Wireless traffic display system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless traffic display system

This guy claims he is getting realtime traffic info from the Washington Department of Transportation. is this the DAB thing you guys keep talking about, or is it something else?

http://www.maokhian.com/l300/computer/
    Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
    Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
    S2000 Carputer

intersting....

Comment

Bump...
      Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
      S2000 Carputer

Comment

bump...
        S2000 Carputer

Comment

DAB is UK digital radio. I'm not sure if DAB could extend to this sort of thing though
          In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")
          Bunny's first poo
          __ U

Comment

Could do. but why is DAB in the US?
            CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

It's obviously data that's available online. Why else have a constant internet connection, when he's only using the carputer for traffic data? It's just a matter of where he's d/l'ing the data from, and what program to display it.

Kris
              How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

do they offer something like this for the NY area?

Ive seen something similar for cali.

Comment

why hasn't anyone else thought of this, and how can we take advantage of it?
                  S2000 Carputer

Comment

One of the UK guys here (can't remember his name, but he's really clever!) is doing this. It's a one touch proggy that retrieves pages off the internet. ****, gotto go - got lightning here. Don't wanna blow out my modem again
                    In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(")
                    Bunny's first poo
                    __ U

Comment

umm, if u have a wifi adaptor .. and u can connect to the internet... u could go to http://www.traffic.com

thats my only suggestion... of course u need a wifi connection and u have to have a web browser open... but hey.. maybe be4 u get out of your driveway, you could just check out the roads you are driving on...
                      AT mobo
                      Intel Pentium MMX 233mhz
                      ESS Solo PCI soundcard
                      Linksys NIC
                      Irman

Comment

This looks very interesting especially for those of us connecting to the interenet via cell phone. I wonder how to get a hold of the site he dl's the info from.
                        Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Originally posted by toadster123
                          umm, if u have a wifi adaptor .. and u can connect to the internet... u could go to http://www.traffic.com

thats my only suggestion... of course u need a wifi connection and u have to have a web browser open... but hey.. maybe be4 u get out of your driveway, you could just check out the roads you are driving on...
                          Man how is Atlanta not on their list of cities?
                          Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Originally posted by falconey
                            This looks very interesting especially for those of us connecting to the interenet via cell phone. I wonder how to get a hold of the site he dl's the info from.
                            You said it man, gotta love the cell phones!!!
                            S2000 Carputer

Comment

If you are in the Denver area, I might suggest a few websites (load them in tabs under mozilla firefox)

Real time traffic speeds from CDOT sensors:

If you want pictures of traffic rather than just what speed (MPH) as shown above, you can do that too.

http://www.denvergov.org/TRAFFIC/

(This is close to where the Colorado Rockies baseball team plays)

Again, I would suggest auto loading tabs that load up pictures in the backgound so you don't have to sit and wait for them to refresh at slow modem speeds. If you have a normal route - set those cameras up in your bookmarks.

Let's see a factory navigation system do THAT!!!

Access can be via your cell phone provider or most of Denver is served by Ricohet wireless high speed internet, so you could put one of those modems in your car and have pretty good high speed access while driving around.
                              I am a newbie trying to outfit a couple cars with new custom consoles and mini ITX. Click here for my 2003 Chevy Avalanche project.

Comment

Working...
                              X