S3 Suspend to Ram Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3 Suspend to Ram Setup

Ok, I know I have my M1000 set up as Acpi compliant, and in bios I have S3 enabled. I read from Coyote that he has good sucess with using this feature, very fast startup and shutdown. Stupid question...how do you enter S3 mode? Is that what Standby does? Grrr I hate being stupid sometimes!
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Yes, if the bios is set the S3, when you go into standby you will suspend to RAM.

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
    Ok, I know I have my M1000 set up as Acpi compliant, and in bios I have S3 enabled. I read from Coyote that he has good sucess with using this feature, very fast startup and shutdown. Stupid question...how do you enter S3 mode? Is that what Standby does? Grrr I hate being stupid sometimes!

Comment

I just tried that...HOLY ****NITZ its fast to resume! It is playing before my screen even fires up!

Now I just gotta see how much it is taking to keep it fired up like that.

Any opinions on S3? Is it usable in a car pc? It looks very promising, as long as ALL it is powering up is the memory, which is what I understand it does.
      2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

I think it is HOLY SHIZNIT...but anyways keep us posted. I am curious how much drain it has on your battery.
        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I've been using S3 in my car with the Opus - even though (as you may have read in other threads)

I have been doing this for over a month and the most the car has been left for is about 18 hours but I'd expect it to be OK for about a week at least with a good battery, the drain is pretty minimal.
          Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
          Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Yea, my initial math (ver very little math, but still..) led me to around a .2-.4 amp draw, which is about what a dome lamp would draw if left on. So I figure it will drain too much if left for more than overnight. I still havent checked it with a meter (thanks for reminding me to take it home!) but I will try to tonight. I wouldnt really have a problem shutting it all the way down at night and bringing it back up in the morning if I could s3 it during the day.
            2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
              Yea, my initial math (ver very little math, but still..) led me to around a .2-.4 amp draw, which is about what a dome lamp would draw if left on. So I figure it will drain too much if left for more than overnight. I still havent checked it with a meter (thanks for reminding me to take it home!) but I will try to tonight. I wouldnt really have a problem shutting it all the way down at night and bringing it back up in the morning if I could s3 it during the day.
              It depends if you have the 150W Opus or the 90W. On the 90W you can set a jumper to turn of stand-by power. This reduces power drain to 0.25 W. This works with STR/hibernate.

If you leave stand-by power on the drain is between 1 to 8 W, depending on mobo model + amount of (usb) I/O devices.

For the 150W Opus I don't think you can turn of stand-by power, so that would probably mean drain of between 1 to 8 W too.

Michael
              "It does not understand, if it does not ride."

M10000, 512 Mb, 2,5" 40G, Slim DVD, Opus 90W, Xenarc 7", Leadtek 9532 GPS,
              RoadRunner, MapMonkey, Pioneer HU, Pioneer 4 ch 400W, Kappa 6.5, Basslink X 200W

Comment

I'm gonna put a meter on mine and find out, my calculations for stand by were about 200mw, and around 20-30w when on depending on the tasks.

BTW, I always leave it on S3 standby overnight and due to a rare windows lock-up (and not checking it had actually went into standby) it was left on all day at work (7 hours) without causing any problems - don't forget the Opus has the battery drain prevention in case it gets too low
                Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                  I think it is HOLY SHIZNIT...but anyways keep us posted. I am curious how much drain it has on your battery.
                  With the M10000, 512Mb, I was drawing 100-150ma in standby. 2.5A-4.5A while running. Anybody know how does 100-150ma compare to other stuff that is running on the car's batt when the engine is off, like alarm sys?

Comment

Working...
                  X