New Car time - need help deciding...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car time - need help deciding...

Ok, I'm going to buy a new car - something in the 30-40k range.

At this point, I'm weighing a Bimmer 330c/x/i or a new VW Touareg. I like that the bimmer has the iBus; but the Touareg that we looked at is a sweet SUV and it's pretty damn loaded for the price. It's basically a Porsche Cayenne with a VW engine. It drives like a car and has all the fun stuff like leather, v8 engine, air-ride adjustment, etc.

Sooo... I'm trying to decide if I should get a Touareg - which has a lot of 'hack' potential; or a BMW 330 (which has iBus).

I want both of them, but I can't have them both right now - hence my cunundrum and this post. What are your guys' thoughts?

Should I go with the loaded VW SUV or the loaded BMW Sedan? Is there another German car/suv that I should consider instead?

Thanks and Kind regards,
    CB
    DashPC - The Linux Car (since 1999).

Dash LCD, Via Epia, GPS, XM, OBDII, DSSC Shutdown Controller.

As seen in the book Geek My Ride

I say SUV

The BMW is a nice car but it seems you only want it for the iBUS

get the SUV cause you can use the space and the nice features

All thoese features beat the BMW for your purposes

Thats just what I think
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

Comment

Why aren't you looking into cars like the IS300?
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by cbergeron
        Ok, I'm going to buy a new car - something in the 30-40k range.

At this point, I'm weighing a Bimmer 330c/x/i or a new VW Touareg. I like that the bimmer has the iBus; but the Touareg that we looked at is a sweet SUV and it's pretty damn loaded for the price. It's basically a Porsche Cayenne with a VW engine. It drives like a car and has all the fun stuff like leather, v8 engine, air-ride adjustment, etc.

Sooo... I'm trying to decide if I should get a Touareg - which has a lot of 'hack' potential; or a BMW 330 (which has iBus).

I want both of them, but I can't have them both right now - hence my cunundrum and this post. What are your guys' thoughts?

Should I go with the loaded VW SUV or the loaded BMW Sedan? Is there another German car/suv that I should consider instead?

Thanks and Kind regards,
        CB

I am generally anti-SUV... but here is my 2 pfenings

I would say Toureg is a better choice of the two since it is a hell of a lot more useful, and if you don't care for exteme sportiness, then its the way to go. Do check your prices though. V6 Toureg might not be enough for your adrenaline glands and the bigger engines might put you out of the price range you want.

I am a bit biased towards hatchbacks/station wagons, so I would recommend checking out Audi A4 or A6

Or on totally impractical side, check out SLK350

And I vote against both BMW and Mercedes SUV's since the first out is barely larger than the station wagons from BMW (those I would recommend) and the second one is still lacking in quality.
        I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
          Why aren't you looking into cars like the IS300?
          He wants a German car, not a German car wannabe

Comment

Originally posted by rushnrockt
            He wants a German car, not a German car wannabe
            Last time I checked, the IS300 was better than the 3-series.
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Also, another great car in your price range is the GS300/430. Lexus is coming out with a new model, so the older ones should be on discount
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I say SUV
                1990 Jeep Cherokee
                2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Also, another great car in your price range is the GS300/430. Lexus is coming out with a new model, so the older ones should be on discount
                  Do you by any chance have Lexus branded on your ***?
                  As far as IS300 being better than BMW, that's highly arguable. Most of the tests I've seen have BMW edge out IS300 by the slightest margin. I don't have a personal opinion on that, but I do think IS300 is a better value, as are most Lexus, Acura or Infinity cars compared to euro-lux. However when people choose German cars, for the most part the "better value" and "better car" come second to the "kind of car." And German car wins out in that respect to most.

So since the question was for German cars, that's what I was recommending.
                  I just want my A3 when it comes out here.

Comment

Oll30 -

Was machts du? Dieses auto nichts sind Deutscher! Ich mochte Deutsches auto nur!

Jokes aside, I've owned Japanese, several American(Chevy _and_ Ford), and German cars. Of them, I've been most impressed with the engineering and thoughtfulness of the German cars. I am by no means saying that I'll only buy German though. I'd much rather have a "perfect car" for my price range regardless of the Country/Make/Model.

I'll look at the GS/IS's. One of my good friends has an IS (the SUV, I think it's the IS) and I absolutely love it. I'm not sure if it's in my price range though. When I said 30-40k range, I meant between 30 and 40 _period.

I want all the bells and whistles, _except_ for the Factory Nav. system. I'm not going to pay $2500 quid for something I already have.

If the dealer is lucky, I'll buy a housing for $100 so I can hack it.
                    DashPC - The Linux Car (since 1999).

Dash LCD, Via Epia, GPS, XM, OBDII, DSSC Shutdown Controller.

As seen in the book Geek My Ride

Comment

As far as IS300 being better than BMW, that's highly arguable. Most of the tests I've seen have BMW edge out IS300 by the slightest margin. I don't have a personal opinion on that, but I do think IS300 is a better value, as are most Lexus, Acura or Infinity cars compared to euro-lux. However when people choose German cars, for the most part the "better value" and "better car" come second to the "kind of car." And German car wins out in that respect to most.
                      I am a bit bias... the IS300 and the GS300 have the same engine as in my car. Plus, I think the lexus vehicles look better than the 3-series. I personally have seen too many 3s around LA, and they usually cut you off
                      GammaControl v2.4
                      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

If you don't do anything that does not require an SUV I would go for the 330 since the SUV would just be a waste of fuel. And if you do go slight off roading for camping, skiing, etc. you can always get the 330xi. The BMW is a very fun car to drive and I would recommend it. Another German car you might consider is maybe the A4 and if you like performance go for the S4 I haven't seen too many Audi carputers around so that should be a challenge...

Comment

Originally posted by linuxkoder
                          I haven't seen too many Audi carputers around so that should be a challenge...
                          You must not have searched
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

So since the question was for German cars, that's what I was recommending.
                            I just want my A3 when it comes out here.
                            I agree. If it wasn't for the price, insurance, maintence, and reliability issues of owning a BMW I would definitely go for the 3 series. But I like my IS a lot as well. Also every idiot frat kid at my school drives a 3 series...

Comment

You must not have searched
                              Haven't tried that yet, been lurking for awhile though...

Comment

Working...
                              X