How brittle is PVC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How brittle is PVC?

I'm planning a ghetto mod. I need to know how brittle PVC is at roughly 0 degrees F. I'm thinking of wrapping it with fiberglass for added strength if it's too brittle. I don't want it to break in the cold. It never hits much more than 0' F here anyway.

I think I'm going to make a roll bar for my pickup. Not for safety, but for looks and to mount a light bar on. I'm thinking I may want to put my hand on it and jump out of the back of my truck without it flexing too much or breaking.

Since there are no stock roll bars made for my truck since it's so new, and they are way too much money to have custom built. I was thinking about PVC pipe.

Any thoughts?

BTW: this would be an intigration as mart of a larger ghetto mod.
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Nothing huh?
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

instead of PVC, consider ABS. The black stuff is more vinyle less brittle in the cold.. though, it may 'flex' more than PVC. This may take some investigation.
      •Micke

Comment

Dude, don't do that...have some welding shop make a real one or just wait for a real one to come out (can't imagine it being long)...I would feel really bad putting a PVC "roll bar" on the back of my brand spanking new pickup...

Comment

Yea,
          I've seen PVC roll cages before, and it seems a little too Rice for me... Don't do it... Go all the way with metal, or don't go at all.
          http://www.jeepmp3.com/
          CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
          Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

PVC = stronger than ABS, usually less expensive and easier to find
            ABS = Chemically resilliant, Very Lightweight

I wouldn't recommend either of these materials for what you're doing...unless this larger ghetto mod involves spudgunning
            I hope the mods don't realize I can still post.

Comment

Originally posted by rockthevolvo
              PVC = stronger than ABS, usually less expensive and easier to find
              ABS = Chemically resilliant, Very Lightweight

I wouldn't recommend either of these materials for what you're doing...unless this larger ghetto mod involves spudgunning
              Spudgunnin is the ****
              The hairspray ones are okay, but the pneumatic are the best, imho
              Mozilla Search Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by nottastocker
                Spudgunnin is the ****
                The hairspray ones are okay, but the pneumatic are the best, imho
                pneumatic ones allow for semi-automatic action.

if you use the proper ratios and fuels (like butane), then combustion guns can fire just as far.

Comment

I rigged up a sprinkler valve to a wireless doorbells from walmart.... remote firing
                  ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
                    I rigged up a sprinkler valve to a wireless doorbells from walmart.... remote firing
                    me and a friend built a breech loading system, and we used our knowledge of physics to build an ultra-efficient combustion chamber.

right now im working on building a super-accurate spud rifle.

Comment

i wouldnt recommend doing the roll cage thing with PVC. if you do get into an accident the plastic can snap and hit you.

rockthevolvo....lets see some pics
                      I made a "spud" gun back in the day with PVC. It was badass. We used to throw nails n crap in there. we also made one with a smaller size barrel and chamber for shooting pennies. The force was enough to bend the pennies when it hit concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by rockthevolvo
                        pneumatic ones allow for semi-automatic action.

if you use the proper ratios and fuels (like butane), then combustion guns can fire just as far.
                        butane? dude you know nothing of potato cannons...
                        Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
                        Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
                        S2000 Carputer

Comment

Working...
                        X