Carputer on Screen Savers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer on Screen Savers

Anybody see The Screen Savers on TechTV last night?

I caught the last half of the show. I came in in the middle of a story that Yoshi was doing about Carputers. He was driving around with a guy that had one in a M/B.

The show re-airs again at 8:00am Eastern (~1 1/2 hours). The story is about halfway thru the 1 hour show.

*edit- Should have put this in General Discussion, I guess.

Anyone able to capture this?

Would be interesting to see
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Yeah, I could capture it. Don't know how to best get it to you. Ideas?

Comment

here is the link to the show notes:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...674330,00.html

------------------
        VWMAN
        Live Long And Prosper
        VWMAN
        "Live Long And Prosper"

car: VW Cabriolet '90
        puter: M10000(toasted), Lilliput, CarNetix

Comment

I knew when I saw the show last night that it would come up in here. After seeing so many awesome carputers in this forum, I must say that I wasn't too impressed with the old Mercedes Benz or the carputer installed in it. First of all the touchscreen was friggin' huge and bulky, looked like the bezel was about 2-3" thick. Next, the guy must of had a mid to full-size atx case in his trunk. He opened the case and it looked like such a waste of space, he could have easily fit all his components into a much smaller case. Also, notice when they show the misc. stuff to the right of his trunk. He claims to have a DC-DC power supply in his case, but it sure looks like he's still running a Power Inverter (the box just below his cell phone booster box). I could go on and on. But hey, he's on TV so his carputer must be really great!!! I would have much rather seen someone off this forum on there showing what a good install looks like. The only thing that I was interested in was this guy's cell phone booster, anybody have one of these?
          1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

DT2, I pretty much thought the same thing. But I didn't get to see it all yet.

Comment

I am glad to see the tone of this post going in this manner.... I saw the entire story and came to the same opinions as you guys did. That was a pretty lame setup.... compaired to many I have seen here it totally sucked.

All points made above are very true. The install was cheap and lazy, did anybody notice the GPS antenna wire running out the back side of the truck hinge with the antenna laying on the trunck lid. The screen was just stupid looking and must have been 1980's technology. The only part of the install that looked somewhat well done was the power setup in the right side of the trunk....

And the comment about the DC-DC power supply looking ALOT like a 300 watt inverter was so true. I was watching it and saying "Mo Fo, that is a fregging inverter....."

I was going to post something on the forum about this last night, but it appeared to me that the forum was done and I figured the guy who did that car would probably be a member here and I would get into another flame war....

If you are a member here, sorry, but it is how I feel. Your setup was just not what I would have liked presented to a national TV audience as CarPC'ing at it's best.... There is many better examples done by members here... Hell even my first car install was better than that... and I just ripped it out to do better.

Comment

Dug1967, I felt the same way about not wanting to start this thread in fear that the guy was on this forum. Obviously he is not or he would have had a much better set up hardware wise (better touchscreen, cleaner install, smaller case, etc....) and software wise he could have showed off one of the great FREE carputer frontends (MediaEngine, MediaCar, Frodoplayer, etc...)
                1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

Well, I have it captured. If someone really wants it, tell me how to get it to you.

As said, it's not anything special.

Comment

I forgot to mention does anybody else hate Kevin Rose as much as I do???? GOD I can't stand that guy, want to punch him in the face. All he ever talks about is all his websites and managing them blah blah blah and my graphics card is so awesome 90fps @ 1024x768. I just want to call the show and say Kevin nobody wants to hear about your [email protected] graphics card every night.

Comment

I like him. I like some of the things he's done. Like melting a PC to the ground with a drive bay full of thermite.

Comment

i captured it. made it a wmv file 10.4meg size. Here is the link.
                        It might not stream so you need to download it. I will keep it there for a couple of days.
                        www.john1701.com/sscarputer.wmv

and yes e is using an inverter cause I HAVE THE SAME INVERTER!!!!
                        The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
                        CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
                        PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
                        Memory:1G
                        Drives:160gig
                        WI-FI:Cingular
                        GPS:IG2k9
                        Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
                        The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

He also mentions a Star DC-DC PSU that is in the case. They don't actually mention anything about the inverter that is on the fenderwell.

Comment

here is a shot of the power supply he is using.
                            www.john1701.com/300ps.jpg
                            i am searching for exactly what it is.
                            oops my inverter is 350w hs is 300
                            The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
                            CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
                            PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
                            Memory:1G
                            Drives:160gig
                            WI-FI:Cingular
                            GPS:IG2k9
                            Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
                            The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Originally posted by dodgetimes2
                              I knew when I saw the show last night that it would come up in here. After seeing so many awesome carputers in this forum, I must say that I wasn't too impressed with the old Mercedes Benz or the carputer installed in it. First of all the touchscreen was friggin' huge and bulky, looked like the bezel was about 2-3" thick. Next, the guy must of had a mid to full-size atx case in his trunk. He opened the case and it looked like such a waste of space, he could have easily fit all his components into a much smaller case. Also, notice when they show the misc. stuff to the right of his trunk. He claims to have a DC-DC power supply in his case, but it sure looks like he's still running a Power Inverter (the box just below his cell phone booster box). I could go on and on. But hey, he's on TV so his carputer must be really great!!! I would have much rather seen someone off this forum on there showing what a good install looks like. The only thing that I was interested in was this guy's cell phone booster, anybody have one of these?
                              dodgetimes2

I didn't see the show but i have one of these
                              http://www.criterioncellular.com/amplifiers/index.html
                              cellular amps in my WRX working with my Erriccson T610 and I am very satisfied with it. My house is on the fringe of the T-Mobile coverage here in Maryland and I couldn't drive all the way home without dropping a call before I installed it but now it's never a problem. The guys over at Criterion Cellular were also helpfull.

Comment

Working...
                              X