This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Use MSCONFIG - Use This!

I know I'm a newb here, but I see msconfig recommended a lot to change how your system starts up. To the best of my knowledge, msconfig is not meant for this. It's meant for testing purposes only and actual changes are supposed to be made through the registry manually.

That said, there is a solution. Go to this link (Nirsoft) and download StartupRun from the utilities section. IMHO, it works better than msconfig anyways. Best thing about it is it requires no installation.

Nirsoft also has a plethora of other useful programs. Check em out!

(EDIT) Try their program MyUninstaller. I use it instead of Add/Remove Programs, it's also an excellent program that requires no install.

Are you their advertising whore?

Comment

Wow, thanks for that. Really what someone wants to hear when they are trying to become a useful part of a new community.

I saw Nirsoft on TechTV if you must know. I really do believe they make a good product. I have no affiliation with them at all. Why don't you give em a try before making a comment like that.

Comment

Everyone:

You may be thinking that this is spam, but he's right. Msconfig may appear to be an indispensible utility for managing the programs that start with Windows, and it may actually do just that, but trust me, all is not as it seems or is.

Comment

Moreover, StartupRun is a good program. And can cut my startup time by 5 seconds
          ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

no he doesn't look like a spammer.. looks like a valid post to me. He is the guy that did the 3d skin
            '98 Explorer Sport
            http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
            AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
            80% done

Comment

Sorry, but generally when someone with a very low postcount who has only just joined (ie Sep 2004) a forum starts promoting programs, it is (more often than not) someone who has signed up to the forums purely to spam the product.

I'll have to check this out.

Garry
              Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
              www.aimee.cc

Comment

Not only what confused said, but your reason not to use msconfig: "It's meant for testing purposes only and actual changes are supposed to be made through the registry manually" is utterly illogical. Nevermind the fact that it's completely false. And then you tell us to use this other program because it is "better."

I'd wager a guess that you're prone to buying from home shopping channels.

Comment

Trust me, I'm not a spammer. In retrospect, my post did seem a little like an ad. But it doesn't make sense for me to be promoting them in that way. All their programs are free.

If you don't believe they are good programs, look at the awards page. Awards

Comment

I find the need to point out that most spammers dont stick around long enough to defend themselves.

MSCONFIG misses some programs.
                    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Xaeon, welcome to the boards. We're really not mean people, just hate spammers like everyone. Thanks for the info. Being someone who doesn't know about this stuff, I'm very interested.
                      --------
                      mykolJay
                      99 Accord coupe
                      http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                      My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

Yes, this is spam. You can tell by the fact that the product he links to costs absolutely nothing. Moreover the website has no pop ups and no banners anywhere. Why its doesn't even have a pay pal link to donate money.

Oh wait... that's not spam... its actually what this whole message board was intended for.

Even if this guy was spamming for software that he made, he's still doing us a favor because A) it fills a need we have and B) it doesn't cost anything. Do we attack frodo when he tells us he made a new version of frodo player?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam432823
                          Do we attack frodo when he tells us he made a new version of frodo player?

Only when he tells us he has a new version, but doesn't release it

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
                            Only when he tells us he has a new version, but doesn't release it
                            Let the attacks begin!
                            ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

I don't remember exactly what it tells you when using msconfig because I'm on a windows 2000 machine right now, but I know it doesnt permanently change your startup when using it. It creates more of a temporary profile that allows you to test changes before making the changes in such a way that they cannot be (easily) reversed.

I really am not a spammer for them. I can recommend other good programs for all sorts of different administrative functions when I get back to my own machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X