Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone palyed around with Traffic Signal changers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone palyed around with Traffic Signal changers?

I guess they are called MIRT and have been for sale online for some time now. Anyone have experience with these? Are they really that effective?

I wonder about the legalitys about using that device lol.
    Any other direction that also has a green light (usually the opposite direction) will first get a yellow light, then red.
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

yeah, legality wise they are one of those "do not pass go" times of your life...

but as far as how the device works it basically is just a strobe light that pulses to a certain timing... I read an article a long time ago that suggested just setting up a video camera and doing a frame by frame count to figure out the timings... and then just build a $2 circuit (555 timer) with a $4 strobe...
      #1... you will be noticed for using it, it will be a bright strobe flash shining forward...
      #2... cities that have the light changers installed probably have cameras setup at some intersections (if not all major), so you will be recorded...

so just don't be shocked if this backfires... but otherwise, HAVE FUN!!
      EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Originally posted by mgithens
        yeah, legality wise they are one of those "do not pass go" times of your life...

but as far as how the device works it basically is just a strobe light that pulses to a certain timing... I read an article a long time ago that suggested just setting up a video camera and doing a frame by frame count to figure out the timings... and then just build a $2 circuit (555 timer) with a $4 strobe...
        #1... you will be noticed for using it, it will be a bright strobe flash shining forward...
        #2... cities that have the light changers installed probably have cameras setup at some intersections (if not all major), so you will be recorded...

so just don't be shocked if this backfires... but otherwise, HAVE FUN!!
        correct me if im wrong but would that work if u did it with IR like MIRT did?
        "MIRT" (MOBILE INFRARED TRANSMITTER) would it work the same

EDIT LEGAL: "I wont do it I'd get caught"
        .______
        | '_ |__\___
        [(o)|___(o)] XB
        ._________
        | I__I I_I|_\__I
        [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

I tried to build one but it was hard to get the right frequency. They are not legal in Ca, and are only useful in cities that have the units in place on the signal. Not too many have them...yet. I bet with the computer in our cars it would be a lot easier now to get the right frequency. All you need is a xenon tube at 10 hz. There are actually 2 bands. High priority and low. The high is about 14 hz and the only difference would be that a high priority would take presidence over the low. Some public transportation uses low priority to stay on schedule.
          2.4 celeron
          150 watt OPUS
          micro atx
          xp pro
          tv/radio tuner card
          audigy
          Dual monitor Radeon
          802.11G Mimo
          xm pcr
          dvd
          gps
          8" Lilliput touch screen
          IGuidance
          dual optimas
          battery isolator
          15" screen
          My Truck

Comment

I would imagine that flashing light isn't illegal.. it's the way you do it that is ..

could be raised in court and batled, but in the end, you would be busted..

Comment

Originally posted by Don 944 LA
              I would imagine that flashing light isn't illegal.. it's the way you do it that is ..

could be raised in court and batled, but in the end, you would be busted..
              just claim you have been abducted by aliens before and this is to stop you being abducted again.

Comment

yeah, wear your aluminum foil hat to court...
                EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Its a very fast flashing. 10 times per second. You could even be busted for impercinating an officer if they wanted to be dicks. It looks like the strobes they have that alternate left-right. But those arent the ones that change the light. The one that does is near the rear view mirror. What you can do is put an infrared filter over the strobe. It makes the light invisible but still triggers the light. Thats what the busses use.
                  2.4 celeron
                  150 watt OPUS
                  micro atx
                  xp pro
                  tv/radio tuner card
                  audigy
                  Dual monitor Radeon
                  802.11G Mimo
                  xm pcr
                  dvd
                  gps
                  8" Lilliput touch screen
                  IGuidance
                  dual optimas
                  battery isolator
                  15" screen
                  My Truck

Comment

you got the plans to make one? hehe
                    1990 Jeep Cherokee
                    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mgithens
                      yeah, wear your aluminum foil hat to court...
                      Dude, you're killin me!
                      So far:
                      M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112
                        Dude, you're killin me!
                        me too, someone do a quick photochop of Boris with his hat on!

Comment

Hmm this is interesting. I wonder if these things really work
                          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                            Hmm this is interesting. I wonder if these things really work
                            The foil hats? dunno, but i haven't been 'probed' yet!

Next time i see an ambulance i am gonna look for one and see it go through the red lights.

Comment

I believe how this works (cuz in South Florida it does) is that busses have that strobe on the top. I originally thought it was for marking "handicapped" equipped busses, but this thread makes me think otherwise.

I know that late at night if u flash yer high beams at the intersections as you are coming to it, it will cycle to green for you as long as there is no traffic in the opposite direction (usually only works LATE LATE at night)
                              (All done)
                              iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Working...
                              X