Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dumb question. how do you turn on the pc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb question. how do you turn on the pc?

freaking a. sorry guys, but this is a dumb question. how do you turn on the pc when there is not power switch. jeeze, i should of thought about this before even making the carputer!
    -=Heedunk=-
    '99 Civic Si
    Electron Blue

its an ATX ps. the mobo is an Abit bx6
    -=Heedunk=-
    '99 Civic Si
    Electron Blue

Comment

You will need a switch up front. The power switch on ATX mother boards are just simple switches connected to a header on the motherboard.. So you can just buy a switch at radio shack, run two long wires back to the motherboard and hook it up...

Some motherboards have the option in the cmos to turn on when power is applied, you might want to check for that as well.
      MP3 Cavalier - http://www.mp3cavalier.com
      MP3 Grand Prix - http://www.mp3gp.com

Comment

What I am going to do is get the auto on/off relay, that way I don't have to worry about switching it off and on. Plus I am trying to keep it a mobile as possible (in and out of car), it would be a pain to unhook the switch from the MB each time I want to take the computer out of the car.
        http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
        Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

I have that atx autoff module, but i dont want it to turn on the pc all the time. i only want the pc to be one when the inverter is on. anyways, how do you guys deal with the inverter. i have no problem with turning it on, but i want it to shut off automatically when the car is off.. i believe the autoff module only turns off the pc, and not the inverter.
          -=Heedunk=-
          '99 Civic Si
          Electron Blue

Comment

simply wire the inverter to an accessory powerline this way it turns on and of with the car, or use a relay and have it come on with a remote lead.

Comment

can I just use a 12v distribution block so my inverter, camera, and santeca tv tuner can connect to it and then just connect block to the accessory powerline?
              -=Heedunk=-
              '99 Civic Si
              Electron Blue

Comment

My setup goes from Battery -> 30A fuse -> Auto Off -> Fuse Block -> 30A fuse -> Inverter w/ 30A fuse -> Plugin Strip -> Computer, HD Transformer, Screen Switch Box.

The fuse block is used to control other devices when the auto-off is activated. It works really nice. There is a switch inline with the computer power switch to reboot/turn off manually. I use powerchute for auto off, and then there is also a remote wire so I can turn the PC on/off via the remote. Also, when I start the car, it will automatically turn on either by remote or key.

Ok, done rambling. Auto-Off works great.

Comment

I would use the auto off, but i dont want the pc to turn on automatically cause i will only use the pc on long distance trips. theres no need to power it if im only driving for 5 minutes.
                  -=Heedunk=-
                  '99 Civic Si
                  Electron Blue

Comment

i came a cross a simple auto off device, allowing ~8minutes of runtime after the computer has been turned off. This allows me to go into a shop, or something, and get back the the car and still have the computer running, avioding 1-2mins of boot time. after 8 minutes it is shut off. for info on it, (and schematic) have a look at my site and look at the powersupply section, there u will find a schematic
                    http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
                    Australian mp3car Portal
                    mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
                    mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
                    -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

good ideas, but i only want to turn on the pc when i go on long distance trips.. so this is what i want. I want the computer to turn on automatically ONLY when the inverter is turned on by me. Then I want the inverter and computer to turn off automatically when the key is out of the ignition.
                      -=Heedunk=-
                      '99 Civic Si
                      Electron Blue

Comment

does the autoff automatically turn off/on the pc as well as the inverter?
                        -=Heedunk=-
                        '99 Civic Si
                        Electron Blue

Comment

this is what I want to do. please tell me if theres anything wrong with it or IF you have any suggestions. I have the auto-off module, but I dont really want to use it unless you can disable the power on function. I dont want the pc to turn on unless I am going on a long distance trip.

-=Heedunk=-
                          '99 Civic Si
                          Electron Blue

Comment

can u simply chnage a setting in your bios to boot when power is applied, I believe that some atx boards have this option.
                            http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
                            Australian mp3car Portal
                            mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
                            mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
                            -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

mine doesnt have that option. anyways, can someone look at my diagram and tell me if thats a good setup or not
                              -=Heedunk=-
                              '99 Civic Si
                              Electron Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X