrob
            Hey I'm working on a carputer project and I'm just curious as to what Operating systems are most of you using with what hardware, what are your boot times and what exactly your doing to get boot times to a bare minimum.
            25 seconds to music (including 20 seconds of post), running MS-DOS 6.2.

            To reduce boot time I did the following:

            Fast boot (no mem check).
            Remove himem.sys.
            Remove smartdrv.
            No networking by default (NDIS is started from a batch file should I wish to transfer mp3s).
            Pre-compile all playlists and ID3 info to a binary file and load that (instead of parsing id3 tags from mp3 files).


            Rob
            Old Systems retired due to new car
            New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mybrotherrob
              Thanks. Well one of the reasons for the super fast boot time is that I am going to have the computer controling the ignation (no key's will be needed for the car). I've been considering a microcontroller for the car's ignition and to initialize a computer so that then the computer can take longer to boot while the car is being started.
              Is there a way you can have the car's ignition connected to the switch you are implimenting in your door? I personally would not want to have my computer control my ignition... what if the computer crashes, harddrive dies, motherboard quits, etc. Then you're stuck until you replace the computer.

              I would suggest a pushbutton or other keyless ignition that does not require output from the computer.

              I dont understand why you would need a microcontroller... there are plenty of easier solutions.

              Comment


              • #8
                Not having any sort of key makes the car easier to steal. Granted if some one wants it some one is going to get it. I wanted to have a like a PIN entered off of a key pad in order to start the car. As far as the computer crashing and the car not working well not a big deal. I'm putting it in a car I don't drive any more. So this is more of an experiment on if I can do it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mybrotherrob
                  Not having any sort of key makes the car easier to steal. Granted if some one wants it some one is going to get it. I wanted to have a like a PIN entered off of a key pad in order to start the car. As far as the computer crashing and the car not working well not a big deal. I'm putting it in a car I don't drive any more. So this is more of an experiment on if I can do it.
                  Then I would go the microcontroller solution if you don't want to wait for PC boot. I just did a PIN access program with a MOTOROLA Microcontroller, keypad, and text LCD screen for school. If you need any help or pointers, let me know.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How about this? http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=4287
                    It is basically the same thing as the mobil speed pass uses. Much more secure than using the computer. Just wave the fob over the dash (or wherever) and have the car start.
                    2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      1:dont go epai
                      2:win98 i think if you have a fast prcessor and a good mobo if you disable all the checking ie. boot right to hdd w/o a: and the memtest you can prolly get around 20 seconds

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        definately a BIOs problem if your OS loads pretty fast. Try checking some of your settings...I had a similar problem because 1) i didnt have my hardware settings saved and it had to check them every time....and 2) there is a quickboot and a normal boot do a quickboot and it will go much faster.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by crosseye
                          7 seconds is unheard of. I have never heard of a PC booting that fast... you can barely get through the Motherboard's POST test in that time.
                          There's a guy who claims to have 7 second resume from suspend.
                          PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

                          1995 Lexus SC300

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            mines about 25 from hibernation. 512MB RAM though so thinking after CF upgrade might go over to EWF now most things have been straightened out

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I would try hooking up the staring of the car to your alarm remote so when you unlock the car it starts up. That would give you at least a second or two more time.

                              |V1 Virtual Display|

                              Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X