No announcement yet.

Cigarette plugs

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigarette plugs

Just a quick question. I have a cigarette plug for a tv booster for my car, but i want to hardwire it. Which is positive and which is negative. ie. is the pin the positive, and the 2 outer plates are negative?

AUDI A4, 2.6 V6
    Audio: Morel, Audison, Hertz, Stinger, Pioneer
    Carputer: Mirco ATX, 2.4gHz, 256ram, 80gig, 7"touchscreen, Opus

Unfortunately, that's the end! Was good while it lasted, but gotta sell the car.

Unless it is something odd, all the plugs I have seen are positive tip, and ground on the sides.
    2005 Ford Focus ST

yepp your both right tip is pos side is neg

i've hardwired a cigarette plug before, but can't recall exactly what i did. now, i'm attempting to do it again with the cigarette adapter for my belkin fm transmitter. so i opened it up and noticed the the positive wire was connected to a spring. the spring had a glass fuse rated at 250V/500mA, and the fuse was attached to the tip.

so my question is... if i'm going to hardwire it, do i need the fuse in line with the positive connection? or do you think the fuse is utilized in illuminating the LED on the adaptor itself? i noticed that the transmitter itself says "DC input 12.0v/200mA".

thanks for the help.
        Mazda 6 Carputer {NEW ALBUM AVAILABLE FOR FREE!!!}

The fuse is used for the fm transmitter supply (it is inline with the tip). You should keep the fuse and wire it inline.
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.