Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Your Help!!!!

OK, very strange senario

A while ago, a buddy of mine wanted to upgrade from his 40gig hdd to a 200gig. So I ghosted the 40 gig to the 200 gig and set the 2000 gig as the C drive and the 40 gig as the F drive (he has two optical drives). I decided not to format the 40 gig, so that he would have a backup incase the 200gig crashed.

Well.....somehow....the system is now booting off of the F drive. The F drive(40 gig) is so load and annoying he just wants to get rid of it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to migrate the system back to the 200 gig. The problem is all of the files point to "F:\...."...so i cant just ghost it straight over the C drive and call it "C:".

My plan is to partition the 200 gig into two 100 gig partitions, call partiition 1 C, and partition 2 F. This way I can copy the 40 gig to the second partition. Problem is....how do i tell the system to now boot off of the second parition on the 200 gig?
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

half hour and despirate bump!
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
      half hour and despirate bump!
      Boot to a DOS disk or to a Windows CD and go into the repair tool.
      You need to change the BOOT.INI on the new drive, then boot into Windows once with the old drive disconnected.
      The new BOOT.INI should look like this:
      [boot loader]
      timeout=30
      default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
      [operating systems]
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
      If it boots fine with the new BOOT.INI and the single HDD, you're set.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

even if i'm trying to boot into the second partition its still partition(1)?..

...also whats tool can I use in the Windows CD repair tool to edit the boot.ini?
        PC Components:
        My work log

Comment

I don't spend a lo9t of time int he Windows repair...
          Is there no EDIT? I can't remember.

If worse comes to worse, get a boot disk here: http://www.bootdisk.com/
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
          X