question involving shutdown?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question involving shutdown?

I did a quick search so I am sorry if this has been gone over and I'm a moron. I was thinking that since XP has the feature that if you press the power button it does a proper shutdown you could just connect a relay to the power button wires (the relay would then become the power switch) and power it on and off with an accessory on wire, and then just put a timer on the inverter to shut that down after the computer would have shut down. I just found this board and I LOVE it thank god for you all, really.

Ralph

P.S. I hope this makes sense

i was thinking the same but how would you put a timer on it?

Comment

btw welcome aboard :-P

Comment

Originally posted by ralphyboy1
        I did a quick search so I am sorry if this has been gone over and I'm a moron. I was thinking that since XP has the feature that if you press the power button it does a proper shutdown you could just connect a relay to the power button wires (the relay would then become the power switch) and power it on and off with an accessory on wire, and then just put a timer on the inverter to shut that down after the computer would have shut down. I just found this board and I LOVE it thank god for you all, really.

Ralph

P.S. I hope this makes sense
        this is how the opus works, to start and stop the computer its connected to the power switch header and the opus "presses" the power button

i used to have my central locking connected to the power button header, it turned out to be more trouble than its worth
        Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
          i was thinking the same but how would you put a timer on it?
          I have not figured that out yet but it can't be to dificult of a circut (famous last words ) If you could find a turbo timer real cheap (not likely and way more than you would need) that would work but I thought there was something wrong with my thought process I have not looked to far into it. I'll go do that now I guess.

Ralph

Comment

I found this http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/..._sunroof_open/ which uses this relay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW as you can see it is about 20 bucks shipped but it looks like it would work for our aplication

Ralph

Comment

For about $40, you can get that and much more: http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=58

Consider the flexibility a circuit like this would give you and the parts necessary to finish the job with the one you've posted. The difference may be worth just purchasing one.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

i agree with bugbyte why go through the hassle and end up paying almost the same ammount when you can just buy it for that much ready to use

Comment

yo purchase an elk 960 delay timer and should help in yo fight. I have one that I'm working on as we speak. My pc takes 26 secs to completely shutdown. I have my elk set to 30 so after the pc shuts down the delay will make an open circuit to my computer which entails is Zero power usages after leaving the car. I bought it for like 16 dollars. Oh yea, I'm running a opus 150 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                    For about $40, you can get that and much more: http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=58

Consider the flexibility a circuit like this would give you and the parts necessary to finish the job with the one you've posted. The difference may be worth just purchasing one.
                    That is a pretty cool piece, I guess I should look here first from now on Now, that connects to your PC and could you use it to power down a inverter rather than the power supply. I want the inverter off completely and the timer would go on that at the power switch. If that would work in the same way I'd be down but for a little less than 25 bucks I could get it to work the other way to (off delay relay and a regular relay). I don't know I was just asking and it looks like I did not search good enough if this is how everybody does it My money pit right now is my sr20det swap in my 240sx so the car pc has to come after that.

Comment

Working...
                    X