How to handle dealership/serviceman/mechanic/repairshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle dealership/serviceman/mechanic/repairshop

The cruise control in my car keeps cutting off. I'm thinking it's the vacuum mechanism. I will probably try to fix it myself, but I was thinking. . . What do most people with carpc's and/or a nice sound system do when they have to take their car to the dealer or to a mechanic?

Does it bother you to leave your car with someone that you hardly know? Just think about when Cameron left his dad's Ferrari with those dudes in the parking garage in Ferris Bueller's Day Off

I feel like vomiting when I take my car to the dealer. There is one garage in town that is owned by an older VW mechanic. I have all the confidence in the guy because I have been taking my VWs there for the past 7 years and have had absolutely no complaints. I need to take my new car to the dealer for warranty service. And as I mentioned before I feel like vomiting every time I do this. And all this for a good reason. I am usually stalking the mechanic and try to hang around while the job is done. If thats not possible I make sure that I tell them not to touch whatever they are not supposed to touch. Needles to say I am very anal about my cars and car care in general.

Migrane
    ... you don't need eyes to see ... you need vision !!!

Comment

Well, as a tech first off I usually grab all yor cd's and rip them to MP3 so i am far too busy to look at/play with/steal your stuff

No really...we do that.

Seriously.
      2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

my fav movie man i love that car "the 1965 ferrari 250 california" the best shot is the one when they hit the ground a few more frames past the last photo you have when the trunk bounces!!!

chad

Comment

I feel like vomiting when I take my car to the dealer. There is one garage in town that is owned by an older VW mechanic. I have all the confidence in the guy because I have been taking my VWs there for the past 7 years and have had absolutely no complaints. I need to take my new car to the dealer for warranty service. And as I mentioned before I feel like vomiting every time I do this. And all this for a good reason. I am usually stalking the mechanic and try to hang around while the job is done. If thats not possible I make sure that I tell them not to touch whatever they are not supposed to touch. Needles to say I am very anal about my cars and car care in general.

Migrane

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
          Well, as a tech first off I usually grab all yor cd's and rip them to MP3 so i am far too busy to look at/play with/steal your stuff

No really...we do that.

Seriously.
          Sweet! I probably would too. I know my cousin does. lol

Comment

No really...we do that.

Seriously.
            Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

last time I went to the dealer, they spent mreo time questioning me about my carputer than they actually spent fixing my car. For the most part I try to do everything myself, but for the major stuff I just go to the dealer and complain till its fixed.
              Computer:
              COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
              STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

Comment

I hate going to the dealer. wanted a jack for my car because it didn't come with one. After hours of trying to expain they basically tell me to go home or pay $198 for a new one. I know that I can get a jack for $5 but its the principal that the car didn't come with one.
                Any yes, I would feel uncomftorbal with leaving my system with them.
                CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

My dad's a mechanic, and this is what he's got up in his workshop: (figures might not be exact, am doing it from memory, not been there for a few weeks)

Hourly Charges
                  Leaving your car: 25
                  Staying and watching: 30
                  Staying and helping: 50
                  Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                  www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
                    Hourly Charges
                    Leaving your car: 25
                    Staying and watching: 30
                    Staying and helping: 50
                    That is great. But what if some one leaves there car, and he doesn't get a chance to work on it, is it going to cost them for that time??
                    CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                    Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Owenjh, it's a joke. Read it again.

Why do y'all freak out so much about taking your car to a repairman? The vast majority of these guys are honest. Even if they were so inclined, it would be against their best interest to cheat you because they have no way of knowing who is and is not mechanically in-the-know.

The reason people are so worked up about mechanics, I think, is because the mechanic is doing something they don't understand, and it's human nature to assume the worst when you don't understand something.

Drop off your car, take a valium, and meditate or something. You'll live longer.
                      Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                      http://hallert.net/

Comment

Last time I dropped my camry off at the dealer, they ran it into a pole and put a ncie big dent in the front bumper, and broke my sunroof(while trying to fix sunroof, they also scrathed up the roof of my car). Also someone I know went for an oil change and they did everything beautifully but they forgot one thing. To put oil back into the car. I know they can be trusted. But after my experiences, I would rather not ever deal with them again.
                        Computer:
                        COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
                        STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

Comment

Lucky Focker!

No really...we do that.

Seriously.
                          Stop Buying New Music CD's.
                          Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Last time I dropped my camry off at the dealer, they ran it into a pole and put a ncie big dent in the front bumper, and broke my sunroof(while trying to fix sunroof, they also scrathed up the roof of my car). Also someone I know went for an oil change and they did everything beautifully but they forgot one thing. To put oil back into the car. I know they can be trusted. But after my experiences, I would rather not ever deal with them again.
                            Hope you called Toyota about that. Sounds to me like it's time to find another dealer. Local Toyota Dealer here is full of crooks so instead of taking my Tacoma to them I now drive 45 minutes to Albany to get it fixed. Definitely worth the drive to know it'll be fixed right the first time and that they won't overcharge me. Last time I let the local dealer work on my truck they tried to charge me $900 for a timing belt replacement because THEY broke a tooth on the crank pulley. Needless to say Toyota has been notified by several people about their shady practices.

Comment

Dealer? Shop? They give me the creapies and am only 20, lol.

Don't know about you guys, but the bad experience REALLY outweight the good experiences. So now I just hound their every move on my car, least they do it right now!

First, don't truth the scumbags at tranny shops. Instead of fixing my tranny they made it 10 times worse so I had someone else do it. Dealer rips you off. And car shops? I don't know about them with carputers. Last time I had a friend go into a shop with a booming stereosystem, one of the guys was found guilty of stealing the kids car a week later from the kids driveway. Security eh? If you can do a repair yourself, my recommendation is to do it yourself and only hire those you know well if possible.
                              Mark

Car'Puter Project
                              - Xenarc 700TSV
                              - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
                              - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
                              - M2-ATX
                              - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                              - Garmin 15H GPS
                              - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Working...
                              X