A sad sad day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sad sad day

Today, the last Oldsmobile rolled off the assembly line. This is a sad point in time for anyone who appreciates a fine car. I remember my first ride in an Olds Tornado, front wheel drive and 455 cu in engine. I remember tire smoke flanking both sides of the car while that 4 barrel Quadrajet sounded like a cow giving birth. They made some nice cars over the years, the Cutlass and the 442, even the Aurora was cool.

How can they drop Oldsmobile and keep Saturn? That just aint right.
    Chris Krug
    owner, turbine minivan
    http://www.youtube.com/krugtech

Yeah GM really f'd that one up. One marketing campaign down the tubes... heh
    '02 GTI
    [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
    [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
    [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
    [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
    Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Comment

Originally posted by turbochris
      Today, the last Oldsmobile rolled off the assembly line. This is a sad point in time for anyone who appreciates a fine car. I remember my first ride in an Olds Tornado, front wheel drive and 455 cu in engine. I remember tire smoke flanking both sides of the car while that 4 barrel Quadrajet sounded like a cow giving birth. They made some nice cars over the years, the Cutlass and the 442, even the Aurora was cool.

How can they drop Oldsmobile and keep Saturn? That just aint right.
      What was the last one? I mean the model of the car?
      Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Didn't they also drop Buick a few years back and bring it back a few years later?

Comment

Originally posted by bgoodman
          Didn't they also drop Buick a few years back and bring it back a few years later?
          I don't know if they did that or not, but they should. Buicks suck! They have not changed the look of their cars in like 15 years, and they think its ok.
          Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Buick didn't need to change the design of their cars because old people drive them. Old people don't care what the car look like since they are going to drive it through the front of a store when they try to park.

Comment

True. Buicks suck but don't line up against a MODed Regal GS.
              Aura MR62 (F and R)
              My Current MP3s
              IamDefiler.com

Comment

What about Saturn???

That is the move from GM that just confusses me... they are such un-inspired cars.... I know they are designed to be inexpensive, but they just have absolutely NO character or inspire any interest in me....

Saturn is the line they should have dumped

Comment

I had a T Type a few years ago. Awesome ride! Wish I could have been able to afford a GNX.

One of my cars is a slammed '86 Regal. I used to have juice in it, but I took it out to put in my Blazer.

Comment

Buicks may suck for you, but they have their place. I have a beautiful 1995 Roadmaster Estate wagon. it's loaded, including a 350 LT1 with a flash programmable computer. We take it on road trips, it has an inverter so the kids can play video games and my wife can use her curling iron. This is our second one, the first one had 27,000 miles on it, some a-hole rear-ened it so hard it buckled the left rear door. Toatled. If my wife and kid were in a smaller car they would be dead. its like an SUV that you don't have to climb into.

We were out on a trip and it started running bad, then the check engine light came on. I grabbed my laptop from my son and scanned the engine, found a bad O2 sensor, my wife called around and found an auto parts store. We found out what was wrong with the car and came up with a solution and no one even got out of the car yet. $50 and an hour later we were back on the road. Anyone else would have had to find a shop and probably stay overnight.

So Buick is good for me, but it's not something to go pick up dates in.

The LT1 from the wreck is in my camaro now, that's the car that will have the computer built into the dash. I have some cool virtual gauge programs I want to try. Everything I'm mentioning here didn't
                    t cost a lot of money either.
                    Chris Krug
                    owner, turbine minivan

Comment

alero is thare last car. and thay had a van and SUV
                      Pete Kastner www.KastNERD.com

Comment

I've got a 99 Buick Regal, and I have to say it's a pretty darn good car. We bought it a couple years ago when we had our first kid so we'd have a safe vehicle, but with kid #2, we got a Yukon and I inherited the Regal from my wife.

It's got good power, especially for a family car, and it comfortably cruises at around 100mph. My wife used to regularily make the LA to Eugene, OR run (just under 1000 miles) in a 14 hour single shot, and that's with meal breaks at restaurants, gas, and so on. In the Yukon, she can now carry lots more stuff and two kids, but she splits the drive into two parts now.

When it comes to pure quarter mile, the Buick isn't really competetion to anyone, but if you need something with long legs, it's a keeper. It's the car I'm putting my system into.
                        Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                        http://hallert.net/

Comment

my fat a$$ wagon does 90 in the 1/4 mile in 16 seconds, not too shabby. it feels like your riding on air. It is an old persons car though, that's why they make the numbers and letters on the gauges so big
                          Chris Krug
                          owner, turbine minivan

Comment

nobody is willing to pay money for an oldsmobile. it they were to push out say 300 hp all wheel drive sports cars for an unbeatable price then maybe the company would have done better.

i'm probably just talking, but my dad use to own an oldsmobile cutlass cierra (sp?)
                            That was one pimp ride.
                            Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

ahh yes for thos e that think buicks are POS i have a friend with a modded GS id like you to tell that to

Comment

Working...
                              X