Why is Disabling DVD Lockout Illegal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Disabling DVD Lockout Illegal?

*Note, I'm not talking about the driver watching a movie, but rather the passengers.

Hi all. I recently posted a few threads asking how to disable the DVD lockout on a Caddy CTS while the car is in drive, and they were locked. I was later informed (to my surprise) that disabling this was an illegal activity. Obviously it's not smart to watch DVD's as the driver, but it sure would make family trips a lot more fun if the others could watch a movie.

Now I'm well aware that a lot of us modify our cars to a more illegal degree than the factory can get away with, so I understand why this seems to not apply in the aftermarket.

Nonetheless, the car still has navigation, radio, etc to mess with and look at while you're driving. I always assumed the DVD lockout was to cover legal liability for GM, but not illegal for us to alter. God knows many of us can watch DVD's in our custom setups.

So what exactly does the law state in regards to this.
    - That you can't have DVD's played from a front seat position in drive?
    - Nothing?
    - That you cannot alter a factory lockout, but aftermarket vendors don't need to comply with this?
    - Does the law only apply to DVD's? So would checking e-mail at 80mph be legal?

*I'm not asking how to disable the lockout, I'm asking to clarify what seems to be a rather fuzzy law.

it is illegal by federal law for any full motion video be within the drivers view

Comment

Originally posted by BQuicksilver
      Hi all. I recently posted a few threads asking how to disable the DVD lockout on a Caddy CTS while the car is in drive, and they were locked. I was later informed (to my surprise) that disabling this was an illegal activity.

Now I'm well aware that a lot of us modify our cars to a more illegal degree than the factory can get away with, so I understand why this seems to not apply in the aftermarket.

Nonetheless, the car still has navigation, radio, etc to mess with and look at while you're driving. I always assumed the DVD lockout was to cover legal liability for GM, but not illegal for us to alter. God knows many of us can watch DVD's in our custom setups.

So what exactly does the law state in regards to this.
      - That you can't have DVD's played from a front seat position in drive?
      - Nothing?
      - That you cannot alter a factory lockout, but aftermarket vendors don't need to comply with this?
      - Does the law only apply to DVD's? So would checking e-mail at 80mph be legal?

*I'm not asking how to disable the lockout, I'm asking to clarify what seems to be a rather fuzzy law.

There is no place, that I know of, that allows DVD to be visible to the
      driver while the vehicle is in motion.

Most aftermarket vendors and installers that install in the front do have
      some sort of lockout.

Many places prohibit the use of "business" applications such as e-mail
      from being used while driving.

Mostly what is safe is music control/car control/climate control/gps.
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

Moving pictures in the view of the driver is illegal.

Comment

And I'm sorry you didn't agree with your ThreadS being locked,
          but a simple search would have led you to your answers as well as using
          a little common sense. The lockout was on there for a reason...(use your
          brain)

Frodo
          [H]4 Life
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
            And I'm sorry you didn't agree with your ThreadS being locked,
            but a simple search would have led you to your answers as well as using
            a little common sense. The lockout was on there for a reason...(use your
            brain)

Frodo
            Read closer, I don't mind the threads being locked, I just was fully unaware this was illegal. How many SUV's/day do you see with 3 video monitors playing as they cruise along? And I'm familiar enough with forum etiqette to search before asking.

The insults are pretty uncalled for IMHO.

Let's stay on topic, Frodo. I'd prefer discussing the legal question.

Comment

[H]4 Life
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                Constructive.

Okay, now that Frodo feels better...

Now I've heard that it's state specific "Depends on the state" per PM from a slightly irritable moderator.

And we have a comment that this is a federal law above.

And does anyone know if the law is more specific than "moving image"?

Comment

Originally posted by BQuicksilver
                  Now I've heard that it's state specific "Depends on the state" per PM from a slightly irritable moderator.

And we have a comment that this is a federal law above.

And does anyone know if the law is more specific than "moving image"?
                  Have you considered contacting your state or local law enforcement to get the answer? Perhaps even a lawyer familiar with the laws where you are.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Let's say this... if I see you driving down the highway I'm on, watching a movie, I'm finding the heaviest object I won't miss and throwing it out of the window at you... How stupid is it to watch tv while driving... Now, if you have a passenger that is watching a movie, that is a little different... but I'd still have to say it would be dangerous becuase the driver would still be glancing over at the screen... It'd be too hard not to.

Comment

http://www.itsa.org/resources.nsf/Files/AB%20301-chaptered/$file/AB%20301-chaptered.pdf

i'm gona change my nic to GewglGawd
                      •Micke

Comment

All manufacturers lock it just to cover their a$$ in case you watch movie and rear end some body. If you alter it, well that is your problem.
                        After market manufacturers and installer did install the lockout via hand brake for the DVD function to work. You can't watch DVD without the hand brake engage. Some end user disable that functions simply don't connect it to the hand brake signal (by grounding the input). I may get in trouble by showing how to disable it but if you do it, that your OWN FREAKING PROBLEMS.
                        To comply with the law, the Frodo the 9 finger monkey, rando, others, and including me are trying to come up with a serial port solution that disable everything but music and GPS when the hand brake is not engage. This way, we can show the judge/cops that we are trying to comply with the law in some way.
                        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

If I want to watch a movie while I'm driving, thats my perrogative. I don't want you (the manufacturer) to limit my ability to use technology that I have bought. Thats why it's better to do everything yourself, I.E. after-market modifications.
                          Quick! To the Popemobile!

Comment

Thats one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.

I bought an AR-15, so why can't I go shooting it around my neighborhood? I don't want to shoot anyone. I just want to shoot it. And why the hell is it only semi-auto when it could easily be converted to automatic? DAMN the government for restricting my technology......... DAMN THEM TO HELL........................

The manufacturer is not limiting your ability to use technology that you bought. You bought a system that will not play movies while the vehicle is in motion. Altering this will be altering that technology.

BTW: You will never be allowed to lawfully watch a movie while driving. It is stupid and dangerous to do so.

Comment

Law varies state to state; I doubt there's a federal law on it, and if so I'd like to see it.

Although it varies state to state because they're state laws, most of the state laws are pretty similar in so much as they prohibit 'broadcast or FMV display in view of the driver'. Many laws also include the 'business applications' clause. Those SUVs with three screens are okay, so long as they're not in the driver's FOV.
                              95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
                              ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Working...
                              X