Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the trend grows

<rant>

So, I was at Spring Break Nationals this past weekend in Daytona Beach. Saw a lot of beautiful cars and whatnot. I saw 5 that had carputers in them, and three of them had people who knew about the car standing by them. One person I talked to was going on and on and on about how it had this drive soft system in it, and it was the greatest system since a wax cylinder and a needle. I proceded to ask him how much it cost, and he says "It was so cheap, the system cost us $3500, plus installation" Now, he didnt know how much installation cost, but I am imagineing that it wasn't bubblegum wrappers. Is this how these systems are going to be viewed in the consumer market? Things that only the rich can afford. Granted, they will never be as cheap as a low end head unit, but still, $3500 plus install is really rediculous. And on top of it, from the way they were talking about these things, they only had an idea of about half the stuff that they are really capeable of. Basically a big iPod and GPS. I really hope that this isn't the direction carputers go.

</rant>

Originally posted by techy101
    <rant>

So, I was at Spring Break Nationals this past weekend in Daytona Beach. Saw a lot of beautiful cars and whatnot. I saw 5 that had carputers in them, and three of them had people who knew about the car standing by them. One person I talked to was going on and on and on about how it had this drive soft system in it, and it was the greatest system since a wax cylinder and a needle. I proceded to ask him how much it cost, and he says "It was so cheap, the system cost us $3500, plus installation" Now, he didnt know how much installation cost, but I am imagineing that it wasn't bubblegum wrappers. Is this how these systems are going to be viewed in the consumer market? Things that only the rich can afford. Granted, they will never be as cheap as a low end head unit, but still, $3500 plus install is really rediculous. And on top of it, from the way they were talking about these things, they only had an idea of about half the stuff that they are really capeable of. Basically a big iPod and GPS. I really hope that this isn't the direction carputers go.

</rant>

On a bright side, Sports Compact Car magazine had an article about.... Mini Mac. And they were talking about its low price point and small size, make it an ideal candidate for an automotive application. Add that up with rumors of Apple's aim at home AND car entertainment... I think drivesoft will need to consider some price cuts and rebates
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

You know, I really have very little respect for the people that just buy the entire system installed. And absolutely no respect for anyone running drivesoft.

Having parts of the system done for is fine. Maybe you don't know how to fiberglass, maybe you simply don't have enough time to wire an entire car for sound, maybe you just don't know your *** from a screwdriver. But if you do some of the work to put together a somewhat working system, you can hang with me, and I will treat you as an equal.
      2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
      7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
      80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

amen brother
        肚子笑痛了
        S60 Install

Comment

Yeah, I've had to have help with some of my fabrication stuff. I had to have a bit of help having someone show me the proper way too install an amp. Cuz when I started my carputer, I had NO knowledge of cars. It was I put the key in, turn it, and poof, everything works, and i press the pedal and it went. But I took the time when I was having these things done to watch, and learn. So now I can do it myself.

Comment

i feel much better about having the shop do my monitor now
            i was starting to feel like a cheater ^_^
            fiberglassin n bondo just aint my thing *trust me my cardboard cutouts, wood projects w/ glue work were crappy in school*
            but all the electrical and software stuff was right up my alley.

Comment

Oh, and if anyone cares, Here are some pictures from SBN.

And here are the pictures of my personal favorite car . This person actually did his carputer from scratch, and a mighty beautiful install if I must say so,

Comment

Looked at the pictures. Some of the rides were very very sweet.
                Lots of work going on.

Some of it just seems silly to me. Examples:
                Putting video screens in place of taillights?
                Putting a video screen in the engine bay?

Screw all that. When I put together a ride, I want to be able to drive it. You get more looks when your sweet-looking dreamcar is rolling down the boulevard than you do when it's parked on shag carpet & mirrors at a show.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You know were going to be telling our grand kids that we were the pioneers of carputers.. I mean think about it were the ones that are driving the market.. we build it and a few years later the big companies are doing it..

I have a Hacked iopener in my daytona three years ago.. alli did was MP3 and had great plans for gps but it just wasnt working for the gps without a touch screen.. but i had a 10" screen and windows 95 and loads of MP3's way befor eany one had a MP# deck in there car.. Now im building a truckputer that does mp3 movies dvd's, gps radio tv and so much more.. for under $800.. heck for $30 i can just add dolby surround.. you can't find a production headunit that does half that for anything close to that price.

We are pioneering the "car multimedia system"

And I agree if you just buy it your not alowed to have it, you got to build it your self.
                  Truck PC status

Truck PC is in the living room playing tunes 24/7

Need Opus Power supply and need to fab reeen into dash..

Need a good GPS solution

Comment

Originally posted by ebacherville
                    You know were going to be telling our grand kids that we were the pioneers of carputers.. I mean think about it were the ones that are driving the market.. we build it and a few years later the big companies are doing it..

We are pioneering the "car multimedia system"
                    Did this give anyone else just the warmest, fuzziest feeling they've had today?

Thanks Ebacher
                    Mind Scream out

Comment

Originally posted by kiltjim
                      You know, I really have very little respect for the people that just buy the entire system installed. And absolutely no respect for anyone running drivesoft.

Having parts of the system done for is fine. Maybe you don't know how to fiberglass, maybe you simply don't have enough time to wire an entire car for sound, maybe you just don't know your *** from a screwdriver. But if you do some of the work to put together a somewhat working system, you can hang with me, and I will treat you as an equal.
                      Originally posted by jcdillin
                      amen brother
                      Why is it when I say something like that, I get called an *******?
                      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!
                      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

To me, the graphics on those cars were disgusting and somebody should tell those people that stickers detract from your ride. They are not asthetically pleasing. If I go through the trouble to shave everything to clean it up, why the Hell would I dirty it up again by adding all that ****?
                        2.4 celeron
                        150 watt OPUS
                        micro atx
                        xp pro
                        tv/radio tuner card
                        audigy
                        Dual monitor Radeon
                        802.11G Mimo
                        xm pcr
                        dvd
                        gps
                        8" Lilliput touch screen
                        IGuidance
                        dual optimas
                        battery isolator
                        15" screen
                        My Truck

Comment

@WizardPC Is it because people don't like you? I'm kidding. Maybe because you called for the banning of the wannabes, and the first person who responded just happen to think that his brand new, not-even-turned-on (because of course, he doesn't know how) cappacino PC is the most awesome thing since the automatic transmission.

I happen to agree with you.
                          2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
                          7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
                          80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Originally posted by techy101
                            It was I put the key in, turn it, and poof, everything works, and i press the pedal and it went.
                            So that's how you get acar to move. Wow, you learn something everyday!

Peace,

Rafster
                            Post # 3000

Comment

I can't totally say that the people who buy pre-built systems are (insert adjetive here)'s because I know one person who did, but spent the time to learn about it, installed it, and did a darn beautiful job. He is much more of a car person than a computer person. But, the difference that I see is that he knows what he has in his car. It's not like one guy at SBN that I talked to. When I would ask a quesion like "how fast is it" or "how much ram in in it" i would get the "fast enough" or "enough" answer. But i bet that if i asked him any bit about the stereo he could ramble for an hour. Is it too much to ask for people to learn a bit about what they're installing? Especially people who pride themselves in their installs.

Comment

Working...
                              X