Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible fm solution staring me in the face....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible fm solution staring me in the face....

So I am playing around with my new toy (someone elses old toy, bought it used a few months ago and just dragged it out..) it is a NewQ Platinum and it is a pretty nifty looking piece It has a neat blingy display and it is supposed to support 4 channel. It operates downstream from your sound card, not in place of it. It also has a FM radio built in, with a 30 channel preset. Also has a remote Here is a link to a guy selling external ones (mine is an internal) for $50.
    Attached Files
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Haven't seen anyone using one of those in a car, but it doesn't look too hard to convert something like that to a standard DIN slot.
    4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

BTW, not directly related, but maybe of use , found This use of a NewQ internal without a PC, but with a CDrom for CD audio.

Would maybe make a nice simple radio/CD/MP3 player VFD based CarPC rather than a full on Multimedia one.
      4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Yea, see, i love my Frodoplayer and all, but having a easy FM solution running would be nice. Then, once the system is up (wow, 30 whole seconds later) the pc is available for use. Its a great little unit, I have been playing with it a lot and I think it will streamline things a bit.
        2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

That looks cool but i will wait for what Seth's and Rando's Project yeilds. I would don't have room for another unit and the master plan envolves everything being controled via touchscreen in 1 nice clean interface.

BTW i guess the only question is how does the reception compare to a head unit? How does it compare to the USB radios that are out (Radio Xtreme, Haphougge, D-link).

Good find anyhow
          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Ideally Seth and Rando's solution would be best I agree. The whole touchscreen interface would work the best.
            And it seems the NewQ is like hen's teeth in the UK, and it would take up a slot, so a motorised screen or manual popout would be required unless I can remove the cup holders and get a good fit for both.

Looking at some of the sites for the NewQ reviews, it looks to use a standard car radio arial on the back, but the backplane connector uses a Coax domestic FM antenna connector and converts it to player unit.

An other option might be the Gigabyte M1600A that also includes a DVD rom and slot mounted daughterboard, but that uses tray instead slot loading which might be an annoyance. Also, these hardware radio/players tend to not support the non-standard UK radio frequency steppings.
            4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Originally posted by Skraggy_uk
              Haven't seen anyone using one of those in a car, but it doesn't look too hard to convert something like that to a standard DIN slot.
              http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthre...highlight=newq
              [H]4 Life
              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Yeah, a quick search after I posted found that thread.

They really do seem to rare to find in the UK though.
                4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

Working...
                X