M10K / Win2k3 NIC problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M10K / Win2k3 NIC problems

Has anyone successfully installed Win2k3 on an M10k? I can't seem to get the on-board NIC to function. I've tried the Rhine II drivers included with 2k3, the drivers that came with the motherboard, and the latest drivers from VIA dated 4/2004. All are signed and install without a problem. Windows shows the card is up and running without problems but I can't get any packets through / cannot ping my gateway.

The same hardware was working fine with XP so I'm fairly certain it's not an upstream network issue. It's possible that I did something stupid but I thought I'd ask around here first before I continue to pull my hair out on it.
    2004 4runner

Only thing I can think of is that you may need to downsize ms default security settings on the network control because ms made it really 'strict'. Only thing I can think of.

BTW, how's the start up time in comparison to XP??? Been thinking about trying it myself but never got around to it yet.
    Mark

Car'Puter Project
    - Xenarc 700TSV
    - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
    - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
    - M2-ATX
    - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
    - Garmin 15H GPS
    - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Originally posted by DaRacerz
      Only thing I can think of is that you may need to downsize ms default security settings on the network control because ms made it really 'strict'. Only thing I can think of.

BTW, how's the start up time in comparison to XP??? Been thinking about trying it myself but never got around to it yet.
      Yah I thought of that too, except I've installed 2k3 several times before and never had any issues getting a network connection up and running. It's strict, but not that strict. I did install it without an admin password. I suppose it's possible that it downgraded the network at that point (even though I subsequently added a password).

I can't give any kind of real comparison yet since I didn't get past the vanilla install. As for XP, I could never get it below ~60secs from power on to music. Also, it was starting to get unstable ... to much plugging / unplugging of the USB devices creating a bazillion hardware profiles I suspect.

Unless I can get everything running reliably and quickly, I won't stick with 2k3.
      2004 4runner

Comment

Hey, I use M10k and the network card was immediately recognized and installed when I first installed Win2k3, no need for 3rd party drivers...

I find Win2k3's boot time to be better than XP's once I tweaked it out according to the guide on www.msfn.org/win2k3

As far as stability goes, it is rock solid and it works with my all of my USB devices (touchscreen, gps, audio, radio) just fine...

Also i use s3 standby mode most of the time
        CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Ok, thanks. I already started reinstalling it. I guess it must have been the blank Admin password I used during install. I know that disable file/print sharing in XP but hadn't seen it completely kill the network connections before.

@Grayscale, which audio are you using, on board?
          2004 4runner

Comment

Still no go ... da*n it! The NIC is recognized and installed but it's unable to communicate. It cannot see my DHCP server and cannot even see my gateway when configured manually. I've double checked cables, switches, firewall, everything else. The same hardware works fine when running XP.

@Grayscale, did you actually do anything over your NIC after you installed 2k3?
            2004 4runner

Comment

bump
              2004 4runner

Comment

Hmmm...I guess nobody besides Grayscale actually uses win2k3 on an M10k.
                2004 4runner

Comment

Ya, that assumption sounds right. When you check out the device manager, do ou even see the nic there??? If so, go into its properties and see what windows is complaining about. If its not there, do a force install of the hardware.
                  Mark

Car'Puter Project
                  - Xenarc 700TSV
                  - M2-ATX
                  - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                  - Garmin 15H GPS
                  - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Ya, that assumption sounds right. When you check out the device manager, do ou even see the nic there??? If so, go into its properties and see what windows is complaining about. If its not there, do a force install of the hardware.
                    Yes, the NIC is there and the driver is installed without any problems. Windows doesn't 'complain' about it in any way. Using the default configuration it doesn't see my DHCP server (and it should). I then go into the network setup and for manually set the IP, mask, gateway, and DNS servers. Even so, I'm unable to even ping the gateway. The same hardware, cables, and network configuration(s) works fine under XP. Default Win2k3 installs work fine on other machines and those same machines work fine when plugged into the same switch port/cable. I think that just about rules out everything but a driver issue for the Rhine II NIC in the m10k

I've seen a few posts on these forums where people mentioned that they use win2k3 for its improved boot times so I am hoping that someone else has encountered (and solved) this issue with the m10k.
                    2004 4runner

Comment

If your upto the point where you give up and are about to revert back to another OS, heres something out in the wild to try. This may be stupid, but when working on a couple of customer pc's with winxp, i have had situation where good hardware after a clean os install don't work, and after another clean install it works again. Its just amazing.

So ya, if you just about gave up, reformat and reinstall Win2003 from Scratch again. Could be just one of those glitches Ms is well known for and something that poped thru from winxp.
                      Mark

Car'Puter Project
                      - Xenarc 700TSV
                      - M2-ATX
                      - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                      - Garmin 15H GPS
                      - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

If your upto the point where you give up and are about to revert back to another OS, heres something out in the wild to try. This may be stupid, but when working on a couple of customer pc's with winxp, i have had situation where good hardware after a clean os install don't work, and after another clean install it works again. Its just amazing.

So ya, if you just about gave up, reformat and reinstall Win2003 from Scratch again. Could be just one of those glitches Ms is well known for and something that poped thru from winxp.
                        Except I already did a clean format and install twice (see post #5 in this thread).
                        2004 4runner

Comment

woops, missed that. outta idea's now, sorry man, specially since I am running on different hardware.
                          Mark

Car'Puter Project
                          - Xenarc 700TSV
                          - M2-ATX
                          - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                          - Garmin 15H GPS
                          - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

woops, missed that. outta idea's now, sorry man, specially since I am running on different hardware.
                            N/P, thanks for trying to help out. I guess I'll just proceed without the internal NIC ... don't really need it in the car anyhow.
                            2004 4runner

Comment

Hey Rando
                              My desktop PC is a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ on a MSI mobo with VIA network chipset (Gbit).
                              I installed Win XP 64 bit edition the other day and after installing the 64 bit drivers for the NIC I experienced the same problem with you. Even though the NIC was detected fine it would not communicate no matter what I did. I then went to the device manager --> VIA NIC properties --> Advanced --> Link Speed/Duplex mode and changed the value from Auto negotiation to 100Mbit/Full duplex and what do you know....it WORKS!!!
                              Seems like it could not auto negotiate for some reason...go figure!
                              Anyway hope this helps

See ya

Comment

Working...
                              X