I'm going broke...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going broke...

I'm prety new to this. I've wanted a computer in my car for a long time. I didn't know it was possible so I bought a sony hu with a hdd in it but it didn't cut it, not enough features and you couldn't put mp3's on the hdd. I stumbled on to this site and did a lot of reading. The next day I sold my hu to my friend for $400 (only paid $550 for it) and started buying car pc parts. I've been trying to build a quality carpc for as little as possible so I've been frequenting the classifieds here and ebay and I'm still going broke. In the past couple days I've bought a new M10000 mb, new 30gb hd , new 7" lilliput, and a laptop hdd and cd drive to ide adapters. I still need a slim dvd drive and a power supply but my bank account is dwindling so I'll have to wait for saturday after my paycheck clears the bank.

I can't wait to start building it. Anyone else going broke quickly building one of these?
    2001 Z28 Camaro
    Epia M10000, 30gb HD, Samsung DVD/CD-R/CD-RW, 7" Lilliput.

Yup, buying more stuff than I have money. But I guess I do that with everything. Hard to stop once you have started.
    Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

For me, it's an escalation of commitment. Once you start buying components you reach a point and there's no turning back. After getting a Xenarc, M10000 and DDR ram, all within a few days, I was broke but had to keep going...but it's been lots of fun.

KimaX

Comment

I rationalised.... Did I need a DVD / CD Drive? No, no really... Any CD I may want to play I just convert to CDs. $150 or so saved... Did I really need an 80Gb hard disk?? No, not really, so got a 40Gb instead. Did I need the LCD in the first few weeks??? Well, no, I could spend the first few weeks experimenting and installing software...

etc. etc...
        06 Volvo XC90
        Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
        Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

Comment

Skip the DVD drive and buy a larger hard drive!! I opted for a 160gb drive (only $99.00 new) and I can hold tons of DIVX movies on it... On a 7" VGA screen the DIVX movies look great and they can all be started with a single touch of a button vs. loading and unloading seperate DVDs all the time...
          1999 Mercedes ML430 - Epia M10000, OPUS 90w, 512mb, 160gb, Deluo GPS, SB Audigy 2 NX, 7" Lilliput TS

Comment

Isn't that the truth.

I found this site by searching for something on Google (don't even remember what), and thought, hey .. thats cool. So I put myself on a $1000 budget.

I stopped counting last month.

Yesterday UPS delivered my second Lilliput for the car.

My girlfriend wishes i never heard of MP3Car.com

I wonder if Google could be held liable for all of this?
            Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
            Syntax SV266AD KT266A
            AMD Athlon XP 2000
            Viking 256MB DDR
            D-Link Wireless 802.11B
            Seagate 120GB
            OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
            SII Wireless Audio Link
            Digimoto OBD-II
            Earthmate GPS
            BU-303 USB GPS
            D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by skippy76
              I rationalised.... Did I need a DVD / CD Drive? No, no really... Any CD I may want to play I just convert to CDs. $150 or so saved... Did I really need an 80Gb hard disk?? No, not really, so got a 40Gb instead. Did I need the LCD in the first few weeks??? Well, no, I could spend the first few weeks experimenting and installing software...

etc. etc...
              I don't rationalize, I try, but fail horribly. I figured I'd just buy one thing a week to try to find the best deals and kinda spread out my spending so it doesn't hit the wallet so hard. But after the mb purchase I saw a listing for the new 7" lilliput for $200 shipped and had to buy it. Also, I was just crusing around ebay and saw that the hd auction was ending in like 30 secs and it was only at $52 so I bid $55 thinking that I may win but probably not and when I refreshed the screen I had won it at $53. And I am eliminating my hu so a cd drive is very necessary so why not go one step further and get a dvd?
              2001 Z28 Camaro

Comment

Worst case scenario:

Buying a new car/truck/SUV for a CarPC.

Comment

i think i've got arround $1500 in the setup- mostly due to my lack of planning and constant changes. however, 750 of that was in audio, and i walk away from this with a working car computer in addition to a box of parts.
                  car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

I started accumulating parts months ago... meanwhile my truck is in the garage undergoing a motor swap... out with the 3.5L V-6... in with the 5.7L V-8... anyway, I have no business buying the carputer parts but I find myself having a sickness... I just hope that the parts play well together... M10000 MB, 256MB RAM, Slim CDRW/DVD ROM drive (replacing another NEW CDRW/DVD ROM drive), 120GB HDD, 3.5" Floppy Drive, Datalux LMV10R, 7" widescreen composite display with touch overlay, two Alpine 6.5" LCD's for rear, Parralel relay board, Audigy2 ZS Platinum sound card, Alpine MRV-F540 four channel amp, MRV-T320 two channel amp, TWO MRD-M501 amps, TWO pair Alpine 6.5" Type R components, one pair 5.25 Type R Components, TWO Type R 12" subs... that should be most of it... I'll definitely get'er done this summer... my son goes on his summer vacation June 12 to Cali to see his mom... and so I'm off for the rest of summer... time for ME!

Anyway... I'm WAY over budget! lol Someone PLEASE help me, I'm SICK!

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!
                    Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

***Too many pieces and parts to list... maybe someday I'll show'm to ya!***

Comment

Your putting a 350 into a, let's see it looks like an extera maybe? That's awsome. Good luck on it. Which engine? Tried and true old carbed 350 or maybe a lt1 or ls6? My carputer is going into my 2001 Z28, I don't think my toy truck will get a carputer though. I'm putting a 383 stroker into my 93 s10 blazer that I also did a solid axle swap into. But you never know. I don't think I'll be able to hear the music or dvd over the noise of the motor though.
                      2001 Z28 Camaro

Comment

Yeah... 350... LS1 out of a 2000 Z/28... my stock motor shot craps back around Christmas and my extended warranty company told me to talk a long walk off a short plank... stock motor... $5500 plus install= $7000... I have about $3500 into motor and trans and should be able to finish for another $1500... I have done some SERIOUS rewiring already... ALL wires in the front clip have been cut out and replaced... the other half will get COMPLETELY rewired pretty soon... the truck in question is a 2000 Isuzu Vehicross... below are my pages...

http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000

...and some pictures of my conversion process (shock factor) can be found here...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ironmanvx2000

Anyway, should be fun when done... I can't wait... gonna be AWSOME!

TTYL!

Randy!
                        Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

***Too many pieces and parts to list... maybe someday I'll show'm to ya!***

Comment

join the club guys... I started in summer, right now - still not finished. oh well, at least it's fun
                          Current Status: For Sale

Specs
                          - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
                          - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
                          - DeLorme GPS (sold)
                          - Power Inverter (sold)
                          - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by carabuser
                            join the club guys... I started in summer, right now - still not finished. oh well, at least it's fun
                            Bah - I started nearly 4 years ago... Started with a 468-100, P100, P133, and now a Via Eden 533Mhz...

Been through RS232 based controllers and LCD displays, all sorts of things...

Evolution

Comment

Originally posted by CRCinAU
                              Bah - I started nearly 4 years ago... Started with a 468-100, P100, P133, and now a Via Eden 533Mhz...

Been through RS232 based controllers and LCD displays, all sorts of things...

Evolution
                              hahaha. well, at least you have BEEN there. I'm only getting there
                              Current Status: For Sale

Specs
                              - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
                              - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
                              - DeLorme GPS (sold)
                              - Power Inverter (sold)
                              - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X