Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You GOTTA check this out. RC Helicam > Carputer!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You GOTTA check this out. RC Helicam > Carputer!

Although these files are rather large, they are definately worth the download. The two to check out are the capturex files.. The helicopter itself can be seen at this address.. These pictures are from the day I fitted the camera to the helo. IT's a 2.4GHz wireless camera and the reciever base was plugged into my Intel USB camera's aux. input and recorded by the PC. The files were originally 180MB .avi, so be thankful they aren't that big anymore.

Here's the chopper: http://ashleypowers.com/Image%20Gall...2-01/index.htm

And here's the link to the videos: http://ashleypowers.com/Videos/

Eat your heart out! LOL
    Two "Carputer" vechicles:
    1991 Nissan 300ZX-TwinTurbo; 500+RWHP
    1990 Mazda B2200 Pickup; >80RWHP ;-)

http://ashleypowers.com

I have decided that you have WAY too much money to burn. I need a scholarship (wink, wink--nudge, nudge--hint, hint)
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Yeah, stop showing off please...
      please!!!
      PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
      PLEASE COULD I PLEASE HAVE SOME OF YOUR MONEY!!! PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

Sorry dude, just thought I'd share it...

If you want to get choked up about money, dont look at me man.. I'm no Bill Gates here..

Comment

Ashley,
          How far will that Camera go?
          Me and a friend are considering settting up a 802.11b network with some yagi antennas,
          but we have a very crappy line of sight.
          He's about a 1/3 mile away.
          And I saw that camera had the same frequency range.
          Whats you take on that?
          Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
          Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
          In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Comment

Pay no attention to SkinnyBoy, Ash.
            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
            I'M DEBT FREE!!
            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

I remember doing something like that few years ago with a RC car, but all I did is stick on a Sony Handycam with duct tape. The video was hilarious though, especially when viewed in fast forward...
              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Setting up an 802.11b wireless network over 500meters (illegally of course) can be annoying. I live the side of a mountain and have high buildings to get in my way. So, I went out and bought ****LOADS of antennas. I have 1 Yagi directional antenna covering the 4 main cardinal directions and then use omni-directional To fill in the gaps. Inbetween the WAP11 (Wireless Access Point) in my garage and the tower in my back yard I use a 2 watt amp so I get a total of 2-3 amps. Anyway, when I carry aroud my laptop, I have small omni that I hook up. I can usually get about 7 miles away before I start going under 1mbps. Also, how high really effects the signal I get. Even though I'm on the side of a mountain with a 20 foot tower, its tempting to take my antennas down for a day and install another 10 foot section. Whatever, wireless is fun. =3

--Ashlawn Kemling
                P.S. Taping old cameras to old RC cars and then driving them off cliffs is interesting to watch.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Ashlawn Kemling ]

Comment

Actually, it is perfectly legal to set up long range 802.11b. Several of the other companies we work with sell equipment to do so. Basically, you need a good (usually Lucent w/Oronico cards) access point, and some directional connections. Usually limited to line of site though. I've never tried it myself because I don't have the need, but such a setup is fairly common around here.
                  Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                  Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                  "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Hey I have an idea for the helicopter. Drive down the street and have the helicopter chase after you! That would be really funny but cool at the same time. More cool than funny tho. ;-)
                    That is, of course, unless you are chicken?
                    Free entrance to heaven? WOW! I DUN BELIEVE! JC!

Comment

Been there, done that. But rather than the helicopter chasing us, I sat in the passenger seat of the Z and flew it while my friend drove. We had the helicopter up to right at 52MPH at WOT and full pitch. I recorded the video, but dumbass me overwrote the filename as the video capture software starts a file by default with the name of "capture.avi". Whizzing by oncoming traffic with the helicopter 30ft out in front of us 8 feet off the deck was truly amazing. I flew it for 4 miles down a straight backroad and only burned 1/2 tank of fuel, and that was at wide open throttle (WOT). I wish I had the video, but it was getting dark that day and the video was pretty crappy anyway. I'll probably reshoot that sequence again though one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashlawn Kemling:
                        [QB]Setting up an 802.11b wireless network over 500meters (illegally of course) can be annoying. I live the side of a mountain and have high buildings to get in my way. So, I went out and bought ****LOADS of antennas. I have 1 Yagi directional antenna covering the 4 main cardinal directions and then use omni-directional To fill in the gaps. Inbetween the WAP11 (Wireless Access Point) in my garage and the tower in my back yard I use a 2 watt amp so I get a total of 2-3 amps. Anyway, when I carry aroud my laptop, I have small omni that I hook up. I can usually get about 7 miles away before I start going under 1mbps. Also, how high really effects the signal I get. Even though I'm on the side of a mountain with a 20 foot tower, its tempting to take my antennas down for a day and install another 10 foot section. Whatever, wireless is fun. =3
                        QB]
                        so u just go around sticking your atteners whereverr u see fit ? sounds like a very expensive and somethign that needs alot of planning.

hey if other ppl got wireless stuff up, with networking setup right, would u bbl to connect to their comps without them knowing? (i mean they could prob find out later.)

Comment

Originally posted by PaulzY:
                          <STRONG>\hey if other ppl got wireless stuff up, with networking setup right, would u bbl to connect to their comps without them knowing? (i mean they could prob find out later.)</STRONG>
                          If wireless is set up incorrectly (ie. default SSID and no encryption) then it is VERY insecure.

Comment

AARON! Check ya email dood! I'm interested in learning more about how you set up this long-range connectivity! PLEASE SHARE!

Comment

Well, I happen to be an ISP, and doing some wireless for my customers. Using the DSSS setup (802.11b) you can go about 9 miles at around 5 or 11mbps. The key is getting the right antennas. For me, generally, I'll have a 9dbi omni at the access point (you can use a $100 SMC or Linksys AP (both are the same inside, BTW), and grab some antennas from www.superpass.com. Best bet for the "other end" would be a lucent PCMCIA card and a USB adapter. This has been the choice setup for many ISPs getting into wireless.

Also, more on the expensive side, but a hell of alot more reliable is the FHSS solutions, such as raylink or breezecom. These use frequency hopping spread spectrum, and handle noise QUITE well. normally, with the 802.11b systems, if someone has one of those silly 2.4ghz cordless phones, it'll interfear with your network. Not so with the FHSS stuff.
                              Also, 2.4Ghz is LEGAL in the US, as long as your output is under 1watt I believe. (We usually use 100mw, works fine, with the right antennas of course).

As for the heli-cam, heres an info site: http://www.rc-cam.com/
                              Ash, did you use this site for info or what? Nice design, he ditched the cheapo X10 CMOS camera, and used a nice sony CCD unit, with the x10 xmitter. Also, looks like he gets better range than you do. Also, I like hearing the R/C engine and environment sounds.. =)

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: JoeShmo ]

Comment

Working...
                              X