Can someone double check my Opus wiring please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone double check my Opus wiring please

It's on the kitchen table connected to a fully charged car battery.

Positive to positive.
    Negative to negative.
    2 pin power wire connected from Opus to MII

I splice the ACC-ON wire to 12v positive, nothing happens. I don't see a green LED lit up either. I can't even find it on the Opus, it's definitely not lit up though. Fuse is not blown.

I have a meter thing from Radioshack, but silly me... I don't know how to use it to see if the Opus is getting power.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/seanklsc

Step 1:

Connect the black wire from the radio shack "meter thingy" to the negative pole of the battery

Connect the red wire from the radio shack "meter thingy" to the +12v pole on the battery.

Turn on and set the meter for "DC volts" (on mine it's DC v with a line and dotted line beneath it).

You should read 14.4 or something similar.

What does it say your battery voltage is?
    DashPC - The Linux Car (since 1999).

Dash LCD, Via Epia, GPS, XM, OBDII, DSSC Shutdown Controller.

As seen in the book Geek My Ride

Comment

Also, try reversing the two wire connector that's hooked to the power lead on your motherboard. It's actually polarily dependant, and exhibits the exact symptoms you listed.

I know, it sounds dumb, but it's real.
      Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
      http://hallert.net/

Comment

I hate when I do stupid ****. I feel like deleting this thread. Maybe it could help someone in the future.

The pos and neg wires were like 100 guage (I'm exaggerating) I just read the opus specs (requires at least 12 gauge) so I used some spare car audio wires, and it booted right up. Now I can't get it to shut down!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
          Also, try reversing the two wire connector that's hooked to the power lead on your motherboard. It's actually polarily dependant, and exhibits the exact symptoms you listed.

I know, it sounds dumb, but it's real.
          was just about to suggest that when i looked at the opus wiring diagram. I always get that the wrong way round when i build PCs. Guess i should properly!

Comment

Now I can't get it to boot up again, but at least I have the LEDs to look at. 2 flashes. I have no idea why. I disconnected the cable to the battery to make everyhting shut down, I couldn't do it from the computer itself. When I removed the ign wire the opus stayed powered. It was set to 20 minutes, I ain't waiting.

Before I shut it down I reset the CMOS settings to defaults. After I shut it down I connected 2 IDE devices and removed the pin that makes it stay on for 20 minutes. I power it up, the keyboard lights flash, then it shuts down and the Opus gives me 2 flashes.

W T F.

Comment

2 flashes:

The computer power up sequence failed.
              Reasons:
              1. Check wiring to 2 wire pwr-on switch. CHECKED.
              2. Check ATX motherboard BIOS settings. CAN'T SEE THEM.
              3. Locked up motherboard or software crash of bug. MAYBE? HOW DO I FIX IT?
              4. Faulty DC-DC PSU. NOT GONNA LIVE WITH THIS ONE.

Comment

try removing any peripherals you have connected to the mobo. I had a problem w/ the opus when the HD wasn't hooked up properly.
                Stealth OEM spyder
                1204 dot net!

Comment

Did you flash the bios
                  PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by silencery
                    try removing any peripherals you have connected to the mobo. I had a problem w/ the opus when the HD wasn't hooked up properly.
                    I have removed all devices, and put the jumpers back, so everything should work the way it did originally.. but it's not. I fear it's the changes I made to the BIOS.

Originally posted by 0l33l
                    Did you flash the bios
                    No, I reset the settings to Default. My mobo was purchased used and I didn't want any of the previous owner's settings interfering. Looking back on it, it may not have been such a good decision.

Comment

Do you need to reinstate the "boot on power resume" or summit? Or does the opus send the on signal to the board?

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey
                        No, I reset the settings to Default. My mobo was purchased used and I didn't want any of the previous owner's settings interfering. Looking back on it, it may not have been such a good decision.
                        I remember my family bought a new sony TV and I decided to play around with the settings. When I pressed the rest button it wouldn't work anymore. Turned out to be a faulty TV
                        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                          Do you need to reinstate the "boot on power resume" or summit? Or does the opus send the on signal to the board?
                          Please speak slower

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey
                            Please speak slower
                            DOES THE BIOS HAVE A RESUME ON POWER RESTORE SETTING?

ie when you put power to the PC it immediately boots up. most dektop mobos have this in the bios and Most people building a PC should know what i mean by this feature.

You see some PSUs - especialy the old mas/sproggy rely on this feature to get your PC to boot as they did not have the capability to send a start pulse.

As i have never used an Opus before so i don't know if you have to enable the start pulse somehow so maybe you had the resume setting active in the bios before which is why it worked.

PS phrases like "please speak slower" are a bit rude - especially when people are taking time to help you!

Comment

Hey man take it easy, no rudeness intended. I even included a smiley face. No need for any of that stuff.

I was confused because I thought you understood I cannot boot the computer, not even to POST. The only thing that happens is the keyboard LEDs light up for a second, then the Opus throws the 2 flash code. The CPU fan doesn't even spin up for a second.

I have reset the CMOS via the reset jumper. I disconnected all IDE cables. I checked my ground, and my battery's voltage is well over 15v. The polarity of my PWR_ON switch is fine. My fuse is in tact. I pulled the fuse for a few minutes while disconnecting the power.

I'm about to plug in a spare ATX psu... stand by for update.

Comment

Working...
                              X