Common Auto Voltages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Auto Voltages

I'm working on a new startup controller.

Can someone suggest common car voltages? I mean, if I were to play with my car and a multimeter, what would I find? Obviously 12v, but interior lights, horn, alarm/security systems, stereo equipment (stock) are there any other common voltages found in cars?
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Engine on - 14.4 Volts
    Engine off - 12 Volts
    Engine starting - 7-12 Volts
    Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
    Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
    sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Originally posted by lgbr
      Engine on - 14.4 Volts
      Engine off - 12 Volts
      Engine starting - 7-12 Volts
      Yup.
      Zen Fat Loss

Comment

Interior lights? Alarms?
        ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

Interior lights, alarms, hell even a starter are built to handle a range from 9 to 16 or so volts
          Nate
          I know what yer thinkin...did he fire six shots or only five...

Comment

I don't know of cars requiring any regulated voltage anywhere, so I guess around the whole car you'll find the same voltage as at the battery.

However, there is probably a resistor or something on the headlights/turn signals.
            Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
            Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
            sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

There are some devices that use six volts. Many of the ranges that the engine computer reads (engine sensors) go at a zero to five volt range. Some hall effect sensors go zero to seven. The basic stuff runs pretty much 12 volts, but if you're looking into sensors and ECM controlled devices, the voltages may vary.

I know sometimes windshield wipers use 6v for low and 12v for hi. The fan blower has resistance for different fan speeds. Obviously spark has a boatload of voltage. I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of.
              Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

The regulator in the alternator is set at 14.4v. I had a customer that had a faulty regulator, which fed over 18 volts into his whole electrical system. He had to replace almost every bulb in the truck, as well as half the electronics.

And for nitpicking sake, car batteries usually have six plates, at 2.1v per plate, making for 12.6v at a full charge. You can see the six plates in an Optima "Six-pack" battery.

Cheers,

Kris
                How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

Working...
                X