No announcement yet.

Camera Idea I have for avoiding cops...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Idea I have for avoiding cops...

I don't know about you guys but I pretty much have CopVision. If a Crown Vic, a car with a roof rack(mistaken to be a cops roof lights), etc. are around me, I know it. I'm always searching to see if they are there.

When I am driving on the highway/other, I always see what I think is a cop from afar. Then I have to wait until I am close enough to determine if it is a cop.

Recently I thought, "I need to have some binoculars" to look down the road with to know sooner if it is a cop. So that idea breeded into the idea of having a tiny dash-mounted camera or a camera mounted inconspicuously on the front of my car.

It would have to be a camera with a zoom feature & a zoom feature that would prove useful(zooming far enough/helping me see cops sooner).

It would be neat if the angle(Up & Down, Left & Right) could be controlled by buttons on the Touchscreen LCD of the Carputer. Just an idea I had. Sounds expensive to me but I'm sure it can be done.

What do you guys think of my idea(s)?

there are a few ptz (point tilt zoom) web cams around controllede by usb

IBM makes a neat one

but think of it this way

how would you control it while driving ?

you would need some auto hold software to keep the camera focused on the cop and it would need to cope with the changing suspension on your car, terrain etc, 1 helluva job just go get a maginified rear view mirror
    Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

I want visual recognition stuff like they talk about in the airports, only for cop cars. I'm still trying to install the cam inside the rear view mirror.
      Attached Files

Comment

Florence Y'all
        ... sorry, couldn't resist

Comment

LOL Yup! Just about the only thing most people remember about this place. The local historians say that was originally Florence Mall, but they had a disagreement and being lazy they just painted over the sides of the M making it a Y.

Comment

HAHA My grandfather lives there, down off Zig Zag Rd.

I have tried using my camera zoomed in, but driving down the road with even the slightest bumps, the camera goes all over the place, too much to understand the picture.

Comment

While you are zoomed in trying to see if that is indeed a cop down the road (staring at your screen) another cop comes from behind and ..........
              You get the idea.
              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

actually, i was thinking a step FURTHER on this for nighttime driving and place a nightvision scope in front of a gutted video camera. video cameras can handle the picture a bit better, esp if they have the stablization feature.
                "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

intersting thread, although I have no further input
                  Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Originally posted by falconey
                    intersting thread, although I have no further input
                    Wow, thanks for the great post!
                    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity
                      I want visual recognition stuff like they talk about in the airports, only for cop cars. I'm still trying to install the cam inside the rear view mirror.
                      The state of the art in vision technology is at least a couple of decades off from having this capability, the best you could do is maybe recognize all cars of a certain color, but to distinguish a certain make, model, and then whether it is an undercover police car is well above and beyond what vision recognition to do espcially police cars that humans have a hard time determining as police cars. And that facial recognition in airports is WAY more talk then a practical reality.
                      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

fuzz buster, anyone?
                        My Mazda 3s

My Mazda 3s on Car Domain

[||||||||||||||||||--] (90%)

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
                          The state of the art in vision technology is at least a couple of decades off from having this capability, the best you could do is maybe recognize all cars of a certain color, but to distinguish a certain make, model
                          I forget what its called... the DoD is playing with air-bourne lazers to identify aircraft model (and thus country of orogine) Apparently it will have a ridiculous range (limitless as long as its line-of-sight)

I have a QuickCam Orbit that has pan/tilt and zoom.... and a 1.3 megapixel CCD. It would be good for being behind a cop on the highway trying to see if that really is a cop way up there. The software that comes with it includes a face-tracking mode (for video confrencing) that could be adopted, as well as an intuitive control panel that SHOULD be adopted for touch screen:
                          Attached Files
                          ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

This is a great idea. I've got a lot of cops around my area now that have laser and I've avoided so far by seeing them before they saw me and slowing down but they're getting better with range. If I could see down the road some distance I would just be money. Great idea and kudos to anyone who gets it working.

Comment

around me cops drive crown vics, imapalas, explorers, cameros, and im pretty sure there was a contour. im sure there are more... (yes all these cars are unmarked)
                              rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

Working...
                              X