Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP Embedded flash boot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • XP Embedded flash boot?

    I didnt know where to go to post this since there doesnt seem to be a area for operating systems for the carputers.. so I put it in General

    I have read things here and there that it is possible to boot XP embedded from Flash ram/rom? Anyone done this yet?

    I am fairly computer savy, wouldnt you have to set it in the bios? I'll have to check the bios on my computer at home when I get there to see if there is an option for it.. I am planning on using the EPIA 1000 mobo (I know thats not the exact model but I forgot what the exact model is)

  • #2
    get a CF to IDE connector, put it on a flash card. Ive done it. Seems slow to me.
    2011 Nissan Frontier SL
    AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
    OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

    Comment


    • #3
      Custommx3, you'd recommend a hard disk over a flash drive anytime?
      -Mars

      Comment


      • #4
        Things that could make flash better:
        Works better in enviornments below freezing.
        Consumes alot less power.
        Smaller although usually not denser in terms of storage.

        Originally posted by Marsupial
        Custommx3, you'd recommend a hard disk over a flash drive anytime?
        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

        Comment


        • #5
          if you have a choice between a 20 gig extended range HDD (-20 to 80 celsius) and a setup including a 2 gig flash IDE drive... which would you choose?
          -Mars

          Comment


          • #6
            Which manufacturers make extended temperature HDDs? Where can you purchase them?

            Comment


            • #7
              http://www.hgst.com/portal/site/hgst...a0466460e4f0a0

              where can we buy? dunno, but will find out when I decide to buy all components.
              -Mars

              Comment


              • #8
                a 2 gig Flash drive would cost way too much $$$$$$$$$
                [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Shredder
                  I didnt know where to go to post this since there doesnt seem to be a area for operating systems for the carputers.. so I put it in General

                  I have read things here and there that it is possible to boot XP embedded from Flash ram/rom? Anyone done this yet?

                  I am fairly computer savy, wouldnt you have to set it in the bios? I'll have to check the bios on my computer at home when I get there to see if there is an option for it.. I am planning on using the EPIA 1000 mobo (I know thats not the exact model but I forgot what the exact model is)
                  It's a lot easier to boot really fast in Linux. In fact there are even replacement Bios you can get for the EPIA's that will make it boot very fast. The Empeg can boot up linux in about 3 seconds and it only runs a 233 Mhz processor. It does this by keeping the linux kernel in Flash memory and only mounting the hard drives read-only. Mounting the hard drives read-only also allievaties the need for cheesy shutdown controllers since turning off the machine without properly shutting it down is no problem.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Custommx3
                    get a CF to IDE connector, put it on a flash card. Ive done it. Seems slow to me.
                    What is your boot time? It seems like it would be a ton faster to me.. maybe its an IDE limitation?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by siberia37
                      It's a lot easier to boot really fast in Linux. In fact there are even replacement Bios you can get for the EPIA's that will make it boot very fast. The Empeg can boot up linux in about 3 seconds and it only runs a 233 Mhz processor. It does this by keeping the linux kernel in Flash memory and only mounting the hard drives read-only. Mounting the hard drives read-only also allievaties the need for cheesy shutdown controllers since turning off the machine without properly shutting it down is no problem.
                      I was woundering about running linux also, is there street mapping software out there for Linux? I'd also have to find out if my GPS reciever is supported by linux. I forgot what model it is and I am away from home on business so I cant just look at it

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X